The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

Wow what a finish. Glad I caught the last 10 minutes when Calgary made their charge.

2nd and goal from the 1 yard line at the end of the 4th how do you not hand the ball to your big power back to punch it in? Reminded me of Seattle not handing the ball to Lynch.:ph34r:

Messam looked pissed after the 4th quarter that he didn't get a chance to be the righful hero and punch the ball in for that td to win.

Instead Dickenson tries to make Bo Levi the hero by trying the qb sneak and he gets tripped up.

Then his arrogance shows when they try to go for the td on 1st down when they could have been more patient.

Edited by Chip Kelly

1 hour ago, Grapefruits said:

CFL couldn't have asked for a better game.  So glad Calgary lost.  Their arrogance really was their killer.  Going for the end zone on first down was a huge mistake. You have 3 downs to get 10 yards and you have the top rusher in the League. Just push the ball forward.

Must have taken a page from Pete Carrol in Seattle town.  Come on you have the ball in the dying seconds of the Super Bowl with Lynch there to take a couple of steps into the end zone and you call a pass.  Super Grey Cup though glad Ottawa pulled it off. One for the ages.

BC Lions coaching staff need to take note on how Ottawa's offensive gameplan against Calgary. Calgary clearly the better team in terms of talent, so Ottawa had to throw everything at them to even have a chance. Burris played quite possibly the best game of his career. The game plan was great by using TONS of misdirection and motion and this seemed to throw Calgary's defense off. It gave Ottawa a big enough lead just to hang on because with Calgary's talent, they still were able to come back from a 20 point deficit. BC coaching under Wally has always been about executing the same game plan all year along and beating teams with talent rather then scheming. Ottawa showed how valuable scheming is especially when you are heavy underdogs. 

Edited by almo89

17 minutes ago, Neversummer said:

Was Calgary Stamps failure as epic as Golden State Warriors?  How about the New England Patriots to NYG?

I think the answer lies somewhere in between. Giants beating the Patriots was huge, but Oklahoma City (albeit in a completely different playoff format) had Golden State on the ropes before they even made the finals. In my opinion, it's not like GS cruised their way through like the Patriots and Stamps did. 

31 minutes ago, Johnny Shotgun said:

Must have taken a page from Pete Carrol in Seattle town.  Come on you have the ball in the dying seconds of the Super Bowl with Lynch there to take a couple of steps into the end zone and you call a pass.  Super Grey Cup though glad Ottawa pulled it off. One for the ages.

I will never like that play call, but it doesn't mean I don't understand it given the context of what down it was, the time left on the board, and the number of time outs remaining.

This stung though, stung a lot:

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Great job, Ottawa. Really did not like BL Mitchell's throwing his arms up, etc. like he's always looking to blame someone (else).  I think he banked on an easy win and I'm quite happy with the outcome.

He did it again in the post game presser. Didn't come out and actually say it, but he was whining about the QB keeper, instead of giving the ball to Messam at the end of regulation.

BTW Chip, it was the backup, Buckley who got the carry on that play.

Pretty awesome to see the Redblacks bring the Cup back to Ottawa after 40 years. It was supposed to be Calgary closing out a dominant season, but like Herman Edwards said: "That's why you play the game"....

• Upvote 3

On 11/27/2016 at 3:11 PM, nucklehead said:

Who the &^@# is this singer in the pregame?

Hahaha, that's why I haven't watched the Grey Cup in recent years. They drove me off with Hedley.

I'm not gone permanently though, I'll be back if they get rid of the bubblegum. But not until.

17 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Hahaha, that's why I haven't watched the Grey Cup in recent years. They drove me off with Hedley.

I'm not gone permanently though, I'll be back if they get rid of the bubblegum. But not until.

I think the CFL is trying to fill the void of younger fans.  They lost an entire generation or two recently.  Plus, Alf likes Jacob Hogard and Hedley.