The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to?

Rate this topic

Anyone here grow up on the prairies ever get to Grayson Saskatchewan, Barn 22? Near Melville (Yorkton for less prairie familiar folks?)

I saw Trooper many times, not in Grayson, just found this poster.   

image.jpeg.fc29406f13ee86b746c7bfb2bd77cbb7.jpeg     

I used to load up my first car, a 76' Chrysler Cordoba. Take my two sisters, Uncle Jon (he was just a few years older than me, kept losing his license) & about 6 cousins in the trunk, underage & for free admission. Getting in was like drive in movies, a gate at the side of the highway. Long weekends we'd see bands like these, biggest was Nazareth, who would stop 1/2 way between Regina & Winnipeg to light up a prairie night. We'd squeak back home to a neighboring town the next morning.

^ Linked a whole album.

Toronto's version of Meatloaf?  :gocan:

Some of this was lost in that barn many times.  

• Upvote 1

Here in Oz every July there is a festival called Splendour in the Grass, Byron Bay. Have to go! Growing up we found lots of grass at Clear Lake in Riding Mountain.

Alda Nova played one weekend, the perogy Ukrainian festival next. 

We celebrated grad a few weeks early to see the Hip at Hecla Island. 

Road trips the theme, anyone else got some stories...

I'll go anywhere for a show, got deep pockets on this subject. Just gettin started!

• Like 1

Said the Whale?  Plus one! Lived in Van from 89 through 2001.  A band that Passed through after me...

My friend Ray and I drove from Abbotsford after the bar closed on a Sat night; to catch Sunday's Waking up the Neighbours tour in Osoyoos. 91, 92? Ray was a wannabee race car driver, and we were drunk.  To my (lucid) memory we arrived about an hour later; got lost looking for camping & parked in a peach field. Popped a few beans or a hit of something & started looking at stars.

A farmer woke us up and charged us $40 bucks to stay about 4 AM.  LMAO, it was right across a small field from the grandstand entry. We were oblivious. By noon about 50 cars had paid the farmer & we were partying hard. The ACTUAL campground was about 3 km back down a hill & it was 40 degree's.  There was this great big sign at the entry; no coolers, containers or spirits allowed in festival.  One by one thousands of people plunked their booze at our camp site, not wanting to take it back down & up the hill again.  Everyone stayed a while; why waste cold drink & to make friends? This hacky-sack & doobie party was bigger at the gate than inside; we missed most support acts, Grapes of Wrath, Extreme.  Did see Bryan Adam's of course, Steve Miller and Sheryl Crow as dinner was approaching.  Funny enough, we took peoples' eskie's inside, sold their beer, used them for seats.  There was sooooo much booze left over, we & a cpl hundred others stayed in the field a cpl more nights.

Shootin Peaches! :wub:

• Upvote 1

I went to a nightclub in Chilliwack, to see Bryan Henderson from, well, Chilliwack. 

I tried to hold to a front rail spot in the loft balcony to watch. Somebody tried, well did punch me out for my vantage point.  A brawl erupted.  Somehow my friends got kicked out but not me.  Although I had to kinda listen from the back & hitchhike home. No luck of any other sort either; It wasn't a great night...

• Upvote 1

Never seen Eddie, nor Pearl Jam.  :blush:

I love Jimmy Morrison like anything; But I reckon this as good as anyone who will ever deliver vocals in a Rock N' Roll song!  It Ballad's, it Bowls, There is Grunge, and polish as it picks up speed.

Is it better live? Both ridiculous...  

• Like 1