The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cory Schneider, Manny Malholtra: Canucks representatives at NHLPA CBA discussion.

Ossi Vaananen

I thought it was worth noting that Cory Schneider and Manny Malholtra join a shortlist of 31 players attending the NHLPA committee. Here I would like to discuss implications, both the positive and negative regarding why Cory Schneider might feel it necessary to attend the CBA discussion.

Positive:

Does Cory's attendance mean he has taken a greater role with the team in representing Canucks players at the CBA discussion?

Negative:

Could Cory's attendance mean he is looking to voice change in the CBA that would allow him more freedom in his current contract? Does Cory's attendance mean he wants out?

As it stands, Cory Schneider has yet to sign a deal with the Canucks. He has already completed an entry level deal prior to his current contract; unfortunately almost all of his entry level deal was spent in the AHL. Having completed an entry level as well as his second contract, while being 26... Cory falls within a unique position of being considered a RFA being just a year out of UFA status. Having completed two contracts should put Schneider in a better negotiating position with the Canucks, however if he wants to stay with the team his hand is more or less forced to take what the Canucks offer.

I just figured it was worth noting that Schneider is getting screwed by the Canucks in a third contract, despite having already completed two. Maybe I am reading too far into this, but I take his attendance as a negative, in as much as he probably wants a better negotiating position with the Canucks.

Thoughts?

Yeah I kept seeing Cory on TSN whenever they showed the players, never saw Manny but it is great that some of our players are involved.

Especially to have a young player like Cory, it's also nice that there are more young players involved in the process like Tavares, Toews, Schneider and so on now with Fehr at the helm.

Whys Rick DiPietro there?

lol

To plead with the PA for more injury pay?? :lol:

Says a lot that Schneider who has only played 2 full seasons in the NHL is included on that list of players and that he is a part of this process. He has a degree in finance from BC so he's not a jock who only knows sports. He's a well-educated and very cerebral guy and it shows in his game because he doesn't just react to plays. He thinks them through and plays very scientifically.

I don't think he's there to ruffle any feathers and I don't think his participation has any bearing on his contract with the Canucks.

He's a guy whose educational background will help the PA in their stance during negotiations. Malhotra as well is a very smart guy. They need all those types of players to lend their knowledge so that the PA can be well represented

Yeah I kept seeing Cory on TSN whenever they showed the players, never saw Manny but it is great that some of our players are involved.

Especially to have a young player like Cory, it's also nice that there are more young players involved in the process like Tavares, Toews, Schneider and so on now with Fehr at the helm.

I thought it was worth noting that Cory Schneider and Manny Malholtra join a shortlist of 31 players attending the NHLPA committee. Here I would like to discuss implications, both the positive and negative regarding why Cory Schneider might feel it necessary to attend the CBA discussion.

Positive:

Does Cory's attendance mean he has taken a greater role with the team in representing Canucks players at the CBA discussion?

Negative:

Could Cory's attendance mean he is looking to voice change in the CBA that would allow him more freedom in his current contract? Does Cory's attendance mean he wants out?

As it stands, Cory Schneider has yet to sign a deal with the Canucks. He has already completed an entry level deal prior to his current contract; unfortunately almost all of his entry level deal was spent in the AHL. Having completed an entry level as well as his second contract, while being 26... Cory falls within a unique position of being considered a RFA being just a year out of UFA status. Having completed two contracts should put Schneider in a better negotiating position with the Canucks, however if he wants to stay with the team his hand is more or less forced to take what the Canucks offer.

I just figured it was worth noting that Schneider is getting screwed by the Canucks in a third contract, despite having already completed two. Maybe I am reading too far into this, but I take his attendance as a negative, in as much as he probably wants a better negotiating position with the Canucks.

Thoughts?

Positive:

Negative:

Thoughts?

Archived