The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

Along the pacific ring of fire, these earthquakes seem to finally be getting closer and closer to bc. So creepy. (i always fear monger). Anyways, no point in worrying.

It makes me sad that some of the hospitals in Vancouver are not even prepared for a moderate earthquake. I've heard many reports that St. Pauls hospital will not withstand a severe earthquake or even a decently sized one. At least our hospitals should be earthquake proofed as much as possible. I find it unacceptable.

Edited by The Brahma Bull
  • Upvote 1

The tsunami warning has long been called off thankfully. Hopefully these ones are just decreasing the pressure build up and reducing the impact of "the big one".

And don't forget the Virginia quake in your list.

I hope you're right that these "smaller" earthquakes could relieve pressure, but it seems unlikely that an earthquake involving the Pacific Plate and the Alaskan region of the North American plate would have any mitigating effects on the pressure build up in the subduction zone between the Juan de Fuca plate and the Cascadia region of the NA Plate. It's more likely that any relief in pressure would come from a "small" earthquake involving the Juan de Fuca subduction zone itself.

• Upvote 1

i hope that when it hits it doesnt happen during sleep time, if it has too happen atleast have it during the daytime when most people are alert and have daylight to help them.

Nothing worse than waking up to an earthquake and finding your bed all of a sudden in your kitchen.

I'm counting on a local quake happening at a time that will exponentially raise the suck level, like 2:45 AM in the dead of winter.

I'm also counting on a horribly inadequate government response, so that it might be many days if not weeks before significant help arrives. Also, I could easily envision the RCMP and local law enforcement being very heavy handed and indiscriminate when they do get back into the picture, seeing how they act even under normal circumstances.

Even in the event that we only get a less severe than expected quake that doesn't involve whole areas full of collapsed buildings, raging fires and impassible roads, it'll still suck plenty because you know how things will get just by having the power grid and water supply not operational for more than a day or two.

The big quakes come in groups of 4, saw it on discovery channel, scientific data in the soil records and they say we now have had three. The boxing day quake was one, the chili quake was two and Japan was three. We will almost certainly be #4, anytime now.

It might have been the 'passionate eye' on cbc 26.

Edited by aliboy

The big quakes come in groups of 4, saw it on discovery channel, scientific data in the soil records and they say we now have had three. The boxing day quake was one, the chili quake was two and Japan was three. We will almost certainly be #4, anytime now.

Interesting info. Was it a special or anything you were watching on discovery channel. I wouldnt mind checking that out.

I'm gonna start walking around with a helmet on at all times.

• Upvote 1

Interesting info. Was it a special or anything you were watching on discovery channel. I wouldnt mind checking that out.

I'm gonna start walking around with a helmet on at all times.

It might have been the 'passionate eye' on channel 26 cbc. The records are clear going back quite a ways into history. using soil core samples.

OK guys, tonight at 7pm on channel 42 which is Discovery might be the show I saw. I've been watching these things on 2 channels, discovery and passionate eye and can't remember which had the evidence of the soil core history. This may be the one on tonight.

its close. its coming!

Its always a good idea to be prepare. Especially those of you who have children. Make your self a kit that can get you thru approximately one week.

Most govt agencies recommend 3 days but I have enough food and water to last a couple of weeks stored in my shed. Some other items include blankets, extra clothing, a multi tool and flashlight.

I hope you're right that these "smaller" earthquakes could relieve pressure, but it seems unlikely that an earthquake involving the Pacific Plate and the Alaskan region of the North American plate would have any mitigating effects on the pressure build up in the subduction zone between the Juan de Fuca plate and the Cascadia region of the NA Plate. It's more likely that any relief in pressure would come from a "small" earthquake involving the Juan de Fuca subduction zone itself.

I didn't mean this one specifically in Alaska, just the smaller ones in the area, like the small one in Taffino a month or so ago.

Its always a good idea to be prepare. Especially those of you who have children. Make your self a kit that can get you thru approximately one week.

Most govt agencies recommend 3 days but I have enough food and water to last a couple of weeks stored in my shed. Some other items include blankets, extra clothing, a multi tool and flashlight.

It's a good idea to also have some means of defending yourself handy as the folks who didn't prepare, or were not able to recover their supplies, are going to take them away from those who have if they can.

And it goes without saying that there are a LOT more folks who've not prepared or are underprepared in the mix than those who really prepared.