The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Managing Cory Schneider

J.I.A.H.N

he had struggles, sure, but he improved over the years. His first playoff he got beat in the 2nd round when the team had no business being in the playoffs The following yr the team sucked. So did the following yr. Look at sedins and kes in those yrs, they did nothing vs hawks or dux. You don't think that was a problem? When Lui is on a good team, he takes them far like last yr, Olympics, world cup, world championship. I won't bet the hopes on a proven backup when you have a starter that got you one Gm short of the cup. It wasn't a fluke last yr, 2 shut outs in the final, 60 plus saves to clinch west final, out duel vezina finalist rhinne, won gm7 vs a nemesis on the biggest pressure scenario. He wasn't flawless, but he got the team further than it has since 1994. You don't throw that away because he had a bad few starts in the regular mean nothing games.

Luongo's best year was his first...by far...its not even a question. The team was outclassed in every facet of the game against Dallas that year and the ONLY reason they won was because Luongo played out of his mind unbelieveable hockey. We had no defense and he just shut the door. He kept playing that way right through the second round and again was the ONLY reason the canucks got as far as they did. He ended up with a .941 sv% and 1.77 GAA. He hasnt come anywhere even remotely close to that since then. So I have no idea where you get the idea that Luongo has improved over the years. He went straight downhill from there. You list all his accomplishments but in truth he was never a big reason that Canada won gold. He was solid but far from spectacular. In our playoff run last year he had multi game collapses against Chicago and Boston and let in a huge amount of weak goals from behind the goal line against Nashville. You say he outduelled Rinne but all you can base that on is that the Canucks beat the Predators. In reality, the Canucks were all over Nashville most of the series and Rinne was by far the better goaltender.

Well Columbus needs a goalie and we need an expensive power forward and if cory has a solid game like he usually does that will hopefully increase our chances of aquiring him in the offseason. Yes im a nash fan and a dreamer lol.

We needed both goalies for a run... the big question is the offseason. No matter what happens, it is going to change the franchise.

If we trade Schneider we will get a good return, he is a bonafied #1 (Halak-esque).

If we (could) trade Lou we are trading a Vezina candidate and a great goalie which would definitely fetch a return.

One will go in the off-season. Which, I think is fairly pre-determined due to an inflated contract.

Could you imagine though if we could offload Lou to Columbus for their draft-pick and resign Schneider at a significantly lesser caphit?

Say what you will but both goalies can steal games and we'd net some cap and a top tier youth player for a pretty neutral trade off in the goal tending department. Unrealistic, but ideal asset management. Gonna be an interesting off-season that is for sure.

he had struggles, sure, but he improved over the years.  His first playoff he got beat in the 2nd round when the team had no business being in the playoffs  The following yr the team sucked.  So did the following yr.  Look at sedins  and kes in those yrs, they did nothing vs hawks or dux.  You don't think that was a problem?  When Lui is on a good team, he takes them far like last yr, Olympics, world cup, world championship.  I won't bet the hopes on a proven backup when you have a starter that got you one Gm short of the cup.  It wasn't a fluke last yr, 2 shut outs in the final, 60 plus saves to clinch west final, out duel vezina finalist rhinne, won gm7 vs a nemesis on the biggest pressure scenario.  He wasn't flawless, but he got the team further than it has since 1994.  You don't throw that away because he had a bad few starts in the regular mean nothing games.

If Columbus goes after Schneider it would most likely be for a draft pick...first round most likely. This would be the only way Vancouver would outright trade him away with out another contract offer. Before you can even jump ahead here, the playoffs need to end first. With all the different scenarios going through any of our heads about goaltending throughout the playoffs, I think AV answered that In November when Schneider took the reins for that nice little stretch..

On the other side of this, I think there are way too many people stuck to one guy in this matter, and unfortunately, he's signed on for another 10 years. If he does well, then I support Lou, however I am a Vancouver Fan, and I want the best for my team, not for one player. I will stand by which ever goalie is doing his job properly and if that means somehow finding a way to stick with Schneider long term because Lou cant prove himself then why would anyone argue this? Again, just a scenario here, I am not turning my back on Lou. It would just be naive to go into this situation with zero cautions/planning judging by Lous past performance.

Well if I was GM I would sign Schneider to no.1 Dollars and keep adding games to his plate, tell Schneider he will be the no.1 and slowly relegate Lou to a backup role, and if Luo cannot accept the reality of his numbers he can use one of his "outs" in his contract. Every Pro knows it is a business and loyalty and respect only go so far. I think both goalies would accept any role to be part on a contending team, no? I know I would.

Do you actually think that teams acquire players, especially goaltenders, purely on the basis of their stats? Any team interested in Schneider will have scouted him extensively. There are many good goalies in this league with not so good stats simply because of the defences infront of them.

Archived