The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Religion cannot be proven by worldly sciences

Super19

You and TML keep going on about Atheism is a religion. I'm an Atheist and that's my view on the situation. Somehow to you two my view then equals a religion.

Or are you taking back the (ignorant and plain wrong) blanket statement that Atheism is a religion?

You and TML keep going on about Atheism is a religion. I'm an Atheist and that's my view on the situation. Somehow to you two my view then equals a religion.

Or are you taking back the (ignorant and plain wrong) blanket statement that Atheism is a religion?

What are you talking about? I said atheism is a religion like deism and theism is a religion (thus, it's not a religion). But I did say the similarities between atheist organizations and religious organizations are very high.

I never said atheism is a religion, nor do I hold that belief! But you have to admit there are some pretty strong similarities between the two organizations.

What are you talking about? I said atheism is a religion like deism and theism is a religion (thus, it's not a religion). But I did say the similarities between atheist organizations and religious organizations are very high.

I never said atheism is a religion, nor do I hold that belief! But you have to admit there are some pretty strong similarities between the two organizations.

Actually, no, I nor JR don't have to 'admit' that there are 'some pretty strong similarities' between the Christian religion, for instance, and non-belief.

If Atheism is 'like a religion', then baldness is 'like a hairstyle'...as both are absent of the primary component of their respective and supposed definitions.

I think it seems that way because partially it is but I also never said the discussion is futile...just that we're all idiots for having it. I may not have been a big part of this little thread but I was at least a moderate part of the old behemoth that was the god thread. Circular arguments being made over and over and over again for thousands of pages filled with good discussion, incredible insights incredible ignorance (from all angles) and very little movement. But very little movement means some and that where what you're talking about comes in with your personal story.

The discussion is silly in that nothing will ever get resolved and the reality is there is no "knowing" which is why we're all idiots, (I said we that time so as not to confuse ;)  )  but futile would mean there is no purpose which I don't believe is the case on the whole. Some conversations that go on are...like the one I had last night...but that's bound to happen from time to time.

What defines a religion anyway? Buddhists don't believe in god but are classified as a religion.

Religion Definition:

a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purposeof the universe, especially when considered as the creationof a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involvingdevotional and ritual observances, and often containing amoral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generallyagreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christianreligion; the Buddhist religion.

Well atheist have a common belief considering cause, nature, and purpose of the universe (i.e. Came from nothing, governed by the laws of physics, there is no purpose). No rituals or observances. Common code of conduct - generally humanism or something similar.

Again not saying atheism is a religion...just want to make sure everyone is clear on that :P

I fail to see how the dissimilarities between atheism itself and Christianity itself negate the fact that atheists and atheistic organizations seem to be pretty similar to religious organizations and the people therein.

Is baldness a haristyle? No obviously not (similar to why I said atheism is not a religion above). But is it similar to a haristyle? Sure; both deal with hair, appearances, the head, perhaps even impacting one's outlook - as in "I feel self conscious and anxious about my bald head" or "I think my bald head is awesome."

Many atheistic organizations carry themselves very similarly to how certain religious organizations carry themselves. And often atheists are just about as passionate in their unbelief as the religious are in their beliefs.

So....so what? Atheism is a word - just like say Christianity and Buddhism...none of them are "organizations" but their are organizations of each of those.

No one said atheism is a religion - what was said is, a some atheists and some atheist organizations have the same characteristics of a religion.

So....Christians organize in order to worship, Atheists organize in order to worship non-belief?, Christianity is a religion, therefore Atheism is a religion??

Again, basic logic failure.

Tell me, what similarities leads you to conclude that non-belief of deities looks like a religion, as religion has been defined previously in this thread, as the belief in deities?

Archived