The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2011-12 Season

canuck2xtreme

Josefson and Kassian are the only players I could send down without having to send them through waivers. Josefson is finally starting to earn himself a larger role in New Jersey playing around 17 minutes a game. Kassian has been playing on Vancouver's fourth line.

As for the awards, am I the only one that hates the idea that teams earn points in the standings due to winning awards? I just don't understand the reasoning. Last year Minnesota hopped Dallas in the Standings to make the playoffs because Steve Kampfner won the Bill Masterson Trophy. If I was managing Dallas' team all year I would have been furious.

Just my opinion. Not trying to start a contraversy or anything.

I don't disagree with Kassian going down instead of Josefson. But you have an empty roster spot, so really you didn't have to send down anyone. So I was confused. But no worries. :)

As for the awards, players who generally win these awards are huge contributors to their teams. A defenceman having a Norris calibre season, or the guy scoring goals in bunches, or the goaltender that's been unreal all season typically gives their team a bigger boost that just their production. It raises the games of everyone around them. It gives teams more confidence, more swagger, that extra intangible that makes them tough to beat. Like last year with Corey Perry. Does Anaheim make the playoffs if Corey Perry doesn't go on a tear down the stretch, hitting 50 goals and putting himself in the Hart Trophy race, ultimately winning the League MVP award in June? Probably not. Did I agree with Corey Perry winning the Hart for a hot streak late in the season, when he wasn't even in the conversation at the beginning of March? No, but that's a different topic. :P

The awards will stay. Whether they remain a mirror of the NHL awards next season or if we develop our own over the off-season is another matter up for debate, but while we discussed it a bit earlier this season we didn't want to make a change mid-season.

Boston Bruins reported practise lines:

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Drew Stafford

Wojtek Wolski - Derek Stepan - Troy Brouwer

Tyler Kennedy - Brandon Sutter - Jannik Hansen

Dwight King - Nick Bonino - Matthieu Pereault

Joel Ward - Andreas Nodl

Kevin Bieksa - Kevin Shattenkirk

Lubomir Visnovsky - Johnny Boychuk

David Schlemko - Brandon Manning

Mike Mottau

Cam Ward

Ray Emery

Hart Trophy - Carey Price

Ted Lindsay Trophy - Carey Price

Lady Byng Trophy - Patrick Marleau

Vezina Trophy - Carey Price

Calder Trophy - none

Norris Trophy - Matt Carle

Bill Masterton Trophy - Clayton Stoner

Selke Trophy - Mike Fisher

King Clancy Trophy - Mike Fisher

PIMs worth too many GD points!

I'm trying to work my way into a playoff spot and the freakin' Flame get 30 points from 1 single scrum! Ott and Daley's misconducts on top of roughing and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties were worth as many points as my entire team last night who scored 2 goals, 1 assist, was a +3 with a win.

I have never been a fan of rewarding penalty minutes, completely backwards if you ask me.

Red Wings Nominees:

Hart Trophy - Jonathan Quick

Ted Lindsay Trophy - Jonathan Quick

Lady Byng Trophy - Mark Letestu

Vezina Trophy - Jonathan Quick

Calder Trophy - None

Norris Trophy - Dustin Byfuglien

Bill Masterton Trophy - Daniel Alfredsson

Selke Trophy - Patrick Sharp

King Clancy Trophy - Scott Hartnell (#HartnellDown!)

I'm trying to work my way into a playoff spot and the freakin' Flame get 30 points from 1 single scrum! Ott and Daley's misconducts on top of roughing and unsportsmanlike conduct penalties were worth as many points as my entire team last night who scored 2 goals, 1 assist, was a +3 with a win.

I have never been a fan of rewarding penalty minutes, completely backwards if you ask me.

Calgary PIM points accumulated so far this season: 784.

Detroit PIM points accumulated so far this season: 861.

:unsure:

to be honest..i still don have a clue who to nominate from my team excepted the vezina...hahahaha

well i ll work something out :)

If I may make a suggestion, I'd nominate Matt Cooke for the Masterton Trophy.

Seriously. Hear me out.

Bill Masterton Trophy - Awarded to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey.

Perseverance - a steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.

Sportsmanship - conduct (as fairness, respect for one's opponent, and graciousness in winning or losing) becoming to one participating in a sport.

Dedication - to devote wholly and earnestly to some person or purpose.

He's been called out as a plague to the game. He's been ripped apart by the fans, media, players both current and former, even some of his own teammates. He hit rock bottom last season and his roster spot, and place in the league, was very much in question.

All he's done since then is dedicate himself to turning things around. He's clearly put in a lot of effort into ensuring he plays the game the right way. While he still battles hard and is a physical player (136 hits so far this season), he's on pace for a career low in penalty minutes in a full season. With 30 PIMs so far this year, the only season he had less was when he had 27 PIMs in 30 games his rookie year. He's a staple on both the power play and the penalty kill for the Penguins, and has set a new career high in goals with 16. He's become a reliable and steady producer for one of the best teams in the NHL, and a key member for a club looking to make a deep playoff run. And just as important, he has stopped being a distraction, a negative source of attention to the club. Nobody is talking about him being a dirty player anymore. He's 'rehabilitated' his game.

It's not the traditional sense in which the Masterton is looked at, usually it's a player overcoming serious injury or illness. But one could make the case that Matt Cooke's game of last season was just that, and he's overcome it, bettered himself as a player and person and is now a very valuable hockey player for an elite team. That's a pretty dramatic turnaround in the course of 11 months if you ask me, and good for him.

oops

is it possible to reduce the points per pim @ pickup? next season i ll also play in a espn league and there its 0,25 points per pim.

but i wouldnt like to get rid off the pims..i guess no one would.

I agree actually. I've always thought that PIMs make creating a team a little more convoluted. At the very least I would love to see game misconducts done away with.

The point structure will likely be tinkered with in the off-season. Penalty minutes won't be eliminated but their impact will likely be reduced.

I've said before that I'd love to do away with the misconducts, but pickuphockey doesn't offer that option. Looking into our options for next year already, and penalty minutes will be looked at.

But for now, everyone plays by the same scoring structure, so I don't think it should be a big point of contention at this point.

Archived