The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

• 1 month later...

Murray loses to Tipsarevic in opening match at Abu Dhabi:

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates -- Andy Murray had a shaky start to his preparations for the 2013 season Thursday, losing in straight sets to Janko Tipsarevic in the opening match of the World Tennis Championship exhibition tournament.

Two early breaks in each set helped Tipsarevic dispatch the third-ranked Murray 6-3, 6-4. The ninth-ranked Serb now faces Nicolas Almagro, a late replacement for Rafael Nadal who pulled out of the tournament with a stomach bug.

"It's not every day that you get to play a Grand Slam champion and an Olympic gold medallist ," Tipsarevic said. "I know it's an early season tournament but I can tell you that the six of us take this very seriously. I knew I could beat Andy as I have beaten him before. He's a totally different animal now as he won a Grand Slam and Olympic gold so beating him here has given me confidence. Both of us have very similar games so it's great to come out on top."

In Thursday's other match, fifth-ranked David Ferrer swept aside No. 6 Tomas Berdych 6-2, 6-4 to set up a semifinal against top-ranked Novak Djokovic, who won the tournament last year. Ferrer easily won the first set after jumping out to a 5-0 lead and broke Berdych early in the second to clinch the win.

"I played well today and I was surprised as it has been a long time without playing a competition," Ferrer said. "It's a fast court and this was the first time I played at night but I played a good game. I will enjoy a victory for now but tomorrow I will have to play my best against Novak."

Ahead of his title defence in Abu Dhabi, Djokovic said he was excited about the 2013 season and that he's making the French Open -- the only Grand Slam tournament he has yet to win -- his top goal of the year.

"I managed to have the best year of my career in 2011 and I knew that it was going to be difficult in 2012 to maintain No. 1 in the world and play consistently," Djokovic said. "I did, and so this year was an even more successful year from a psychological aspect. ... Ambitions are always high and I want to win every Grand Slam and major tournament I play and this year is no different."

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=412327

Rafa pulled out of the Australian Open due to a "stomach virus". I seriously doubt that's the reason he's pulled out. His knee obviously hasn't recovered like he hoped it would. I hope it gets better soon..Tennis isn't the same without him.

He's only 26 too. It would be really sad if a legend like him was forced to retire while he was still in his prime.

The ATP tour is not the same without him.

His absense also means that he won't be coming to Vancouver for the Davis Cup tournament against Canada. Ferrer and Almagro also will not be participating. Should make it an easy win for Raonic and co. but it would have been nice to watch those guys play. Not every day that Vancouver gets to host the best in tennis like that.

Always liked Federer more than Nadal, but sad to see Nadal hit the wall like that. I think everyone knew it was coming with the way he played and how he got so many injuries to his knees and legs. It only really goes down from there unless he changes his style.. but how do you change a style that got you so much success? Seems kind of sad that this could give Federer the nod for the greatest player ever when Nadal could've had a legitment shot at taking that crown.

Definitely sucks to not have Nadal, considering Federer is quickly approaching the twilight of his career. Murray is a headcase but has finally won and gotten the monkey off his back. Djokovic has lots of potential to be dominant. Wonder if this will give Federer some potential to sneak in some more major wins.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't wait for Davis Cup in Van again. it was so much fun last time. Anyone looking for Davis Cup ticket message me. I have extas I am looking to sell.

Be great to get some loud Canadians at UBC to cheer on the boys.

Been watching like 4-6 Aussie Open matches a day :blink:

I need a job lol

But great action

Stosur's collapse was shocking but not surprising...does that make sense?

Raonic rolling along nicely

Great to see Djokovic and Serena playing so well, especially Serena after her injury scare.

Also very impressed with the younger players on tour. Madison Keys was very impressive.

Milos up 2 sets to none. Although he's winning atm, he has a lot of unforce errors. Certainly not going to make it far in the tournament if he keeps that up, especially when Federer is probably going to be his next opponent.