The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Potential Fix For The Brutal Officiating

Its no surprise anymore that the league is really struggling to get their act together this season, especially in the playoffs. This thread isn't calling out the referees for biased calls against any team, its highlighting the poor judgement and missed calls by the refs that are happening on a nightly basis now and are costing teams playoffs wins.

The integrity of the league is in serious danger with so many missed calls, lately the closed hand on the puck in the crease in the Nashville-Detroit game at a crucial time that should of been called a penalty shot.

Now I understand that the refs and linesmen don't always have a clear sight of the play, and some plays - especially dangerous hits - happen in such a small time frame that its easy for a referee to miss something or misjudge it, so I'm not necessarily blaming all of these bad calls on the referee's ability to observe the play at a fast pace.

Because of the speed of the game, I strongly recommend each coach to have a few challenges they can use to challenge a non-call or even a called penalty. 3 would be an ideal number per game, and here's how it would work:

If a player on your team is clipped with a high-stick and the penalty is not called, the coach can chose to "challenge" this play similar to in NFL. The challenging team will have to wait until they gain possession of the puck before the play can be video reviewed and the refs can then determine whether or not a penalty should of been assessed on the play.

It might seem like 3 challenges per game would take plenty of time, but a quick video replay of an elbow to the head that wasn't seen by the refs would be much quicker than deciding on a borderline goal. There is no excuse for "not looking" when a player is hit in the head etc. and video replay of these plays would eliminate that.

Obviously coaches won't challenge a cross-check if it isn't too severe, but near the end of the game this could become a tactic. The referees could huddle, watch the play over and over and decide together how severe the hit is and whether or not it warrants a penalty.

So basically we're slowing down the game for the refs so they make the right calls to keep the integrity of the league in tact, but more importantly so that dirty hits and cheap shots behind the play are eliminated from the game. These sorts of slashes and whacks are not "tough, playoff hockey", its just playing dirty with intent to injure and shouldn't be in the game at all.

Wasn't a challenge brought up by Murray in Ottawa when they lost a game over a horrible call and ended up being shot down pretty quick at the gm meetings?

I still think linesman should have the ability to call penalties too, main focus being on the lines but also allow them the opportunity to call blatent penalties that the refs may miss.

I like the idea of challenges, but 3 seems high to me... 6 in total in a game. They would also have to have some sort of punishment if used when there was no penalty due to gaining time after an iceing to rest and other advantage gaining uses.

I think the refs need more options to control the game rather than more oversight. Right now the stick near hands, puck clean over the glass, hit from behind, and elbow to the head without injury all get the same penalty. Create a new punishement of an offensive zone face off where the defending team isn't allowed into the circle (like a free kick in soccer), and use it for the silly penalties... Snow the goalie, clearing the puck over the glass, or scrum after the whistle lead to other team with a free set play. It keeps the game going but gives a punishment.

for penalties give the refs 1,2, and 3 minute options. Someone dives... give them 1 min. someones stick glances a glove... give them 1. slew foot gets 2, continues scrum after a few warnings 2 min, next time 3 min.

Let the refs watch replay footage during intermission and meet with both captains for 2 min before the start of each period. The ref can lay down what they didn't like from the period and let them know that if X behaviour is seen in the next period it will get an increases penalty.

The game is out of sorts, but I think the refs are the only guys who can turn it around. As it stands right now I think clearing the puck over the glass while on the penalty kill is the biggest punishment in the game. With all the injuries and head hunting it shows where the leagues head is at, a created penalty to increase scoring hurts far more than a penalty for elbowing the other teams star in the head.

How about a wild thought. Just go back to one referee. Despite the fact we have two ref's calls are still being missed. So really what's the point of having two of them? I think part of the problem is that each ref thinks the other might catch the infraction so they don't blow the whistle.

I think the one referee system, as slightly flawed as it might be, is better than two refs who don't know how to make the calls, or hesitate to make the right calls. I agree with Columbo, linesmen should be able to call high-sticking, or headshots.

I would like to see the challenge in the NHL - anything to make the game more honest/fairer. Makes the game more accountable. Not concerned about delays of the game - lose your timeout for first unsuccessful challenge. Potential delay of game penalty for obvious attempt to use the review/challenge for the purpose of a time out - or referees discretion to deny if that is the circumstance.

why do you need a challenge? So your allowed to ask once, twice but after that your still not getting the call. How many are in a game. More then 1-3. How about there is a game review going on throughout the game that sees the same replays we see all the time and yell at the tv for, when they see something is missed they signal and the call is made.

Like the hand on the puck in the crease. we are being shown it in a replay as the teams line up, the game reviewer sees it, makes the signal there was a blown call and the right call is made.

One challenge per game per coach.

On any call/missed call.

Also, I don't like the idea of two levels of judgement by refs: call/no call, and severity (re: the 1, 2, 3-minute idea not good.imho).

Linesmen already do make calls;they go talk to the ref about things they saw (but they seem to go by some kind of 'advantage rule' a lot of the time).

I would like to see a lot more breadth to 'unsportsmanlike conduct,' too. Grumblegrumble...

I think they should take off one referee and put him upstairs next to the cameras..the game is to fast especially for stick fouls or dive's.This would also mean more unfettered ice to skate in...they seem to get in the way a lot.

Archived