The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

8 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

here's one:

favourite shirt? favourite crest?

i would never wear one, but I've always liked the look of the Inter Milan blue/black striped home shirts. just have a very classic feel to them. crest is pretty cool, too. don't care much for the club, mind you.

inter_milan_home_away_shirt_promo_2013_1

Interesting. My one of my favorite jerseys of all time is this Inter Jersey

interaway.gif

My favorite crest would have to go to Colo-Colo

colocolo.jpg

Tony Adams or Sol Campbell?

@Lateralus91 happy with the move. He knows how to coach young talent and get the best out of them like what he's accomplished with Ajax with the likes of Dolberg. He took the team all the way to the Europa League final with United getting the better of them. I really think he can get Pulisic, Dembele, Passlack, Durm and other youngsters to be even better players than they are now. BVB can easily be a contender for the league and C/L but Aubameyang linked to PSG makes me wary of how good they'll be along with the Reus knee ligament surgery. But having the youngsters I mentioned above take the next steps will ultimately decide how good they can become.

13 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Being the offseason, I have a feeling that this thread will be full of rumors that will most likely not come true (Especially when players are linked with United or Arsenal). To make this thread a bit livelier, why not play a "Who is better" type game, comparing players, sides, ect.

I'll start it off with a couple

Marcelo or Roberto Carlos?

Win the WC or UCL?

Messi or CR7?

Tough to choose between all the options. I'll have to say Roberto Carlos is better than Marcelo in my opinion still. Marcelo has done a lot of great things for Madrid and he still has plenty in the tank like Ramos to continue doing what he's doing which is attack forward, defend resolutely and join the counter attack. But no one can be better than Roberto Carlos. He was a one of a kind player. Didn't watch a lot of him since I was just a little kid when he became a star for Madrid  and didn't know a lot about sports then but from the few video highlight packages I watched, he seems to be a fantastic free kick taker. I believe one match with his international team where he struck one from over 30 yards, and he absolutely put a delightful finish. It's become known as the Banana shot now. 

Winning the World Cup is more exciting because you won it for your country along with your fellow countrymates. C/L is fun as well but it isn't as fun as winning the WC for your home country. 

Ronaldo has usurped Messi now imo in terms of trophies won which makes him the better player and he always has a knack for coming up clutch in Cup final matches which is thus I would pick him over Messi if I were going to start a new team today. He's a great player with great pace, skill, playmaking and knows how to make the players around him better. He's a player you would love to have that you can build around. Same with Messi but as of today, Ronaldo is who I'd go with 

I don't think many people rate the WC as highly as they do UCL, do they? Everyone always talks sh-t about the WC in my experience, and "Club before country" has always been a mantra

I grew up reading a lot of EPL forums (redcafe, etc.) and I don't remember many of them at all caring about the England national squad. However, for Brazil or Brazilians, I'm pretty sure representing the country is the highest honour, no? So I guess it's just a matter of what your perspective is

personally, I really enjoy the World Cup even though I think a lot of the underdog teams just try way too hard for a draw, or try to dive their way into advantage. some of those African teams in the last WC were absolutely excruciating to watch. total embarrassments

thought this was funny:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40193329

Manchester City forward Nolito says his "daughter's face has changed colour" because of the English weather in the 11 months since he signed for the club.

Nolito, 30, has made just nine Premier League starts since joining City for £13.8m from Celta Vigo last July.

He has struggled to adapt to life in England and said he wanted to leave.

"I've learnt little English. It's hard. Just 'tomorrow', 'good morning', 'good afternoon' and a little more," Nolito told radio station El Transistor.

He added: "My daughter's face has changed colour - it looks like she's been living in a cave."

Nolito, who signed a four-year contract with City last summer, has scored six goals in 30 games in all competitions, but his last Premier League start was a 3-0 win away at Hull City on 26 December.

"I am under the contract, so the club will decide, but I want to leave," he said.

https://www.thescore.com/chlg/news/1315138

Its been mentioned above by @CaptainCanuck001 but United have submitted a much improved €60 million, after their initial bid of €52 million got rejected by Madrid. He's a good solid target. Even with Ronaldo in the picture in Madrid, he notched 20 goals in all comps. Hopefully this bid paves the way for his arrival as a Red Devil!

36 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

Lukaku to Chelsea all but confirmed, right?

I believe so. Not a Chelsea fan but Costa said that Conte doesn't want him there anymore from what I read from The Score so that obviously means he wants to be with Atletico again or go overseas. Nevertheless it seems like his time as a Blue is dwindling to a close

Edited by Beary Sweet

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

I believe so. Not a Chelsea fan but Costa said that Conte doesn't want him there anymore from what I read from The Score so that obviously means he wants to be with Atletico again or go overseas. Nevertheless it seems like his time as a Blue is dwindling to a close

I'm stunned :lol:

• Upvote 1

https://www.thescore.com/liga/news/1315810

So while the forums were down for quite some time, United announced they wouldn't extend Ibra and Morata agrees to join United and only thing separating them is a fee to work on between the two teams. I was worried that Milan had swooped in earlier couple weeks ago but thankfully, United showed their interest again for Morata. Really like the kid. Good hold up play, passing, shot and good header. He's the perfect no. 9 we need to surround around the likes of Pogba, Mickey, Herrera, Rashford. Now our work may not be done but this is a step towards the right direction. Going young, fast, full of pace and skill. This is the way to go and hopefully this is the 1st of many signings. Of course, this move could fall through if a fee is not agreed upon but Morata appears to have agreed to join. Great news  for sure!

Well great to have signed a young center back in Lindelof. We had Smalling, Jones so I wonder what does that mean for them. Now that I think about it, they'll be used in the league more with us now having C/L to pile our fixture schedule similar to how this season went. I'm assuming Lindelof and Bailly partnership for Champs League with Rojo potentially in the mix as well. Now we need to get the Morata signing done now and add a midfielder to solidify things. Great start to the transfer window, the first of many signings to come

United agrees to sign Benfica's Lindelof for €35M fee 
https://www.thescore.com/epl/news/1316515

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Lateralus91 said:

Reus already out for the remainder of the year. Picked up a partially torn ACL in the DFB Cup final. :(

Tough blow for Dortmund definitely. Having Philipp fill in will help the loss but isn't the same as having Reus. He plays the game at a high level and thinks the game much better than the most players. Apparently he's hoping to be in full fitness by 2018 . Dembele, Pulisic will all help out as well. Bosz will have his work cut out for him but he should be able to build off Tuchel's success. 

Edited by Beary Sweet

On 2017-6-8 at 1:20 PM, GLASSJAW said:

what do the chelsea fans of CDC think about Diego Costa being forced out?

It sucks to lose him but many of us have been preparing for that eventuality for a while now. If the choice was been Costa and Conte then the decision was an easy one. The season before this one was a reminder that you could have a talented squad but when there is discord among the players and the manager it can have a big effect on the pitch. No animosity directed towards Costa though. I wish him the best for the future as long as it's not with an English club. It would have been nice if they could sell him back to Atletico as is his wish but their transfer ban has thrown a wrench in things.