The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

How does Raonic lose ranking points, when he made it to the 3rd round of the Australian Open?

He's down 3 spots to 28th, he was at 25th before the Open.

Because whoever has more points then him in the preceding 12 months is ahead of him. So the 3 people who jumped him have earned more points in the last 12 months.

That's why.

Anyone else think it sucks we have to wait until May 27th for the French Open to start?

Edited by Roger Federer

The ranking system is all the points you've acumulated from tournaments over the past 12 months. He made it to the 4th round last year, so that was 180 points. The points from the australian open are basically replaced by the points he got this year.. Since he only made it to the 3rd round this year, he only earned 90 points. So since he did worse than last year, he actually effectively lost 90 points

• 2 weeks later...

Tough opponent for Pospisil. Tsonga is unreal. Has the potential to be top 3 IMO.

So far so good for Raonic though. He's playing great.

I wish they'd had this tourney at a bigger venue with a few cheaper tickets. It's would have garnered a lot more interest. Still, it's cool to have high end tennis in Vancouver.

Isner beat Federer in their Davis Cup match. I'm curious to see if Fed wins a slam this season.

Tough opponent for Pospisil. Tsonga is unreal. Has the potential to be top 3 IMO.

So far so good for Raonic though. He's playing great.

I wish they'd had this tourney at a bigger venue with a few cheaper tickets. It's would have garnered a lot more interest. Still, it's cool to have high end tennis in Vancouver.

Isner beat Federer in their Davis Cup match. I'm curious to see if Fed wins a slam this season.

Well, as long as Nole, Rafa, Fed, and Murray are around, the max Tsonga will go is #5. When 2/4 are gone then it's possible. The problem for Tsonga right now, is sometimes he doesn't show up for matches. An example is at the Aussie Open, he lost to Nishikori where it looked like for the most part he didn't care.

Also, I can almost gurantee that Fed makes the finals for Wimbledon. He is the king of grass and he's been playing his best tennis since the 2010 Aussie Open.

^ Totally agree. His biggest setback is his indifference in certain matches. A guy of his caliber should have beaten Nishikori and instead he barely showed up and didn't use any of his trademark shots to his advantage. Tsonga and Monfils definitely have a cockiness to their games which is great but it can sometimes lead to them getting over confident at times.

Great win by Raonic. He played really well and it wasn't just about his serve. He played some great shots too.

And France takes the second set 7-6 (2). I don't understand why but Canada hasn't adjusted to Frances return game. It's destroying them, and by now you'd think they adjust but they haven't. The result of that is being down 2 sets to love.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to Milos! Successful defense of his San Jose title and also the rankings points. Soon to be onward and upward towards the Top 10. Playing again this week at Memphis. Up against Gulbis in first round. He should cruise thru this guy.

Milos just beat Gulbis 6-2 7-6. All the other seeds on his side of the draw LOST today. He has a very clear path to the final. He gets #68 Sergiy Stakhovsky in the 2nd round. A win would set up a QF rematch with 19 yo up and comer Ryan Harrison or possibly Oliver Rochus.