The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Jensen to play in Sweden if he doesn't make the Canucks roster

nd84

I like that this option is available, and that Jensen and the Canucks are willing to go this route to increase the quality of competition.

However, the impression I have received from the SEL is that they don`t feed younger players the same amount and quality of minutes that the AHL does. What I mean by that is, they don`t play as many minutes, and don`t have a huge role. I know this is circumstantial to the player, and many young European players thrive in the SEL. (Also, I know that Jensen can`t go to the AHL) but it is a worry I have.

I appreciate the positivity that people display about this move, I`m just wondering if Jensen will receive the kind of minutes we want him to over there. It`s almost a certainty that he would be getting prime minutes in the OHL (albeit against lesser competition), and that he would excel. I just don`t want him to be relegated to playing minimal minutes.

Playing the the SEL didn`t hurt Anton Rodin any, so I can`t imagine it will hurt Jensen. As long as he gets played, and plays well I`ll be happy (cause it`s clearly all about me)

With all that said, playing pro > OHL

I like that this option is available, and that Jensen and the Canucks are willing to go this route to increase the quality of competition.

However, the impression I have received from the SEL is that they don`t feed younger players the same amount and quality of minutes that the AHL does. What I mean by that is, they don`t play as many minutes, and don`t have a huge role. I know this is circumstantial to the player, and many young European players thrive in the SEL. (Also, I know that Jensen can`t go to the AHL) but it is a worry I have.

I appreciate the positivity that people display about this move, I`m just wondering if Jensen will receive the kind of minutes we want him to over there. It`s almost a certainty that he would be getting prime minutes in the OHL (albeit against lesser competition), and that he would excel. I just don`t want him to be relegated to playing minimal minutes.

Playing the the SEL didn`t hurt Anton Rodin any, so I can`t imagine it will hurt Jensen. As long as he gets played, and plays well I`ll be happy (cause it`s clearly all about me)

Why not? the SEL has developed some great players recently Erik Karlsson for example who is the youngest player to win the Norris since Orr. I think Swedish prospects are more ready for the NHL because of the experience playing against men for so long compared to Canadian or American prospects. Playing on bigger rinks will only help him develop his skill and playmaking game as there is less dump and chase style hockey, well actually there is very little of it.

Being a fan of Modo I would love to see him come play for us, we got Samuel Pahlsson already who could play on a line with Jensen and we got Morten Madsen another dane on the team who has become one of the leaders on the team and could mentor Jensen. Örnskoldsvik is a small town so there will be little distractions and a lot of focus on his hockey. I think the move is really smart by both the Canucks and Jensen and I haven't heard of teams doing something like this before, it just makes me more confident in the Canuck management.

Some players are forced to play another year of junior hockey even though they could just as well play in the AHL. For me, being Swedish, I think the AHL is not that great for development of skill since most of the players playing in the AHL are seen at most 4th line NHL players. There is too much fighting and hitting for a young skilled prospect to really develop in my mind. I know that the AHL produces the most NHL players in the world, but it is almost forced to do so? The SEL produces a lot of high end skilled players and it is not without hitting. I just think on an overall it is better for his development. Hope more Canuck prospects follow.

As I said before, anyone watching him in the few games he played in Chicago would have realised that he does not have the physical maturity..............yes he picked up points but so did quite a few other players who would not get a spot on a PT team.

This move will be good for him. The Swedish Elite league is not a soft league, nothing like it.

I would honestly doubt that even if he puts in a decent show in the pre season he is going to have anything like what we need in this team on a regular basis and certainly in the playoffs................on the contrary I think we would be kidding ourselves. The guy has loads of potential to be a top player for us eventually but he needs a chance to mature physically and he will probably get bigger too as I doubt he has stopped growing yet.

Jensen playing in Sweden is a great plan.

The kid has suffered a concussion and needs to both develop and limit his exposure to a further,possibly career ending second concussion.

This is the soundest move I have seen from the Canucks regarding head injury awareness,if indeed he goes off to play in the SEL.

Solid,forward thinking and responsible decision making.

If he signs with MODO, I guess having Pahlsson teaching him how to play defense, and Naslund teaching him how to improve on his offense wouldn't seem too bad of an idea. Having those two there sure does help offset the disadvantages of playing a full season on a bigger ice surface. He'd pretty much have these two to mentor him for the whole season =)

What is unclear to me is when the Swedish Elite league holds their playoffs. If it overlaps with the AHL playoffs, Jensen could miss some valuable AHL playoff experience (and it would suck for the Wolves not having him there as well).

If he signs with MODO, I guess having Pahlsson teaching him how to play defense, and Naslund teaching him how to improve on his offense wouldn't seem too bad of an idea. Having those two there sure does help offset the disadvantages of playing a full season on a bigger ice surface. He'd pretty much have these two to mentor him for the whole season =)

What is unclear to me is when the Swedish Elite league holds their playoffs. If it overlaps with the AHL playoffs, Jensen could miss some valuable AHL playoff experience (and it would suck for the Wolves not having him there as well).

How so? First off, it certainly doesn't mirror the NHL. Big ice, less contact, trapping, far easier schedule. Good job though on naming a few elite players as evidence of something.

I'd say the AHL is the 2nd best league in the world. You can disagree. However, for Jensen at this point perhaps playing pro in Sweden is better. Or not. We'll find out.

Archived