The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

WOW now this will be one of the more memorable US Opens in recent memory.

It'll probably also be one of the US Opens with the lowest TV ratings in recent memory. I'm more pumped for this final than I would be for a Djoker/Fed final, but the casual tennis fan would want the big names, especially since the final is competing with Monday Night NFL football.

I'm pulling for Nishikori, because Cilic winning would be worse for Raonic's immediate future in the Race to London, and because Nishikori really deserves this. Cilic is less than a year removed from a suspension for testing positive for a banned substance, while Kei has had a horrible year with injuries.

Kei really should have beaten Nadal in Madrid for his first M1000 title, but had to retire with injury. He missed both Toronto and Cincinnati with a toe injury. Winning the Slam would kind of make up for all the points that he should have on his ranking from all those missed tournaments, and really show where he stands among Raonic and Dimitrov, as currently the best of the three. Although, he's a full year older than Raonic, and a year-and-a-half older than Dimitrov so they should be at different points on the developmental curve.

Anyone know the team roster?

I see the usual four but who are the others...I see Shamasdin, i just saw levine...anyone else?

Also, what's the roster limit?

I saw different roster sizes from different teams.

Edited by Monteeun

Anyone know the team roster?

I see the usual four but who are the others...I see Shamasdin, i just saw levine...anyone else?

Also, what's the roster limit?

I saw different roster sizes from different teams.

The actual squad size has a limit of 4. The bench is filled with compatriots who could play but the rubber that they play in would be a forfeit by that country, regardless of the outcome of the rubber, because they weren't one of the 4 people named to the squad.

In addition to Raonic, Pospisil, Nestor, and Dancevic who were named to the team, I know Shamasdin, Levine, and Brayden Schnur were there. I find it odd that Polansky wouldn't be there but I don't know if he was. I'm also not sure about Peliwo and Diez.

The actual squad size has a limit of 4. The bench is filled with compatriots who could play but the rubber that they play in would be a forfeit by that country, regardless of the outcome of the rubber, because they weren't one of the 4 people named to the squad.

In addition to Raonic, Pospisil, Nestor, and Dancevic who were named to the team, I know Shamasdin, Levine, and Brayden Schnur were there. I find it odd that Polansky wouldn't be there but I don't know if he was. I'm also not sure about Peliwo and Diez.

Cause i swear i saw more than 4 players receiving their davis cup medals and trophys. I"m gonna go check. So i was wondering whether sparring partners count as team members

nevermind.

Actually...just found this

post-1531-0-48612600-1410731838_thumb.jp

Edited by Monteeun

Cause i swear i saw more than 4 players receiving their davis cup medals and trophys. I"m gonna go check. So i was wondering whether sparring partners count as team members

nevermind.

Actually...just found this

http://itf.uberflip.com/i/245026/3

The link is to a page in the Davis Cup rule book.

Basically, a nation is allowed a min of 3 and a max of 4 IF the captain is a playing captain (I guess some nations use a captain who is still an active player). A nation is allowed a min of 4 and a max of 5 if the captain is non-playing (as in our case).

So in the case of the photo, the winners (Czech Republic) have 5 people (4 players + captain). The runner ups (Serbia) have 6 guys which probably means 5 players + non-playing captain.

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to Li Na on her retirement from pro tennis. She will be missed. I really liked her style of play, and of course, her personality was really great too. But she did great things for Chinese tennis so she should be incredibly proud

Wimbledon final rematch in Wuhan - Kvitova vs Genie. Genie disposed of Wozniacki in pretty simple fashion in the semis.