The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Possibility Of Justin Schultz Signing With Vancouver

If Schultz lives up to expectations that is a very solid d lineup, basically a more experienced version of the 10-11 Canucks. Hopefully Salo can slot in for Tanev/Schultz and replace Rome, with Alberts taking Sulzer/Gragnani's old spot in the roster.

Like the guy above said, if there is any chance he goes to the AHL, he won't be signing. He's further along in his development than Tanev so he should bump him and Ballard is Ballard. There is a couple spots for him to have.

Wether Salo remains or goes has nothing to do with Shultz signing here. If he is indeed a die hard Canuck fan he will know what Salo has done with this team and what he means to this team. I believe wether Salo stays or not , has nothing to do with this decision. Off the bat Shultz might not get as "much" ice time as he will in Edmonton or Toronto, that being said, that ice time he wants will come very soon, as Salo will probably retire soon, and I don't think Ballard will be here for that long. So basically is a win win for Shultz. He signs with his child hood team, play with players he grew up idolizing, have a chance at a stanley cup, and be part of a long term future.

I did not like the timing of the Hodgson/Kassian trade but yeah we need a Kassian much more than we need a Hodgson for now with Kesler and Hank here; it was a good solid trade that Gillis got too much heat for and with the Sabres draft I wonder if they are doubting Hodgson. Gillis still has some work to do, he needs to find a replacement for Hodgson within the next two years, sooner the better but NEEDS to do something about the winger for Kesler and Booth and a 3rd line centre for Higgins and Hansen.

It shouldn't be surprising that Schultz would choose Vancouver, if that is his destination and sure, it's exciting but the Canucks would still lack a veteran top 4 defense man, and they have missed since Ehrhoff left. Giving Schultz that opportunity is great, but the Canucks need to win now, and Schultz's style of play, will take some growing pains. The canucks, are in desperate need of a veteran who is defensive responsible and is confident in what they're doing at the NHL level.

Edit: I'm saying as if I'm trying to jynx it and am being completely premature, but from start it was Edmonton, Toronto, and Vancouver. Mackenzie brought up Edmonton, and people connected Schultz to Toronto just because Gardiner plays there. From there, he was able to choose where he wanted to do, and it was seemed like it was clear that he wanted to play for a hockey market, which essentially means he wants to be on a contending team. That kind of shores it up. Now, that's whether you believe the media or not. If he signs elsewhere, then people should never trust the media again.

You have to chuckle as many fans are already penciling this kid in as a top 4 dman. Signing him and re-signing Salo would be a gamble in itself IMO. As you suggest Van has to gear up for a serious CUP run. To me that means Garrison or Allen anchoring Edler and a signed SChultz playing 3rd d on the right side. Where that leaves Salo or Tanev is a question. I suspect that if the signing happens that Tanev will be traded in a package deal because there will be interest. With Kesler out till X-Mass the CAP pressure won't be there as Lou should bring back a top 6 forward.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie

No teams invited yet to meet/present/offer Schultz but EDM for sure and quite likely VAN have management people in TOR waiting for chance.

26 NHL teams have expressed interest in UFA dman Justin Schultz, a shortlist of 5, give or take a team or two, likely by this afternoon.

Schultz can't formally sign contract until Sunday July 1 but I'd be surprised if he hasn't picked his new team before then.

If the Canucks are his team, if he's grown up being a Canucks fan and his family is here, there is a huge emotional attachment already established to playing here, so it would be very difficult for him to not go with his heart and sign with the Canucks.

It's like a total dream come true for him.

Now if his agent or wiser family members advise against signing in Vancouver for whatever multitude of reason there are, then they may pursuade Schultz to think with his head and not his heart. I don't think the main issues are money because there is a cap on how much he can make regardless of where he signs - not including bonuses of course. But as long as Gillis is in the ballpark on the bonus side of things, this should be a slam dunk.

Hopefully Gillis delivers the right messages to Schultz, his agent and family. It should be a real "feel good" meeting. If so, this is a done deal IMO.

If the Canucks are his team, if he's grown up being a Canucks fan and his family is here, there is a huge emotional attachment already established to playing here, so it would be very difficult for him to not go with his heart and sign with the Canucks.

It's like a total dream come true for him.

Now if his agent or wiser family members advise against signing in Vancouver for whatever multitude of reason there are, then they may pursuade Schultz to think with his head and not his heart. I don't think the main issues are money because there is a cap on how much he can make regardless of where he signs - not including bonuses of course. But as long as Gillis is in the ballpark on the bonus side of things, this should be a slam dunk.

Hopefully Gillis delivers the right messages to Schultz, his agent and family. It should be a real "feel good" meeting. If so, this is a done deal IMO.

Archived