The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks Off-Season (Trades & Signings)

A lot of these trades, signings, etc have been used in my other threads, some minor adjustments to signings and line-ups. Nice and simple line-up that i think addresses our team needs to get tougher in our forwards, a top 6 playmakers and to improve our defense signifcantly

PLEASE READ MY NOTES AT THE END!

Enjoy! :)

Off-Season trades:

This is a trade I have proposed in a separate thread so I am basically copy and pasting the trade and the points as well.

To Toronto:

Roberto Luongo

Mason Raymond (RFA Rights)

Chris Tanev

1st Round Pick (2012)

To Vancouver:

Luke Schenn

1st Round Pick (2012-5th Overall)

For Luke Schenn - Mason Raymond (RFA Rights) and Chris Tanev

- Canucks receive Luke Schenn, a very young and talented shutdown defenseman that will help Vancouver have potentially two shutdown pairings (Hamhuis-Bieksa, Edler-Schenn)

- Toronto receives a young defenseman in Chris Tanev who shows a lot of composure and solid defensive ability. He will not replace Schenn but is certainly a good piece and asset to building their defence. Mason Raymond brings even more speed and offence to a fast Toronto team. This also addresses reported want for another top 6 forward (they wanted one on trade deadline day), He gives Toronto an option of trading away other players such as Nikolai Kulemin's RFA rights to obtain a high draft pick still in this years draft. Raymond can also be a key piece to a potential speed killing line with Lombardi, Grabovsk, etc.

For Toronto's 1st round Pick (2012-5th Overall) - Roberto Luongo and 1st Round Pick (2012)

- Canucks receive a top 5 pick in this year's draft that they can use to draft Ryan Murray (if available) or Matt Dumba. This pick will further help the Canuck's defense grow,

- Toronto receives Roberto Luongo, a superstar goaltender that will certainly help address the Leafs' need for better goaltending. A proven 1A goalie is what they needed to take them to the next level this year, and this trade provides them with something I'm sure they are fairly desperate for. Furthermore, they still end up with a 1st Round Pick which they can still use in a package (whether it being with other picks or perhaps Kulemins RFA rights) to move up the draft standings if they choose to do so.

To New York Islanders:

Keith Ballard

To Vancouver:

Conditional 2nd Round Pick (2013)

- Conditions are based on number of games and points Ballard gets. If conditions are not met then the pick becomes a 3rd rounder

- Vancouver sends Ballard to the Islanders to bring stability to the their salary cap.Ballard has show flashes of good solid play, but unfortunately has not been the player that the organization wanted and expected him to be. This move will also help the Canucks make room to re-sign Alex Burrows and Alexander Edler who are currently earning 2 and 3.25 million respectively. I am sure the organization will choose to keep these two key players, and in order to do that they will need to be re-signed with a significant raise.

- The Islanders simply acquire a defenceman who has struggled with his previous team, but has experience and has proved to be the type of guy who can log the big minutes. He can play among the top 4 on the Islanders roster. Furthermore, this move will help the Islanders hit the cap floor.

To Winnipeg:

Manny Malhotra

To Vancouver:

3rd Round Pick (2013)

The Canucks trade away a good face-off man to Winnipeg who may need some help in their bottom 6 with Antropov possibly leaving. He is an ideal bottom 6 guy for them.

Re-Signings

Byron Bitz 2-year deal worth 1.4 million (700k cap hit)

Aaron Volpatti 1-year deal worth 625K

Dale Weise 2-year deal worth 1.3 million (650K cap hit)

Marc-Andre Gragnani 3-year deal worth 2.175 million (725K cap hit)

Corey Schneider 4-year deal worth 15 million (3.75 million cap hit)

Eddie lack 2-year deal worth 1.8 million (900K cap hit)

Free Agent Signings

Matt Carkner 2-year deal worth 1.4 million (700K cap hit)

Brad Boyes 1-year deal worth 3 million

Greg Zanon 1-year deal worth2.25 million

Paul Gaustad 2-year deal worth 5.15 million (2.575 million cap hit)

Your 2012/2013 HEALTHY Vancouver Canucks Line-Up

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Brad Boyes ($3.000m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.575m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.625m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Byron Bitz ($0.700m)

Dale Weise ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.725m) / Greg Zanon ($2.250m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Matt Carkner ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.750m)

Eddie Lack ($0.900m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,750,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,550,000

Extra Notes (PLEASE READ!):

- Boyes can be the playmaker for Kesler. He can score goals and feed the puck as well. He has had a history of being a goal scorer but isn't necessarily a shoot first guy. He has found success in almost every season and team he's played for except this season where he had lower point totals and different role in the bottom 6 of the Sabres. Might be one of the best moves for us I think he can be a good fit on either 2nd line winger or center. Also brings a Center to the 2nd unit powerplay

- Edler-Schenn pairing becomes another shutdown pairing for our team. Grags and Zanon have a mix of offense and defence. I would have no problem mixing up the bottom 4 pairings I think they will have good chemistry. Alberts and Carkner are physical players that will be healthy scratches. Defense becomes more physical and stronger.

- In Kesler's absence I can see either Schroeder or Boyes centering the 2nd line. Kassian may get some playing time earlier in the season but I see him getting top 6 minutes in the AHL for most of the season.

- Gaustad replaces Malhotra and brings a more physical and tough aspect to the 3rd line. The 2-year contract brings stability to the team too in case the organization won't be able to re-sign Higgins and/or Lapierre after next season.

* - One of the most important factors in this proposal is our cap space. We will be in a much more stable and manageable cap situation next off-season with significant players such as Edler, Burrows, Higgins and Lapierre become free agents. We all know these players are all key pieces to our team. Maybe we let a guy like Zanon and maybe Boyes go (depending on Kassians development and Boyes production), which will clear even more space to sign those important guys and perhaps make room for ready prospects (Jensen, Schroeder, Sauve, Connauton, etc)

I think this proposal improves our team and makes it more complete. Not only does it make us a contender still it is also a very good approach for the future as well.

I think the deals are alright, I think there good, but I personally think Luongo is worth either the 1st or Schenn just him, so in that case I kinda think Lu is worth more than he is portrayed in this deal.

I also think we would need to sign Garrison, Wideman or trade for another D-man because I don't that defense is deep enough, and not that the Manny and Ballard trades are bad but i'm thinking if you packaged them together that we could get more in return.

Overall it's pretty good though, Brad Boyes seems pretty good to get, and I've known him as a shooter but I haven't watched him much since his St.Louis days and if he is what u say then he would be a great addition. a 50 goal scorer alongside 30 and 40 goal scorers.

I'm seeing a lot of people say Luongo is worth Schenn or a first. Not that long ago Schenn was rumoured to be traded to JVR straight up. Does that mean everyone thinks Luongo would be able to land us JVR in return?

I'm seeing a lot of people say Luongo is worth Schenn or a first. Not that long ago Schenn was rumoured to be traded to JVR straight up. Does that mean everyone thinks Luongo would be able to land us JVR in return?

I really dont think zanon fits our needs. I would want either wideman or garrison if we dont get J. Shultz.

Dont see us getting a 3rd round pick for Malhotra, maybe two 4th round picks, sort of like what we gave for pahlsonn.

I dont want to trade Lu to TO, and i dont want Schenn because he looks like hes a bust right now but that could change

IMO Lu + Mayrays rights + 1st round pick and 3rd round pick to Tampa for T. Purcell and their top 10 pick overall (draft Reinhart)

I think the deals are alright, I think there good, but I personally think Luongo is worth either the 1st or Schenn just him, so in that case I kinda think Lu is worth more than he is portrayed in this deal.

I also think we would need to sign Garrison, Wideman or trade for another D-man because I don't that defense is deep enough, and not that the Manny and Ballard trades are bad but i'm thinking if you packaged them together that we could get more in return.

Overall it's pretty good though, Brad Boyes seems pretty good to get, and I've known him as a shooter but I haven't watched him much since his St.Louis days and if he is what u say then he would be a great addition. a 50 goal scorer alongside 30 and 40 goal scorers.

I don't think it would be ideal to have Wideman or Garrison on the 3rd pairing. But I'm sure that's not what you meant. If one of those players were to come here I think we would be unable to have Schenn and I think Schenn has a lot of promise and could become a true shutdown dman for us which Wideman and Garrison aren't, They are more like solid offensive dman with some defensive upside

Actually Garrison plays a more defensive style but really broke out offensively this season and meant which ever one we sign would play with Eddie, cause Schenn wouldnt be in our top 4, he has really struggled, on the 3rd pair alot in TO and also a healthy scratch from time to time, so I think we use him on the 3rd with Zanon and sign someone to play in the top 4.

Decent, i think Boyes has the potential to be a major steal this offseason, he has scored 40 goals not very long ago. I think we would have to give up more for the Luongo deal to go through though.

Archived