The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

4 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

Lions special team coverage on kick returns this year sucks.  Miss the days of having an actual threat of taking it all the way for a TD.

All the great CFL returners like Chad Owens, Larry Taylor, Tristan Jackson, Dominique Dorsey and Bashar Livingston lost their big play ability when teams figured out their tendencies and really made it a focus to game plan them. They were really good only 1-2 years and then became average when teams became hyper aware when they were on the field returning.

Even Brandon Banks in Hamilton is having a down year.

It's very disappointing before this season I was looking forward to Chris Rainey and Chris Williams being on the field at least some of the time on offence and back in the return game.

Special teams all round has been anything but special this year.

Ty Long might be a slight upgrade on Richie Leone but that is about it.

The Lions o line still makes me uneasy sometimes just waiting for Lulay or Jennings to get rocked.

But it doesn't mean anything if they play sloppy next week.

Looks like I was on to something before Buono boy did they ever play sloppy in Saskabush.

Good luck getting more than 20,000 at BC Place this week vs Calgary with that crap they pulled on Sunday night.

7 hours ago, spur1 said:

You don't win without the running game. 

Johnson only had 5 touches in the game. 5 in the first quarter is more like it. 

Very astute observation. Lions have the best run game this year a good power rb and run blocking O-line that is surprisingly competent. More runs equals less pass attempts for Jennings which means less opportunity to throw more picks than tds which he has done for half the year so far.

Get the run game going THEN you can take the deep shots to Chris Williams and even Burnham or Arceneaux off the play action once the d is keying on the run game.

If Jennings stinks it up again I'd be tempted to use this as a "learning year" and finish it watching Lulay show how you win a playoff game.

10 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Or fast forward. I had it pvr'd. Think I got through it in about 30 minutes. 

Remind me to do that next time. Or just don't bother watching and catch the highlights.....

I hate watching games that are already over it doesn't feel right to watch sports recorded for some reason. You wanna react to it and get emotional when it's going on not when it is already done and you watch a few hours or days later with less emotion because inevitably you know you are watching something that people know already happened and the details are out there try as you might to avoid the internet and radio and a loudmouth.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Remind me to do that next time. Or just don't bother watching and catch the highlights.....

I hate watching games that are already over it doesn't feel right to watch sports recorded for some reason. You wanna react to it and get emotional when it's going on not when it is already done and you watch a few hours or days later with less emotion because inevitably you know you are watching something that people know already happened and the details are out there try as you might to avoid the internet and radio and a loudmouth.

Believe me it's not easy. Many times I've ended up looking like a weirdo with my hands over my ears mouthing nonsensical things so I don't hear what happened. In this case with the Seahawks playing at the same time I had to make a choice, looks like I chose right. 

18 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I used to feel the same way but I've changed my mind.

The great thing about PVRs is that you can watch a program from the start while it's still being recorded.  I'm getting into the habit of watching a football game about a half hour or so after it starts.  Watch it from the beginning, speed search through commercials, video reviews and half time and you can catch up to the live action sometime in the fourth quarter.

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎13 at 7:33 PM, Grapefruits said:

Lions special team coverage on kick returns this year sucks.  Miss the days of having an actual threat of taking it all the way for a TD.

Rainey has had a couple of TDs called back by penalty and more than a few big returns as well. I'd look into fining players that take penalties on returns, it is just too big a yardage swing to keep giving away.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

Rainey has had a couple of TDs called back by penalty and more than a few big returns as well. I'd look into fining players that take penalties on returns, it is just too big a yardage swing to keep giving away.

Half the season is over yet they still haven't figured it out yet to unshackle Rainey.