The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Food For Thought

Bissurnette

First and foremost: sorry it's a long read, if you have something more productive to do please do it because all of this is based on my own personal opinion. So, I've been thinking about the situation the canucks are in from various angles... it's not a bad situation. Here's what I think would be good moves by GM Mike Gillis:

Keep Mayray and play him on the third line. He looked good playing on the third line at the end of the post season because he is sound defensively and can use his speed to backcheck hard. Also, he's a "do-it-yourself" type of guy so he doesn't need the offensive linemates to create chances in the offensive zone.

Trade Schneider (and bear with me on this one, I explain myself pretty thoroughly) if Luongo doesn't want out, which has neither been confirmed nor denied yet. I think Schneids is an AMAZING goalie, and a great guy. He will dominate the league in the future. Unfortunately he hasn't played as a starting goalie yet where he gets 60 games a season. It will take him a couple of years before he gets used to playing that many games/season, and he gets his number close to Luongo/Quick/Lundqvist (I think thats how you spell his name), and truly starts dominating the league. This is time the canucks might not have with the Sedins where they are age-wise. Luongo is a proven goalie, if you wanna admit that or not, YES he is a proven elite goalie in the league. He led us to the stanley cup finals not too long ago, how can you forget that? Plus, we have Eddie Lack coming up with good performances in the minors. After that, there's Joe Cannata who is also a promising goalie prospect. But Lack is going to take another 4-5 years before he gets to Schneider's level. By then Luongo would be 38-39, and thats when trading/using him as a backup would make sense.

But trade Schneids for what you ask? Columbus's first round draft pick. Yes I know they said they don't wanna trade it but maybe offer them our first round with Schneids and that will be tough to turn down. With the 2nd overall draft pick, we can get Ryan Murray who is accused of being a Neidermeyer-caliber defensemen by scouts --> pretty handy to have on your team, I think.

With a solid D-man prospect in Mr. Murray, that allows us to hopefully get Shea Weber by trading Tanev and Ballard for him. He's a Norris-caliber D-man, big, tough, intimidating... I don't think I need to sell him. He will be the man we need to maybe help us win the cup NOW, not later. For those of you saying that he'll never sign with canucks, think again. He played with Hamhuis for years, he's familiar with Luongo, he's from BC, AND the canucks are a cup contending canandian team. I think we have as a good a shot of getting him as anyone else. The preds will be getting a top 4 all round d-man who just needs a fresh start, and a good young prospect in Tanev who is showing real promise.

Obviously, those trades will need fine tuning and some other players might be involved, but no major impact players. Those would be the centerpieces in the various trades.

I think up front we're a solid team and we have a good enough offensive threat to work things out. So, here's what the lineup would look like IMO:

Danny-Henrik-Burr/Kass/Jensen... (depeding on how things go)

Amex Line (they showed potential playing together, good hard forechecking and I think they'll produce heavily if they get more than 2 games together to get used to each other)

Mayray-Lappy-The Great Dane

Volpatti-Manny-Bitz/Kass/Weise...

Edler-Weber

Hamhuis-Bieksa (maybe switch Edler and Hamhuis if you have to)

Gragnani/Alberts/Rome-Salo

Obviously the lineup will change back and forth and players will move up and down the roster but maybe this would be a guideline?

These are my thoughts, I'd love to know yours.

Decent post.... Before you get ripped:

Lundqvist, Columbus's, caliber.

Lost me at Weber.... Not a possible trade, the returns would be more attractive from other teams... I think that MG will really look at every option in a way that noone here can do, and if it makes sense, I don't think he will shy away from making a splash.

I would trade whichever goalie gets the higher return. If we trade Luongo, I would sign Schneider for three years at a low cap hit, at that time, Lack should be where Schneider is now and Canatta will be knocking on the door for backup duty. Trade Schneider or Lack then, sign the other for 3 years and repeat the process.

And another tip (I know, cause I used to do it), don't set yourself up for faliure with the old "I know you will be ruthless"/"I apologize for the post that you haven't read yet". Just disregard the flames, you seem like a bright kid and your threads will get better with time.

Decent post.... Before you get ripped:

Lundqvist, Columbus's, caliber.

Lost me at Weber.... Not a possible trade, the returns would be more attractive from other teams... I think that MG will really look at every option in a way that noone here can do, and if it makes sense, I don't think he will shy away from making a splash.

I would trade whichever goalie gets the higher return. If we trade Luongo, I would sign Schneider for three years at a low cap hit, at that time, Lack should be where Schneider is now and Canatta will be knocking on the door for backup duty. Trade Schneider or Lack then, sign the other for 3 years and repeat the process.

And another tip (I know, cause I used to do it), don't set yourself up for faliure with the old "I know you will be ruthless"/"I apologize for the post that you haven't read yet". Just disregard the flames, you seem like a bright kid and your threads will get better with time.

Cool man, thanks for the advice, and I appreciate the words of encouragement. I disagree with what you said about the Weber trade, but thanks for sharing your opinion in a civilized way. I think your way of dealing with the goalie situation is another very good plan, but I don't think that Columbus will trade us their 2nd overall pick for Luongo... Scoring Murray would be huge. With that said, the point you made is certainly a very good one.

The "Amex" Line sucked for me and I would rather not see it back. If we do not get a Perry figure for the Sedins next season put Booth there and get Kes a playmaker (Raymond if he is revitalised and fit) and keep Higgins on his other wing.

I don't care if it is Raymond or anyone else but NOT Booth. Kes and Booth are non compatible imo

The idea of trading Schneider is pretty smart.

Pros:

probably better return

Luongo regains confidence

Management shows confidence

retain a solid, experienced starter

Luongo has had his best years with somebody not pressuring his starting minutes

The group will have one go to guy

Cons:

Don't gain cap space

Luongo is getting older

Luongo may crap the bed

Think of it from Nashville's perspective. Why would they trade away their franchise player, captain, Norris caliber D-man for a bottom pairing D with a big cap, and a relatively unproven D prospect? Tanev is good, but he's more valuable to us than as a trade piece. We'd have a better chance of landing Weber via signing him out of free agency.

Luongo is an elite goaltender and has proven that over the years. His trade value is still pretty high, and while he may not land the 2nd overall, we could opt for the 5th overall from Toronto, or 10th from Tampa. There will be other solid D prospects still available after Murray, including Dumba, Reinhart, Rielly, Ceci, Trouba, etc.

We could even opt to draft a forward like Forsberg, Faksa, Wilson, or even Galchenyuk with the 5th if he's still available.

Although I don;t doubt that Schneider has great trade potential, I believe its the wrong move to trade him. Sure Lou can get us to the playoffs, but just about any goalie in the NHL could get this team there. The team, it has been argued, play better in front of Schneids and 'm thinking its because they have more confidence in him. He gives them a better chance to win in every situation !

His calmness instills positivity in the players, he seldom gives up bad goals and makes it all look so easy(read great fundamentals)Mike Smith and Quick have shown how important stellar goaltending is....Lou did not sizzle in the playoffs.

So it seems that many of you are having issues thinking about what to do with Ryan Murray if we get him. Ladies and gents, I'm here to tell you that it's really not an issue having a player like him on your team. If he's good enough to step into the NHL in the very first game of the season then scratch Gragnani. Hell if he's that sensational scratch Hamhuis or Edler if you have to... What to do with him once he's on your team isn't really a big issue, the challenge is prying that second overall draft pick from Columbus...

Spend years and thousands of dollars to start grooming another player in exchange for your elite franchise goaltender (essentially saying hes not a winning piece of the puzzle), or the fairly proven rookie goaltender that we just groomed for 5 years or so? IMO we would need to see an immediate impact player. We have already traded away Hodgson (an NHL ready center) for a Kassian who was pulled out of the lineup in the playoffs(aka work in progress).

Should we just keep on grooming players and shipping them out for younger prospects and picks?

Archived