The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Summer 2012: Double Offersheet To Schneider & Lack.

In the scenario a team (New Jersey for example) give two offersheets as follow:

To Schneider 1 year x 3 100 000$ (2nd round compensation).

To Lack 1 year x 1 000 000$ one way contract With NMC. (no compensation)

Note:

-You Cant trade a player for a full year after accepting the offer sheet.

-Arbitration cant protect Schneider or Lack from offer sheet.

-Schneider would be UFA in summer 2013 following this contract.

- Lack need to play at least 28NHL game in 2012-2013 or he would become Group VI UFA . With a NMC, he could not be send to the AHL.

Baring trading Luongo there is no winning solution to this offersheet dilemma. It show Vancouver vulnerability to future offersheet to their goalies. Vancouver need to do something before 1st July.

Of course trading Schneider before 1st July seem the obvious solution, but you need two teams to make a trade and if Vancouver wants the moon for Schneider, others team could be tempted to wait until July to see their option on the UFA/RFA market.

So what could be the best strategy to follow?

You used to go on and on and say that Schneider was unproven and his stats were inflated and a team in need of goaltender would be foolish to send off assets for him. But all of a sudden, Eddie Lack, who has yet to play an NHL game and probably won't this season, can garner 1 million and an NMC? Why would any team do that?

I understand it's completely different when it comes to RFA value and trade value and I can see why a team would choose to go after Lack over Schneider(no assets to give Vancouver and just money headed for Lack) But the team isn't getting a proven goaltender after.

In any case, your scenario is doubtful and if a GM were to execute that plan, I speculate that it wouldn't be a very popular choice among the other GMs.

And indeed, despite many teams making a move for a goalie, no teams did send asset for Schneider.

Do you remember this post of mine one year ago that many of you thought was ridicule ?

/topic/298103-report-schneider-for-young-power-forward/page__st__360">http://forum.canucks...d/page__st__360

I still think it would have been a foolish move if Florida had traded the moon for Schneider while Theodore was available.

Because there is no compensation for a 1 000 000$ offersheet and i think Lack is ready to play in the NHL.

What is the risk? At worst, you lose 1 000 000$ on the cap space for one year. At best you get a excellent young goaltender for a reasonable contract.

Fair enough in those respects.

It's interesting that you mention a team like New Jersey for example. Is it realistic to assume that Lack can lead that team to success? It's a lot of pressure for him to not only replace Brodeur but make the playoffs as well and be able to play and win against Philly, NYR and Pittsburgh 6 times a year.

New Jersey could probably sign a veteran like Vokoun who could ease the load on Lack but if that's case, why doesn't New Jersey just sign Vokoun and another goalie and wait for Wedgewood? If it's this way, they don't need to worry about making an offer-sheet and they aren't baking any hopes on a young goaltender.

Lead a team to Success? The 1 000 000$ offersheet to Lack would be in the mind to give Lack a backup position (its still better for him than being in the AHL behind Luongo and Schneider, if for whatever reason Vancouver keep Schneider).

Misunderstanding on my part. I was under the impression that you meant NJ would sign him to be the #1 and not as back-up.

It's all dependent on how New Jersey sees Lack. I personally think they sign two proven UFAs(maybe two of Vokoun, Harding, Mason, Raycroft or Clemmeson as an example) rather than make an offer-sheet but you never know.

As far as Lack and the NMC, RFAs do not qualify for no move or no trade clauses. That makes that a moot point and we'd certainly resign Lack for $1M and keep him on the Wolves if need be.

All of it becomes moot when we either move Schneider or re-sign both he and Lack prior to July 1st.

As far as Lack and the NMC, RFAs do not qualify for no move or no trade clauses. That makes that a moot point and we'd certainly resign Lack for $1M and keep him on the Wolves if need be.

All of it becomes moot when we either move Schneider or re-sign both he and Lack prior to July 1st.

schneider would never sign an offer sheet for a single year, he wants some stability. the shortest term I see him signing an offer sheet for is 3 years. people forget that players don't HAVE to sign an offer sheet that is presented to them.

If for whatever reason Vancouver keep Schneider. Why would another team not Offersheet Lack for 1 000 000$ with a NMC ? (No compensation for 1 000 000$ offer sheet)

If Vancouver match, the chance are they will lose Lack as a group VI UFA anyway.

Archived