The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official NHL 12 Thread.

BoKnowsHockey

Guest Voucer

The demo was terrific. I played a few matches against a friend at my place. The new shooting animations and skating look much better, and I like how size and strength play a huge factor now in hitting. Goal scoring seems more varied at this point (though this may change in the future), and hits as well as the presentation look so much better.

I like the manual one-timing mechanics. Now we can determine for ourselves whether our player will one-time the puck or fan on the shot. The goalies also let in more shots on breakwaways an penalty shots. The graphics themselves look slightly darker and more realistic, and the colors don't look as bold as in NHL 11.

I did find a glitch when my last man back froze in the slap shot position while defending. This led to a partial breakaway for my opponent.

I appreciate the new anticipation system. Players jump into the play when I want them to, they'll get into proper position, stretch themselves to stay onside, and defensemen will start swinging their sticks back-and-forth on odd-man rushes. I also noticed my AI player sprawl out to block the shot while I controlled the other defenseman. The jostling and battling at the front of the net also adds a new dimension to the game, making it more difficult to walk into the slot, and forcing players to work together.

Goaltenders still make mistakes. I tried a loose-puck deke in front of Roberto Luongo on a breakaway, and he attempted to dive out to grab the puck. I was far enough out that he didn't reach me, and I had an open net. On another occasion, I wristed the puck from the blue line and it dipped as it headed towards the net, beating him under the glove. Hopefully there isn't much glitch material here, but goaltenders will make mistakes at times.

In all, it's a much more realistic game with smarter AI and so many tiny details. I saw a few nets get knocked off, and a few helmets come flying off. It seems the demo doesn't have its penalty settings tweaked properly though, as there aren't any boarding or goaltender interference calls yet, and I successfully played the puck in the trapezoid once with Tim Thomas without being called for delay of game.

I'm looking forward to it. Consider it a huge improvement over NHL 11.

ok :huh:

in NHL 11 the guy looks like he wants it in the bum and players get delayed before they actually fall over them..

in NHL 12 you dont have to always hit them cleanly to make them fall, and plus every hip check is never going to be to a T where its perfect like keith ballard or dan hamhuis every time.

I don't find anything substantial between 11 and 12 but there are some nice tweaks. The hip checks still drive me crazy, why oh why do they make you stop. I also wish the tie up in front button would be different than the hitting button

Archived