The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks draft Alexandre Mallet 57th Overall.

zombieksa

Smart move imo. With the potential of some of the other youngsters on the wolves getting a promotion they needed to add a few guys down there that could potentially come up for injuries. I expect him to challenge Volpatti, Kassian, Duco, Pinizotto, etc at training camp. I am not saying he is better than those guys, but some more competition is a good thing.

nhl.com has him as a left wing, but the rest of the sources list him as a center - a gritty depth center with skill sounds like another appropriate pick.

34 goals, 81 points, 123 pim, +27, 13 pts in 10 playoff games.

At this point finding star talent is rare so if Mallet could become a steady bottom six player than I would consider the pick a success, the 57th round pick may as well be an early 3rd round pick anyways. The benefit of choosing older players is, assuming their conditioning is up to par, they can make the transition to the higher levels faster and it seems based on the article that he can compete against stronger players so he could very well make it to the AHL next season. The drawbacks of choosing older players is that they have a shorter window of development and their stats could be inflated since they were in the junior leagues for too long. Only time will tell like all players taken in the draft regardless of which round he has potential, its just a matter of fulfilling it.

Archived