The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

7 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

Infinitely. Chelsea were dumped out of the CL by Juve and Shakhtar Donetsk, then beat the mighty Sparta Prague, Steaua Bucharest, Rubin Kazan and Basel before beating a mediocre Benfica side. Let's not kid ourselves, none of those teams were a top half of the Premier League side - at best, Benfica would be 8th in the PL, with Basel fighting relegation and the others in the Championship / League One.

Meanwhile, Chelsea's latest League Cup win saw them beat Bolton (Steaua Bucharest), Shrewsbury Town (Sparta Prague), Derby (Rubin), Liverpool (better than Basel) and Spurs (better than Benfica).

What on earth..

Basel have comfortably beaten Spurs, Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool in recent years. I very highly doubt they would be fighting relegation lol. Did you really just compare Steaua Bucharest, a solid Romanian side to Shrewsbury town? These "championship/league one" sides are the ones giving the "top" English sides a lot of trouble. Just because they don't play in a top 5 league doesn't mean they're not a good side. Look at West Ham, they didn't even make it past the qualifying phases to the group stage. Imagine how Shrewsbury town would do lol. Bare in mind the teams from the top leagues in the Europa, the likes of Napoli, Inter, Fiorentina, Dortmund and others, when you consider the final of the League cup a few seasons ago was Bradford VS Swansea, I know which one I'd rather win.

• Upvote 1

Dominated Porto today. Could easily have scored 4 or 5. Tuchel has tried out some interesting tactical tweaks after the winter break. Schmelzer has played almost left wing and Hummels could be found in the left offensive half space a lot. Weird to see, but it worked out quite well.

27 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

For a team with such a huge, seemingly infinite, budget, Man Utd are a complete embarrassment.

I can only dream of what Celtic could do with the money that they can afford to spend on a single player.

You could apply that to just about any EPL club. But there are a lot of problems in that league, for example the ridiculous amount of matches. It's harder for coaches to set up a real system cause you simply don't have time to do that. So I'm curious to see what Kloppo and Pep can do with basically just a preseason. Both rely on very distinctive systems which need a lot of training and adjustment to get right.

2 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

For a team with such a huge, seemingly infinite, budget, Man Utd are a complete embarrassment.

I can only dream of what Celtic could do with the money that they can afford to spend on a single player.

This is what happens when you have owners and a chairman more interested in getting Manchester United brand noodles than the actual running of the football side of the club

6 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

What is going on in the BVB Leverkusen game?

The referee's just done a runner.

Loved it. Schmidt has been complaining all season. Now he got what he deserved. Complained 5 minutes about Auba's goal.

We got a free kick deep in our own half, which we executed about 6 meters from the spot of the initial foul. As it happens in just about every single match. The only exception was that Leverkusen was not quick enough to react. So we scored. Schmidt was furious after that. Ref told him to go to the stands. Schmidt didn't want to. So Ref Zwayer thought, go f yourself, I'm gonna go home if you don't want to leave. ::D

• Upvote 1