The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

calm down buddy, you're not the one with relatives in japan and vancouver. i just thought what he said sounded rather selfish. Got it?

I'm sorry. I've just been through a lot with my family there. I didn't read what he said, I just reacted. I'm sorry about that, really.

I hope you can accept my apology.

This is too scary, again.

I must be less than 200km from that plant.

I just called my friend who is a well-known smart guy, and studied astro-physics or something

and he told me not to worry. He said the area is being or has been evacuated, and that the radiation

will dissipate and not be harmful outside of that area. He said the worst thing that will happen is that

that area will be closed off for 10 years.

I hope he's right. can't help feeling scared.

You guys are doing a great job of providing information. Anyone know what direction the wind is going?

Be safe and if you can get out of the area until we have official reports, I recommend you do so.

Whereabouts are you in Japan? My family is in Kiryu, Gunma.

he phrased it like what had happened to the japanese wasn't already bad enough..and even if a nuclear disaster were to occur, the worst case scenario would be that he would be affected while disregarding what's going to happen to those living in japan/those living near japan

...I don't understand how you could have interpreted it that way.

Take it with a grain of salt folks, but worst comes the worst, that fallout reaches us in about 10 days reportedly.

Where am I disregarding the events in Japan? All I'm stating here is the reported worst case scenario if a nuclear reactor were to explode. Yes it's more West Coast oriented because the effects to Japan in that scenario are obvious and would be Chernobyl like.

Let's just leave it at a misunderstanding and poor word structure of a sentence and forget it. We don't need an argument in this topic right now.

Edited by SarcasticPerson

I'm sorry. I've just been through a lot with my family there. I didn't read what he said, I just reacted. I'm sorry about that, really.

I hope you can accept my apology.

yea don't worry about it, just some misunderstanding i suppose

Be safe and if you can get out of the area until we have official reports, I recommend you do so.

Whereabouts are you in Japan? My family is in Kiryu, Gunma.

Must have pressed the wrong button before.

I am in Chiba, near Tokyo and Tokyo Bay.

It is eerily quiet here, except for the occasional siren.

I hope your family are safe! If the trains are reliable, I might go and stay in Tokyo.

It's ok. He's right, I'm not the only one. It's just been the stress because I haven't slept or ate really since this whole thing started. It's been 28 hours without break and I'm too high strung.

I shouldn't have reacted like that. No matter how trying this has been, what they are experiencing now is far more. They are the ones who need us.

It's ok. He's right, I'm not the only one. It's just been the stress because I haven't slept or ate really since this whole thing started. It's been 28 hours without break and I'm too high strung.

I shouldn't have reacted like that. No matter how trying this has been, what they are experiencing now is far more. They are the ones who need us.

i guess everyone will understand...you cant hide emotions at such times.

you said hoping and praying are not the same....well i´m not a guy who prays for anything

my motto is hope dies at last..but for you guys i ll make an exception and pray.

all the best from germany

I still don't think you had anything to apologise about. He clearly misunderstood Sarcastic's post.

Anyways, get some rest, seriously....you're turning into a mushy apologiser on me.tongue.gif.....and don't you dare apologise for it either!

• Upvote 1

when i said i got family in japan i didn't mean you're not the only one with family in japan..i meant im as equally concerned regarding this as you are...and that what i said had no ill-will against those in japan

Must have pressed the wrong button before.

I am in Chiba, near Tokyo and Tokyo Bay.

It is eerily quiet here, except for the occasional siren.

I hope your family are safe! If the trains are reliable, I might go and stay in Tokyo.

I know Chiba, just east of Tokyo. If you have family in the south of Japan I recommend you go there.

I have a cousin if Gifu, but they don't want to leave. If it gets worse they can go there, but I fear if the news gets worse that the train system will be overloaded with people evacuating.

They are very calm about this situation and keep telling me not to worry. Maybe we are worrying too much?

I know Chiba, just east of Tokyo. If you have family in the south of Japan I recommend you go there.

I have a cousin if Gifu, but they don't want to leave. If it gets worse they can go there, but I fear if the news gets worse that the train system will be overloaded with people evacuating.

They are very calm about this situation and keep telling me not to worry. Maybe we are worrying too much?

It's perfectly natural for you to be more worried than them. They are experiencing it and get to deal with the fear through their own practicality. You are left with powerlessness and a sense of uselessness I am guessing.

Use their strength. Trust in them.

this website im reading says they tried to used hydrogen as a cooling agent and the energy ring that goes off before the explosion is hydrogen gas.

No, it's just the shock wave from the explosion. You see it with all big blasts, regardless of the source.

Some conspiracy theorists are passing around a homemade fallout map with no citation, so I went to look for something substantive from a real event. Here's a map of the Castle Bravo nuke test fallout at Bikini Atoll in the south Pacific.

800pxbravofallout2.png

Anything over 100 rads causes illness. Looks like radiation won't get too far, although the days of burning at Chernobyl caused radioactive ash to get way up into the atmosphere. It will come this way if it's going to go anywhere.