The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

22 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

What an arrogant prick! Little weasel could've helped pay off Messi's taxes but instead chose to donate to charity. 

The tax breaks in doing so will actually make him richer. Just a thought.

51 minutes ago, otherwise said:

apparently Jamie Vardy's release clause of 21M £ has been triggered by Arsenal.

That would be terrible if they got him.

...Leicester would be dumb to even allow it. He just signed an extension and another season of him and Mahrez there would compete for the league title again with the EPL being so wide open. There's no need to be selling Vardy especially with all the money they've won winning the league. Would be a shame for the football world if it happened. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would love to see Vardy-Mahrez and majority of the winning roster compete in the champions league.

30 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

He is 26 in January and I haven't seen much of him but on paper, it does look like a solid deal.

Yeah, he should have left Barca earlier. Tough to battle for a spot there. He can play a nice ball, but he's not very physical. We played with 3 CBs for a couple of games this year. I could imagine him in that system very well. Better opportunities to hide his weaknesses.

10 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

That would be terrible if they got him.

...Leicester would be dumb to even allow it. He just signed an extension and another season of him and Mahrez there would compete for the league title again with the EPL being so wide open. There's no need to be selling Vardy especially with all the money they've won winning the league. Would be a shame for the football world if it happened. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would love to see Vardy-Mahrez and majority of the winning roster compete in the champions league.

I believe they have no choice but to accept if a team matches the release clause of a player. It's up to the player to reject and stay at this point if this is true.

Vardy at Arsenal would look good but I feel he is just a one season wonder who used his pace/work rate. He is 30 in January so he would most likely be good maybe great for a year to 2. Similar to RVP :emot-parrot:

Edited by milk and honey

17 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

I believe they have no choice but to accept if a team matches the release clause of a player. It's up to the player to reject and stay at this point if this is true.

Vardy at Arsenal would look good but I feel he is just a one season wonder who used his pace/work rate. He is 30 in January so he would most likely be good maybe great for a year to 2. Similar to RVP :emot-parrot:

Oh I see. 

If that's the case, I'm pretty sure Vardy will stay. Doesn't seem like the type that'll jump ship and especially within the league at this point of his career with all that's happened.

56 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Vardy is a decent Welbeck replacement.  Maybe a bit better than Giroud in terms of being clinical in front of goal.

I'd be okay with this.

Not sure if srs with this. Giroud is far from being clinical most games he needs 3-5 chances to get a goal. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

Not sure if srs with this. Giroud is far from being clinical most games he needs 3-5 chances to get a goal. 

Yeah but I'm comparable all aspects of the game.  Running and being more clinical, I'll take Vardy.

Possession, link-up, aerial threat, vision...give me Giroud.

Just now, Alain Vigneault said:

Yeah but I'm comparable all aspects of the game.  Running and being more clinical, I'll take Vardy.

Possession, link-up, aerial threat, vision...give me Giroud.

ya agreed there. Vardy is the prefect striker if Arsenal could drop a bit deeper and work more off the counter.  Arsenal using the counter more would be deadly. 

8 minutes ago, milk and honey said:

sky sports 99.99999% it happens

True.

If it's official, this is a signing of such importance since RVP arguably. Zlatan is a serial winner and has that special aura around him. Has that swagger and character United has been missing for a while now. Supposedly a 1 year deal so if it does become official, could be a very short tenure.

Just now, TheRussianRocket. said:

True.

If it's official, this is a signing of such importance since RVP arguably. Zlatan is a serial winner and has that special aura around him. Has that swagger and character United has been missing for a while now. Supposedly a 1 year deal so if it does become official, could be a very short tenure.

Di maria was bigger imo. We just came off 7th and got a player who just won UCL but I get what you mean.

The thing I really like about Zlatan is his age. He has a year maybe 2left in his tank, which is a perfect time period to develop Martial and Rashford. Apparently according to sky sports, we didn't make an offer on Vardy as Jose wants to use Rashford next year. So this concerned that Mourinho will not play Rashford and our kids looks like its false.  

Just now, milk and honey said:

Di maria was bigger imo. We just came off 7th and got a player who just won UCL but I get what you mean.

The thing I really like about Zlatan is his age. He has a year maybe 2left in his tank, which is a perfect time period to develop Martial and Rashford. Apparently according to sky sports, we didn't make an offer on Vardy as Jose wants to use Rashford next year. So this concerned that Mourinho will not play Rashford and our kids looks like its false.  

Yep. Glad José is taking the future into consideration while trying to compete for the league. Also looks like it seals Rooney's fate as a mid for the time being in United unless Rashford isn't starting and is coming off the bench. Either way, nice to finally have a clearer picture of things. 

...and more than anything, can't wait for the new season to begin with all the managers in the EPL. Gonna be crazy af lol. Especially Manchester ;) 

"I'd die for José but Guardiola's a spineless coward" - Zlatan