The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will League Review Suter/Parise Contracts?

I don't think they will either. These contracts go until they are 40, which isn't completely unreasonable. I think Kovalchuk's deal went until he was 42 or 43 which is getting into Chelios territory. Maybe 40 is the limit for the NHL to take issue with it?

I do think the NHL should do something about these obvious cap circumventing deals. My idea is that the team should just take the cap hit straight up. No averaging it out over the length of the deal. There would be no incentive (other than job security) for these super long contracts.

Based on past rulings (Hossa, Luongo, Kovi) I don't see anything illegal about these deals either. The new CBA will certainly change that, but they can't say anything until there's something in place to prevent it.

This contract was ALSO approved and endorsed by Gary Bettman.

2010-11 $10,000,000

2011-12 $6,716,000

2012-13 $6,714,000

2013-14 $6,714,000

2014-15 $6,714,000

2015-16 $6,714,000

2016-17 $6,714,000

2017-18 $6,714,000

2018-19 $3,382,000

2019-20 $1,618,000

2020-21 $1,000,000

2021-22 $1,000,000

This one's essentially an 8 year deal, Zetterberg's 9, both stretched out to 12 years to circumvent the cap.

The NHL should review these contracts, but they probably won't. Besides, it'll be nice seeing Minnesota try to get these 2 overpaid players off their hands when they start being liabilities.

As a Fan of the Wild , I'm at the same time excited to get these two players that are really gonna help to improve the team but I am wondering how we will resign our great prospects , as it is vital to resign them in a few years, we will need Coyle, Dumba, Granlund , Brodin etc...

That's asinine reasoning, why should they be guessing at when they'll decline as players and causing their highest paid contract years to look smaller on the books? Time to limit the term length because we all know NHL GM's just can't control themselves..

At the end of the 12 year contracts the cap will be over 190 million with the average growth rate since cap inception. The 7.5 cap will only be 3.9% of the cap. We pay almost 40 star players about 4 million per year now or roughly 5.7% of the cap (Whitney, Jagr, Selanne, etc).

And that's if they decide to play those last few years. Remaining competitive won't be an issue with these contracts, even at half the growth rate.

Now that the structure of the contracts is public showing the final 3 years paying almost nothing just to lower the cap hit... do you think the league reviews these and maybe doesn't allow them?

There are arguments on both sides of the equation as to whether the league would do this:

1. It is a good news story that a small market place gets these guys.

Archived