The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So is 4.6 mil the max for D-men? Is that the message we're sending?

DeNiro

The thing is a player like Weber is a cornerstone piece, you can quickly build off. Our team is good now. Weber with a long term deal gives stability, you have a decent D with just him and Pylons. I say you pay whatever it takes. Defense wins Championships, if in doubt check out L.A., with their 3 defensive D- Men. Weber is a freak and must be had.

Edler could, and should in today's market, touch on $5.5 and I would pay it. $7 mill and I would probably hold back and try and pay Weber $9. Given the choice I would also pay Weber...

See below for an explanation.

With the signing of Garrison at 4.6 mil, and Gillis stating that he had to fit into our internal cap structure, does that mean that no defenseman on this team will make more than that?

Will Edler be willing to take that amount if we sign him long term, or do we make a push for Weber instead, and sign him to a big contract?

I don't think our players would have a problem signing Weber to a big contract since he definitely is a top 5 defenseman in the league. But I wonder how they would feel about Edler making the 6-7 mil, that he could easily fetch on the open market.

With the signing of Garrison at 4.6 mil, and Gillis stating that he had to fit into our internal cap structure, does that mean that no defenseman on this team will make more than that?

Will Edler be willing to take that amount if we sign him long term, or do we make a push for Weber instead, and sign him to a big contract?

I don't think our players would have a problem signing Weber to a big contract since he definitely is a top 5 defenseman in the league. But I wonder how they would feel about Edler making the 6-7 mil, that he could easily fetch on the open market.

Yes that is the max.

Weber will be offered a deal for 4.6 million for 20 years, age 28 to 48.

Seriously though, if he wants to play here it will be for 6.5 or 7. Sedin-like contract with inflation. We dot have to overpay if the player wants to play here - but we don't underpay either...

But maybe mg will surprise and offer him 8-9 but I doubt it.

The thing is a player like Weber is a cornerstone piece, you can quickly build off. Our team is good now. Weber with a long term deal gives stability, you have a decent D with just him and Pylons. I say you pay whatever it takes. Defense wins Championships, if in doubt check out L.A., with their 3 defensive D- Men. Weber is a freak and must be had.

Ditto. I really hope the new CBA reduces the amount of money a single player is allowed to make. I agree with the cap system but I don't agree with certain players being signed to ridiculous long-term deals that are heavily front loaded to circumvent the cap. The talent pool in this league seems to get smaller every year as a result.

No player should be allowed to make more than 10% of the salary cap and a player's salary should be the same as their cap hit.

With a maximum cap hit of 10% of the salary cap, a player should be able to make no more than $7.02-million per year (as of the 2012-2013 season) with a maximum term of ten years (total contract = salary cap for that year). If they want $14.04-million per year they should not be allowed to sign a contract longer than 5 years (so that the contract signed is equal to the salary cap for the year in which they signed the contract).

Players like Suter, Parise, Crosby, etc. are allowed to make $14+ million per year in salary with a cap hit of only $7.5-million, $7.5-million, and $8.7-million respectively. I understand when a player signed to a 3 year deal and makes $3.75 the first year, $4 the second year, and $4.25 million the third year that his cap hit is $4-million. That makes sense. A player signed to a 13 year $98-million contract who is making $12 the first year and $1-million the last three years is absolute BS. It's cap circumvention and it shouldn't be allowed. $12 million in salary should be a $12 million cap hit.

The cap system as it stands now is broken. I don't think there is a team in this league that hasn't circumvented it.

Why is everyone assuming we're going to go after Weber...? I'm so confused.

Sure, he's a great player but he doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would fit into our dressing room. This team isn't interested in signing big stars for huge contracts... History shows that management wants to sign undervalued players with potential and the right attitude/personality.

We're not going to be whoring ourselves out to get Weber, I can guarantee it. He's the kind of guy that thinks money first, in which case he'll get a better offer from a city that doesn't have much to offer in terms of lifestyle (i.e. Nashville...)

Archived