The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

Too much money in top flight football. With their massive TV deals there is little incentive to grow young players rather than settle for some mediocre overseas talent. Combine that with the dysfunction of the FA and you are left with such results. No one should be surprised by what happened and no one should expect any meaningful changes. Maybe the next manager may not be as inept as Hodgson but it doesn't change the fact that the talent pool is mediocre.

4 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Italy may park against Germany but I don't see why they wouldn't attack them like they did against Spain.

I just think Spain is not as good all round as a defensive unit compared to Germany who are less likely to be broken down as easily and give up quality chances like Italy had today.

Recent history and form suggests it will be a very even matchup and likely a tight one goal game.

20 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

See ya later Woy, one of the most clueless managers I have ever seen. Southgate or Neville will probably take over. 

No way man.  Clearly in-form Raheem (WUT) and in-form Shisha Wilshere are superior players and deserved to wear the Three Lions after such amazing years at club.

• Upvote 1

I've never seen so many professional footballers unable to pass the ball 5 yards, as I did last night. Harry Kane looked like Harry Redknapp out there - slow, fat, utterly crap.

If I were the new manager, I'd tell Rooney, Cahill, Walker, Wilshere, Milner, Sterling, Walcott and Vardy that their international careers are done.

Watzke says Utd raised their offer for Mkhitaryan significantly. German media reporting it's 42.5m €. Transfer will go through over the weekend.

Well done, Aki. Got the most out of it. We will receive the two biggest fees ever paid for players with only one year left on their contract.

1 hour ago, Captain Woodget said:

I've never seen so many professional footballers unable to pass the ball 5 yards, as I did last night. Harry Kane looked like Harry Redknapp out there - slow, fat, utterly crap.

If I were the new manager, I'd tell Rooney, Cahill, Walker, Wilshere, Milner, Sterling, Walcott and Vardy that their international careers are done.

I agree for the most part except Vardy and Rooney. Both can be useful for helping England make the world cup in 2018. If you take both of them is another discussion.

Add Hart to your list as well. Good news for England I guess is that Butland is really coming along nicely,   If Shaw, Smalling, Stones Clyne continue to improve that's a really good defense for 2018. I would like to add Jones there since I am a utd fan but I don't think he even deserves to be 3rd choice at man utd.

Midfield wise I guess Alli, Dier, could be part of a diamond. The other two parts of the diamond are to be determined. Up front in 2018 has to be Rashford and Kane if they continue their form.

Not a bad team on paper and with the right coach they might do something in 2018 but that's a slim, slim chance.

4 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

Watzke says Utd raised their offer for Mkhitaryan significantly. German media reporting it's 42.5m €. Transfer will go through over the weekend.

Well done, Aki. Got the most out of it. We will receive the two biggest fees ever paid for players with only one year left on their contract.

I thought the price was agreed on so when I found out we "raised" our offer I wasn't too happy. 42.5m is a ton of money for a player but it's well worth it. As long as Mata and Herrera won't ever play out wide again. Also he can play as a 10 which is useful. If he can defend he should fit in perfectly.  

If Ibra comes next week all we need is a back up for shaw in case he gets injured again, and another winger. Maybe a defensive mid. Can't wait to see who Mourinho will sell in the coming weeks as well.

4 hours ago, milk and honey said:

I agree for the most part except Vardy and Rooney. Both can be useful for helping England make the world cup in 2018. If you take both of them is another discussion.

Add Hart to your list as well. Good news for England I guess is that Butland is really coming along nicely,   If Shaw, Smalling, Stones Clyne continue to improve that's a really good defense for 2018. I would like to add Jones there since I am a utd fan but I don't think he even deserves to be 3rd choice at man utd.

Midfield wise I guess Alli, Dier, could be part of a diamond. The other two parts of the diamond are to be determined. Up front in 2018 has to be Rashford and Kane if they continue their form.

Not a bad team on paper and with the right coach they might do something in 2018 but that's a slim, slim chance.

I was very disappointed with Alli. Well, with all of them, but him in particular. He wasn't focused and seemed to run around a lot with little end product. He needs time, and seasoning, before becoming an England stalwart.

6 hours ago, milk and honey said:

I thought the price was agreed on so when I found out we "raised" our offer I wasn't too happy. 42.5m is a ton of money for a player but it's well worth it. As long as Mata and Herrera won't ever play out wide again. Also he can play as a 10 which is useful. If he can defend he should fit in perfectly.  

If Ibra comes next week all we need is a back up for shaw in case he gets injured again, and another winger. Maybe a defensive mid. Can't wait to see who Mourinho will sell in the coming weeks as well.

"If he can defend"? He is one of the best "defensive offensive players" I have ever seen. Don't know if he will fit in Mourinho's usually deep sitting teams though. I see him as a perfect fit for a high pressing team like us.

Edited by Lateralus91

1 minute ago, Lateralus91 said:

"If he can defend"? He is one of the best "defensive offensive players" I have ever seen.

Good to hear. I never saw BVB play this season except the 2games against LFC but even then I don't remember who played good and bad. I just remember the epic comeback that LFC made.