The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

Naingolan and Strootman lost the match for Roma. As Left and Right Central midfielders their job in defense is to initially pressure the wingers so that they dont have space to run onto the Wingbacks. They were nowhere to be found, and that forced the Wingbacks to push higher up the pitch, giving liverpool channels and space to attack. 

14 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Naingolan and Strootman lost the match for Roma. As Left and Right Central midfielders their job in defense is to initially pressure the wingers so that they dont have space to run onto the Wingbacks. They were nowhere to be found, and that forced the Wingbacks to push higher up the pitch, giving liverpool channels and space to attack. 

The C/B's wasn't much better... Fazio in particular was beyond poor...

It is the worst defensive performance I've ever witnessed in the later round in the C\L....

Even way back when Utd beat Roma 7-1 at O.T. the Roma team played better than yesterday, At times the defending were so bad, it looked as if they had been paid to lose. Could easily have ended in double figures...

Shocking performance absolutely shocking.

On 2018-04-24 at 4:36 PM, Tony Romo said:

Omg Mo Salah !!!!

Have to say did not see this coming in his days in Rome. Knew he was a rising star but this is incredible.

Is it too early to put him in the conversation for stealing a Ballon D'or from Messi/Ronaldo?

I think you can place him in that special group with Messi,Ronaldo, and Neymar as big name super stars though.

21 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Have to say did not see this coming in his days in Rome. Knew he was a rising star but this is incredible.

Is it too early to put him in the conversation for stealing a Ballon D'or from Messi/Ronaldo?

I think you can place him in that special group with Messi,Ronaldo, and Neymar as big name super stars though.

I would hope so. But there are a lot of Messi and Ronaldo fan boys in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Ballon d'Or stayed between the two of them. Last one for Ronaldo was questionable as well in my opinion having a pretty bad second half of 2017. He had only 3 goal + 2 assists in that time in La Liga (albeit being suspended for the first 4 match days). That's no stat of a Ballon d'Or winner, is it?

2 minutes ago, Lateralus91 said:

I would hope so. But there are a lot of Messi and Ronaldo fan boys in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if the next Ballon d'Or stayed between the two of them. Last one for Ronaldo was questionable as well in my opinion having a pretty bad second half of 2017. He had only 3 goal + 2 assists in that time in La Liga (albeit being suspended for the first 4 match days). That's no stat of a Ballon d'Or winner, is it?

He is pretty clutch in the Champions League though.

13 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

He is pretty clutch in the Champions League though.

Sure, but the Ballon is supposed to be the title for the best footballer of the year. And I just figure you should have an outstanding season all around. He scored 4 of his 9  goals in the second half of 2017 against APOEL and 3 against us while we were on a historically bad run. Just not screaming footballer of the year to me.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Obviously Messi and Ronaldo have been  consistently amazing for a long time, but for this year Salah been the best player. It’s been incredible. 

I remember i thought Suarez’s year with Liverpool was amazing a couple years ago, but this Salah year is something else. 

8 hours ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Going to Celtic Rangers on Sunday at Celtic Park. We have the chance to win the league in front of them, so hopefully we take it and rub it in as much as is possible.

Any truth to the rumour that Gerrard will be the next Rangers manager?

6 minutes ago, Tony Romo said:

Any truth to the rumour that Gerrard will be the next Rangers manager?

I can't see him taking it given that he seems happy in Liverpool and has a previous affinity with Celtic, but mainly that the Rangers job is a poisoned chalice. The club is so poorly run it's unbelievable, yet their fans still have unrealistic expectations regarding challenging us for the title. Not a good place for a rookie manager to start.

As an Italian I am very proud with how Roma played in the Semi's. More structure defensively in the first leg and less lackadaisical play tonight would have sent them through.

To loss 7-6 on aggregate with 1 Clear penalty not going your way, and a second wrongfully called offside is heartbreaking.

Regardless Daje Roma!

ps. The nerves got to Liverpool. I don't think they win the UCL, Real has to much experience. I will be rooting for them however.

4 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

As an Italian I am very proud with how Roma played in the Semi's. More structure defensively in the first leg and less lackadaisical play tonight would have sent them through.

To loss 7-6 on aggregate with 1 Clear penalty not going your way, and a second wrongfully called offside is heartbreaking.

Regardless Daje Roma!

ps. The nerves got to Liverpool. I don't think they win the UCL, Real has to much experience. I will be rooting for them however.

You can't just look at the missed calls on your side and forget about the bad calls that went in your favour. 

Real almost choked against Juventus.