The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Simply breath-taking: The Milky Way floats over a serene lake in an image which took two years to get just right

Navyblue

Incredible. I wanted to add something to the list of threads that we all could appreciate...whichever side of what ever dispute that may be going in whichever place or time, can most surely appreciate the beauty of this picture.

What a beautiful day it was today too.

;)

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1z3FLEgdS

Occasionally an image comes along which is simply breath-taking.

This, we humbly submit, is one of them, an image of the Orion Arm of the Milky Way galaxy, stretching in an immense band across the skies and giving us just the tiniest glimpse of the vastness of our universe around us.

The image was taken by astrophotographer Luc Perrot on the French island of Réunion, to the East of Madagascar, who reports that he waited two years to get the perfect light conditions.

But it was worth it.

So beautiful, thanks for posting! Reminds me of last summer, camping on Sydney Island. We had unbelievably clear skies the first night, and spent literally hours lying on the grass watching the sky. It got more and more breathtaking as the sky got darker and darker, could even make out the milky way too. I don't think I've ever seen that many stars, it was amazing...

Archived