The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sign Alex Semin

Imagine how much he would impact Kesler or Booth's game? I think if we can't get Doan, this is the guy we go for...

EDIT: @Jagermeister -- I'd offer him 6 mil, as already stated! lol (No way he gets more than the Sedin's) His attitude changes being introduced to a humble environment like the Canucks or we move on next season, the beauty of a one year contract 'try out.' :)

Say what you want about him being a "locker room cancer", this guy was one of the best forwards in the 2012 playoffs. He scored so many clutch goals, was definately the best Capital, and was scoring great timely goals when it mattered.

Right now our top-9 is dominated by physical powerforwards, we are really lacking skill which we used to have with Samuelsson. Now, we have 3 purely skilled guys (Sedins and Raymond) and 6 powerforwards (Burrows, Kesler, Booth, Higgins, Lapierre, Hansen) and obviously our 3rd line are powerforwards/grinders.

Look at Los Angeles, they won the Cup with the right mix of skill (Kopitar, Williams, Carter) but also powerforwards (Brown, Richards, Penner). We could desperately use Semin on our 2nd line to bring some pure skill to a line full of powerforwards.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Semin

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Raymond - Malhotra - Kassian

Now each line has the perfect mix of grit, toughness, speed and skill. Our 3rd line is the grittiest (as it should be), and our powerplay gets a massive boost looking like these:

Sedin - Sedin - Semin

Edler - Garrison

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Say what you want about him being a "locker room cancer", this guy was one of the best forwards in the 2012 playoffs. He scored so many clutch goals, was definately the best Capital, and was scoring great timely goals when it mattered.

Right now our top-9 is dominated by physical powerforwards, we are really lacking skill which we used to have with Samuelsson. Now, we have 3 purely skilled guys (Sedins and Raymond) and 6 powerforwards (Burrows, Kesler, Booth, Higgins, Lapierre, Hansen) and obviously our 3rd line are powerforwards/grinders.

Look at Los Angeles, they won the Cup with the right mix of skill (Kopitar, Williams, Carter) but also powerforwards (Brown, Richards, Penner). We could desperately use Semin on our 2nd line to bring some pure skill to a line full of powerforwards.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Semin

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Raymond - Malhotra - Kassian

Now each line has the perfect mix of grit, toughness, speed and skill. Our 3rd line is the grittiest (as it should be), and our powerplay gets a massive boost looking like these:

Sedin - Sedin - Semin

Edler - Garrison

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Bieksa - Hamhuis

Just like someone posted before me, you need a balance to win championships. We have plenty of 2 way forwards that grind it out, that's the reason our offense comes primarily from the Sedin line, if we add Semin we add a type of player that we don't yet have on our team; a pure sniper and one of the most skilled players in the league. Like I've mentioned in another thread, offer Semin a 1 year deal worth 5 million with 1 million in bonuses if he scores 40 goals .5 million more for 50 goals, .5 more for 60 goals, etc... I'm tired of peoples ignorant perceptions of Semin that they get from mainstream media, if all the naysayers had watched more Washington games, they'd all want him to sign here.

Have you ever watched him? Semin hardly helped?! You have no clue who Semin is.

But OK that is a typical CDC member post against Euro (especially Russian) players.

Semin was Capitals best player nearly every playoffs. His playoffs numbers are similar to Sedins, Kesler (only Canucks that can compare), Parise,... and way better than Doans, Morrow,...

He has 34 points in 51 career playoff games,

Make any argument you want, but to say he is a valuable playoff performer is absolute garbage.

Not to mention the fact he is softer than a fluffy kitten and has zero passion, he is exactly the type of player the Canucks do not need to get through the playoffs.

Same points as Kesler. Kesler is not valuable? Yes Kesler hits here and there but Semin has other duties. Most of Semins points were clutch. And about hiss passion there are coaches & other team members to motivate him.

Canucks need goal scorers! Or you enjoy the boring hockey we've been watching lately from them? We need at least 2 lines that can score. LA had 4! Hitters, enforcers will only help us miss the playoffs...

Kesler = one of the best 2-way players in the game.

Semin = one of the worst defensive players in the game.

The fact you even tried to compare the 2 shows me that you aren't even worth my time arguing with.

Sure. That is why Kesler will never make Semins money.

Last year Kesler disappeared after Nashville series and was nowhere against LA. Yes I know... he played hurt you'll say... and saying that Semin is one of the worst def. players makes me think you're not worth my time.

Don't get me wrong - it is not my point to bash Kesler. But to win the cup we need both type of playres!

And what we miss now is somebody to make the play and to score goals!

No this article just affirms my knowledge of Semin.

And if you seriously don't know who Matt Bradley, a 600 game veteran of the NHL is, then I really don't know what to say about your knowledge of hockey in general.

Archived