The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With all these crazy signings, what is Ballard worth now?

Italia2006

Minor?

I'd call it a little bit more than minor, when a guy signs a 6 year, $26M contract (whatever it was), plays on a crappy team's top-four, then gets traded, and benched, for the likes of Aaron Rome, Andrew Alberts, and 140 lb. Chris Tanev. And he hasn't shown improvement, year-over-year. In fact, he's been getting worse.

Nope, just pointing out a blatant contradiction of yours.

Anyway, sounds like we now both agree that he's an overpaid, bottom-pairing/press-box defenceman. And I know that you'd "like" him to develop into a top-pairing defenceman this summer, much like you'd probably "like" to see Manny Malhotra score 50 goals in 50 games. Just don't bet on it.

At what point do guys like Connauton get a chance? If we keep a deep defense all the time then the answer is never for our prospects. we may not need Ballards cap space now but maybe later. I find the thought of having an extra 9.5 mil in cap between lou and ballard a nice thought. I like Ballard but he will not out perform Hamuis edler bieksa and Garrison. so its over 4 mil for a third pair D. We can do better up front with that money. Look at it this way we could overpay a guy like Doan and still have more cap space.

Bottom line is we have 3 good left side D-men, NONE of whom can play the right side .. ONE of the three must be moved .. Ballard is not worth 4.2 million on our team due to circumstance .. however, Ballard is worth at least 4.2 million on other teams .. look at what Matt Carle just received as a contract .. let us all stop spewing crap and think in an objective manner .. as EOTM said, Ballard is worth what he is getting paid as he is getting paid that much .. just like a Pizza Pop is worth 97 cents because that is how much you pay for one .. :towel:

Bottom line is we have 3 good left side D-men, NONE of whom can play the right side .. ONE of the three must be moved .. Ballard is not worth 4.2 million on our team due to circumstance .. however, Ballard is worth at least 4.2 million on other teams .. look at what Matt Carle just received as a contract .. let us all stop spewing crap and think in an objective manner .. as EOTM said, Ballard is worth what he is getting paid as he is getting paid that much .. just like a Pizza Pop is worth 97 cents because that is how much you pay for one .. :towel:

Ballard averaged 30 points a season before coming to Vancouver and threw 150 hits a season.

He has had two fairly serious injuries in his two years here, has had a hard time getting some continuity, hasn't really had a complementary partner/pairing, and due to the depth of the Canucks top 4, has played more of a depth role than he had previously. People like to blame AV for this. I don't think it is anywhere near that simple.

I like Ballard - I particularly like the fact he has been very stand-up, acknowledging having to improve his game - he has shown a good attitude and ability to handle criticism. His game was improving when he suffered his second injury, and he came back strong from that injury this season and played well. There is a lot of upside to his game - he is obviously an outstanding skater, he isn't a big guy, but is relatively physical for his size, he moves the puck well. The one thing that has annoyed me about his game has been his sometimes casual pursuit of loose pucks, but that aside, I think he was showing signs of being the top four guy he was, and is due for a bounce back season. He is certainly capable of being (if not already) one of the best third pairing d-men in the NHL, and a valuable guy to have in the event of injury to your top 4, as he is capable of playing quality top 4 minutes. The fact that the Canucks don't have that 7 million dollar contract on their blueline allows them more balance, and at an NHL average of 3 million, I am not going to complain about Ballard's 4.2. People here like to malign him exceedingly, but I think there are a lot of teams that would be very intelligent to try to pry him away. A team like Edmonton could really use a guy like Ballard. IMO he is a better bang for your buck than any of the Leafs veteran blueliners. I have a feeling he could have a bounce back year, and Tanev may be the most suitable partner he has had in his tme here. The Kings third pairing of Greene and Martinez was pretty solid, but if Tanev continues to improve as he has to this point, he and Ballard imo could also be considered in a class with the best third pairings in the NHL.

Archived