The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CNN questions Bill Nye

hockeyfan87

There's a reason why they they stopped calling it global warming and started calling it climate change...

People try and discredit scientists by saying the world isn't getting hotter, when really the term climate change simply means that the climate is shifting. That's why we're seeing more and more extreme weather patterns.

And yes it is being caused by man.

There's also no definitive causal link between smoking and lung cancer.

We have unlimited resources.

There's an infinite amount of oil in the world.

The planet can handle 20 billion humans..

Naaah....climate change isn't real.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/thick-melt.html

It must be killer whales and belugas farting that's melting the ice caps. Yeah...that's it...

Denying facts doesn't make them less true. Humans are living beyond our means. It's only a matter of time until civilization falls, that is unless we work together and fix our problems instead of arguing about them.

There's also no definitive causal link between smoking and lung cancer.

We have unlimited resources.

There's an infinite amount of oil in the world.

The planet can handle 20 billion humans..

Naaah....climate change isn't real.

http://www.nasa.gov/...thick-melt.html

It must be killer whales and belugas farting that's melting the ice caps. Yeah...that's it...

Denying facts doesn't make them less true. Humans are living beyond our means. It's only a matter of time until civilization falls, that is unless we work together and fix our problems instead of arguing about them.

/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=10781884">snapback.pngzaibatsu, on 13 July 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

I see that in regions of the globe it's certainly warming, data also reflects that. No argument there.

I can see in lab tests that CO2 has environmental impacts.

OTOH, I'm sceptical of warming being due to humans. One can presume CO2 has some impact, but to the degree of which.. I'm not sure, doubtful in fact at the moment, such broad climate change is something we're that in control of, and have the capacity to stop, reverse, and so on, like Captain Climate saves the planet . Models.. predictions, nothing more, without all of the variables, in fact. It's like predicting the Stanley Cup Finals winner, looking at a list of recent winners, but not even knowing a handful of teams.

The precautionary notion of "just in case we're right" is one of the principle scare tactic reasons I despise religion, it's a detraction from learning, I've found out that basing such important decisions like that out of irrational fear is more often detrimental compared to doing nothing.

Added to that, highly prominent political influences come from those who are adding to the element of fear that already exists because they stand to gain substantially from ideas such as carbon taxes. My main car is a Ford Escape Hybrid, but I bought it because in the long run it saves huge amounts on gas because I live in the middle of the GTA, not out of fear, not out of carbon guilt.. there are logically economic ways to get people to switch to more energy efficient means of doing things, but it's very difficult in some cases and requires more certainties. I don't think more certainties for the masses is that egregious. I would like to wait and see if any climate model can be highly accurate, and see if this pattern represents more long term climate change than perhaps a few decades then changes again to start up a new environmentalist/alarmist movement.

I really don't buy the political influences argument. First of all global warming has been an accepted theory long before the idea of a carbon tax was first floated. Second, don't you think the idea that the gov't created this massive global warming hoax just so they could create another tax is a bit 'tin foil' hat conspiract theory nuts. Gov'ts especially those coming from resource rich areas such as Western Canada or Texas have far more to gain by disproving climate change then creating as some grand conspriacy. If you want to go down the "who has something to gain" road why not look at the ties between so called climate change specifics and the oil industry.

Archived