The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

^

Yeah but we're in North America.

You know what I didn't get? Why some people would say Kim Yu-Na but not Asada Mao here.

:s

Random story.

This morning I was in lecture, trying to watch some Australian Open highlights. Forgot to mute my laptop, so the speakers blasted "Big upset at the Aussie Open today..." just after the prof asked a question to the class.

I did make a recovery by taking on and answering the question. Saved myself a match point there. :P

Nice! Musta attracted a few odd stares there lol.

I thought Japanese people have the surnames after first names like in English? My cousin is Japanese (half) and I've never seem him put his last name first....=S. Then again I've never seem him write his name in Japanese characters...only in English(romanized).

And HiL4, yes I know, but I was referring to everyone First Name, Last Name and thought I'd keep it consistent. Unless I'm speaking Chinese I am "MHS" not "SMH" if you catch my drift.

Edited by ckamo

@luineul, I think it may be because the Western world is finally beginning to get used to surnames first when it comes to Asian athletes?

And no, it was a pretty dead class...Except for my friend sitting next to me, some girl sitting a row in front of me who looked back, and the prof, there was no reaction otherwise. I think it was 1) too early in the morning and 2) attests to the speed of me scrambling to Fn+Mute... :P

@ckamo: I know, but I call you by your English name anyway, so I guess it's sort of irrelevant...? Unless you want me to start calling your Chinese name, but that would be awkward.

Edited by hockeyislife4

Straight sets!?

Damn what's up with RFed

Thought it would have gone 5 sets in a match between two elite players

Bit of a shift in the pro tennis era with both Nadal and Federer out

Djok is by far my fav so I'm thrilled!

I believe we are heading straight into the Boring Era of tennis. 2004-2008 was the best. Now Nadal is getting injured. Federer seems more washed up than ever. Even on the womens' side, Henin is gone. The Williams are most likely gone. You've got Wozniacki and Zvonareva in first and second? Painful to watch.

Straight sets!?

Damn what's up with RFed

Thought it would have gone 5 sets in a match between two elite players

Bit of a shift in the pro tennis era with both Nadal and Federer out

Djok is by far my fav so I'm thrilled!

It was his backhand that ultimately cost him the match, he had like 20+ backhand errors alone.

I thought Japanese people have the surnames after first names like in English? My cousin is Japanese (half) and I've never seem him put his last name first....=S. Then again I've never seem him write his name in Japanese characters...only in English(romanized).

I'm half-Japanese. In Japanese, you typically go last name-first name - at work, when talking about others, when introducing yourself with people you don't know.

@luineul, I think it may be because the Western world is finally beginning to get used to surnames first when it comes to Asian athletes?

Yeah, but it didn't make sense that one would say Mao Asada but Kim Yu-Na and not Yu-Na Kim. Not that it's a big deal or that it's annoying or anything, but I just found the inconsistency odd... lol.

I'm half-Japanese. In Japanese, you typically go last name-first name - at work, when talking about others, when introducing yourself with people you don't know.

Hm, never knew that. I wonder why my cousin never did that....