The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks draft Alexandre Mallet 57th Overall.

zombieksa

I think Gillis's strategy for drafting is pretty clear.

He likes overage players who other scouts have given up on because it's basically a fast track to development. The fact that he can play for the Wolves next season, means he's one step closer to the NHL than a player who has to play 2 years in the CHL before they can play on the farm.

Every player develops at their own pace, and obviously this guy took a little longer. Clearly he has some pretty good intangibles, and after his breakout season this year, Gillis was willing to use a second round pick on him.

He also seems to like players that are comitted to good University programs the following season. Schools like Harvard, Yale, Boston U, and U of W have great hockey programs, and in 3 or 4 years there's a good chance these players will be NHL ready.

"Should have gone for Frk!"

"Should have picked Ebert!"

"Should have taken Thrower!"

Why? Because they all panned out in the NHL 12 GM mode? I'm serious, that's probably the major thing informing the opinions of several posters.

Every thread you post in is a drive by shot at Kassian witch tells me you dont know jack s..t only bind hate for a player who replace a favorite of yours. We get it you hate Kassian. You should go to the Sabres board and complain about the 2 centers they drafted and 1 in Grigorenko who will really put pressure on your boy.

I'm from Ontario and watch a lot of Sabres games. Kassian played 48 games last year, including playoff games, and he was ineffective and borderline terrible in about 47 of them. You're basing your opinions off a much smaller sample size then myself.

He was out of favour with Ruff and the Sabres clearly got more in Hodgson than we got in Kassian. He is a bigger overhyped version of Oreskovich. He doesn't fight, he rarely hits, makes costly mistakes, takes stupid penalties and he is atrocious in his own end.

We gave him a shot playing with the Sedins, Kesler, and on the 4th. In my opinion He showed little to know offensive flare playing in the top-6, and was horrible on the 4th line.

Edit: This is also the wrong place for this discussion. This thread is about Mallet not Kassian.

Edit x2: If next year the time comes and Kassian turns out to be the player you think he will be, I have no problem saying "well slap my as* and call me a grandma, I guess I was wrong about him". I'm completely fine with being wrong, I just don't think I will be.

I'm from Ontario and watch a lot of Sabres games. Kassian played 48 games last year, including playoff games, and he was ineffective and borderline terrible in about 47 of them. You're basing your opinions off a much smaller sample size then myself.

He was out of favour with Ruff and the Sabres clearly got more in Hodgson than we got in Kassian. He is a bigger overhyped version of Oreskovich. He doesn't fight, he rarely hits, makes costly mistakes, takes stupid penalties and he is atrocious in his own end.

We gave him a shot playing with the Sedins, Kesler, and on the 4th. In my opinion He showed little to know offensive flare playing in the top-6, and was horrible on the 4th line.

Edit: This is also the wrong place for this discussion. This thread is about Mallet not Kassian.

Edit x2: If next year the time comes and Kassian turns out to be the player you think he will be, I have no problem saying "well slap my as* and call me a grandma, I guess I was wrong about him". I'm completely fine with being wrong, I just don't think I will be.

Is it just me or did we pick complete opposite personalities with our first two picks.. haven't seen Gaunce smile yet and he looks all business while Mallet is Mr. Smiles and looks like a fun guy..

my guess is that Gaunce will be an AV favourite while Mallet becomes a fan favourite..

Is it just me or did we pick complete opposite personalities with our first two picks.. haven't seen Gaunce smile yet and he looks all business while Mallet is Mr. Smiles and looks like a fun guy..

my guess is that Gaunce will be an AV favourite while Mallet becomes a fan favourite..

"Should have gone for Frk!"

"Should have picked Ebert!"

"Should have taken Thrower!"

Why? Because they all panned out in the NHL 12 GM mode? I'm serious, that's probably the major thing informing the opinions of several posters.

I liked Hodgson, don't really care that we traded him so much as that we traded him straight up for an overhyped bag of pucks.

Only time will tell, but in 5 years time when I'm right and Kassian is a proven dud feel free to [hold my hand].

Subsequently this thread and my post wasn't about Kassian, it was about judging a player based purely on his size. Players like Zack Kassian and Cody Franson are big but are neither a physical force on the ice nor particularly tough players.

Mallet might not be the biggest player but if he Rypien and Duco show us anything it's that size doesn't mean anything.

Don't get [upset] because I don't like a player that you like.

Rypien was 5'11" and 190lbs and he beat the sh*t out of Boris Valabik who is 6'7" 245lbs who does nothing but fight. Mike Duco is about the same size as Rypien and will also fight pretty much anyone. Zack Kassian is 6'4" 215lbs and barely hits and doesn't fight. Size isn't indicative of the type of player someone will be. If you're tough, you're tough.

Only time will tell but if this kid can throw and is willing to do what he needs to protect his teammates and score goals he's already a step up from a player like Kassian.

Excited to see how this kid does in training camp.

I liked Hodgson, don't really care that we traded him so much as that we traded him straight up for an overhyped bag of pucks.

Only time will tell, but in 5 years time when I'm right and Kassian is a proven dud feel free to [hold my hand].

Subsequently this thread and my post wasn't about Kassian, it was about judging a player based purely on his size. Players like Zack Kassian and Cody Franson are big but are neither a physical force on the ice nor particularly tough players.

Mallet might not be the biggest player but if he Rypien and Duco show us anything it's that size doesn't mean anything.

Don't get [upset] because I don't like a player that you like.

Archived