The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Justin Schultz to Oilers

Apparently he has the character to what to be on the ice and make a difference. His contract was 3mil + whether he was a number 6 or a number 2. Judging his character because he wants to play is ridiculous. Normally a guy wanting to play 20min a game for his big contract is better than a guy who only wants to play 10min for the same big contract.

The fans calling this guy a brat and questioning his character because he made a personal decision THAT HE WAS ENTIRELY ENTITLED TO MAKE is beyond pathetic.

Its just your typical fanboy that floods CDC

Short cut? he chose to go to the last place team, that also happens to be in Edarctica where most people don't want to live, for the same money he could have got in detroit, ny, toronto or van. .. and somehow he took the easy road?

lol go cry fanboy

Short cut? he chose to go to the last place team, that also happens to be in Edarctica where most people don't want to live, for the same money he could have got in detroit, ny, toronto or van. .. and somehow he took the easy road?

Easy in that he went wher he gets guaranteed top minutes without having earned them or learned his trade at the NHL level. Lots of young "stars" that get rushed to the NHL, suffer by being put in positions they are not yet ready for.

It's a big leap playing against 220lb+ NHL forwards versus college kids. HE is not big physically and in a top 2 or 4 role could find himself struggling big time to cope.

A lot of sour grapes on this thread.

Personally, I think it's kind of cool to see someone with the opportunity to play for ANY team in the NHL, pick the Oilers. It would have been nice to see him pick Vancouver, but Edmonton was the best choice for him.

The Oilers will be among the top teams in the next few years and he could be a big part of that. Best of luck to him.

Easy in that he went wher he gets guaranteed top minutes without having earned them or learned his trade at the NHL level. Lots of young "stars" that get rushed to the NHL, suffer by being put in positions they are not yet ready for.

It's a big leap playing against 220lb+ NHL forwards versus college kids. HE is not big physically and in a top 2 or 4 role could find himself struggling big time to cope.

So um.. i'm struggling to see how thats the easy road.

LMAO I love how people on CDC pick and choose on who the ridicule for certain comments made and not for others. Its fine. It's the joys of message boards. And for the record, I never became a Schultz hater because I made a comment earlier about hits and elbows and such. I hope he has a great career whether it be here, Edmonton, Ottawa, hell even MoDo. All the best to him. Just because someone has just topped 20 posts, doesn't mean they can't make cracks about players or situations. Doesn't mean that person hasn't been reading the CDC for years, or just became a canucks fan yesterday. People, please think before you flame.

Justin, god speed!!!

If anything, the shortcut would have been to sign with Vancouver. He is now paying his dues and learning his craft to become an effective player for a struggling team. He wants to help pull that team out from the bottom rather than coast his way to a Stanley Cup with the Canucks.

At this point in time, the Oilers remind me a lot of the late-1990s Canucks. That team needed time to build, and established a core around Markus Naslund, Todd Bertuzzi, and Mattias Ohlund. The Oilers are doing something very similar. That team will grow and become stronger with time and experience.

Problem is, the Oilers while "growing" have been throwing their young stars onto the ice in scenarios that have seen them get injured because they were not yet strong enough or experienced enough to handle it. Both Taylor Hall and RNH have been treated this way. Edmonton doesn't have the depth to bring these guys along under the shelter of vets. It's kind of sink or swim.

SChultz may excel and grow with the team, or he may lose confidence or have a career shortening injury. It's a bit more of a gamble, they path he has chosen.

People here need to understand that Schultz may not even make our team. We have a deep D-men core. Must have been the call from Gretzky and Coffey.

As much as we like to dislike the Oilers, it's always fun to watch intense matches between two great rivals. The Oilers have been a very lacklustre team for the past several years, and to see them gradually pull themselves out from the bottom of the league is a great sign. Vancouver deserves a top Northwest Division rival.

Everyone here can recall the tremendous matches between the Vancouver Canucks and the Colorado Avalanche in the early-2000s. We despised the Avalanche, though we admired some of the great players on that team. This city has lacked a rivalry to be excited about for quite some time, and to see that the Oilers could be that next rival is, frankly, quite thrilling.

Vancouver vs Edmonton is no longer a marquee matchup. I feel that needs to change for the sake of both fanbases. The most exciting games are the ones between two top teams; nobody wants to pay to see a game against a mediocre opponent (i.e. the Columbus Blue Jackets).

Edmonton had great succsess against Vancouver this year actually.

Knew it was too good to be true.. Gillis better go after Garrison now.

Does everyone realize Garrison has been demanding 5mil+?

Don't see that happening with the Canucks. He'd be their top paid defensemen, no?

Archived