The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Very Simple Question!

J.I.A.H.N

Yup.

My recollection is that there are at least two more full seasons before Luongo could ask to be traded, and the year following that is when the team could ask him for a list of teams to which he would accept a trade.

If Luongo wanted to leave earlier I suspect Gillis would look to accommodate him, for cap reasons, dressing room chemistry, etc.

If Gillis wanted Luongo gone prior to the escape clauses in the contract, then there would be nothing he could without Luongo's co-operation.

regards,

G.

"The Canucks announced that they had signed Luongo to a 12-year contract extension worth $64 million for a $5.33 million annual salary cap hit.The front-loaded deal, which will expire by the time Luongo is 43 and includes a no-trade clause, sees him make $10 million in 2010–11, then approximately $6.7 million annually through to 2017–18, $3.3 million and $1.6 million the subsequent two seasons, before tailing off to $1 million for the final two years. The contract contains two additional clauses to circumvent the no-trade clause that allow Luongo to facilitate a trade after the fifth year and for the Canucks to also facilitate a trade after the seventh year."

Archived