The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

General Hockey Questions

Rate this topic

Two questions:

1. Where have the Stanley Cup Playoffs patches gone? The ones that used to be to the right on the jerseys.

2. How many Canadian teams have been to the playoffs at the same time?

Thanks!

1. the patches are for the stanley cup finals, not the playoffs in general.

2. in 1993 there were 6. only edmonton and ottawa missed. i haven't found a year with more but that's not definitive.

Why are the Montreal Canadiens referred to as the Habs sometimes?

its short for les habitants, an old term for french canadians in quebec.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

a few random questions I was thinking about lately

If a team tries to offer sheet a player. Example - Oilers offer sheet Tanev for 5 mill and Tanev turns the offer down as he wants to stay with Van. Does Van still have to match that price? or if price isn't matched is Tanev forced to join the Oilers than?

Also what if Oilers offer sheet Tanev but Canucks were discussing a trade with for example, Florida for 1st pick in 2014 draft. Could Canucks still trade Tanev to Florida and the offer sheet is left for Florida to match?

and last if a player goes undrafted example - Reinhart doesn't get drafted in 2014. Does he have to wait till next year to get drafted again or could a team than pick him up as a free agent?

*** These are just Examples to explain my questions =) **** Thanks for the help

a few random questions I was thinking about lately

If a team tries to offer sheet a player. Example - Oilers offer sheet Tanev for 5 mill and Tanev turns the offer down as he wants to stay with Van. Does Van still have to match that price? or if price isn't matched is Tanev forced to join the Oilers than?

Also what if Oilers offer sheet Tanev but Canucks were discussing a trade with for example, Florida for 1st pick in 2014 draft. Could Canucks still trade Tanev to Florida and the offer sheet is left for Florida to match?

and last if a player goes undrafted example - Reinhart doesn't get drafted in 2014. Does he have to wait till next year to get drafted again or could a team than pick him up as a free agent?

*** These are just Examples to explain my questions =) **** Thanks for the help

If Tanev turns down the Oilers, then there is nothing to match. Tanev never signed the offer sheet.

I'm not 100% sure on the second one, but I believe that if Tanev is the property of the Canucks at the time he signs an offer sheet then the Canucks only have the choice of matching or letting him go. They cannot trade him once the offer sheet has been signed.

Reinhart would have to go undrafted through a few drafts. If undrafted by the time he is 20, then he becomes a free agent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

RFA Question

Example Johansen with CBJ.

If they can not come to a contract agreement. What happens? Arbitration? and what ever the decision is Johansen is forced to sign? If NHL starts before an agreement is made does he have to sit out in the box until there is a contract?
Has this ever happened before or in most cases is the RFA signed before the season starts?

RFA Question

Example Johansen with CBJ.

If they can not come to a contract agreement. What happens? Arbitration? and what ever the decision is Johansen is forced to sign? If NHL starts before an agreement is made does he have to sit out in the box until there is a contract?

Has this ever happened before or in most cases is the RFA signed before the season starts?

If he doesn't sign with anybody, then he is effectively unemployed. Nobody can force him to sign a contract.

I believe he has until December to sign with someone, otherwise he sits out the entire season.

Often, RFAs do sign before the start of the season, but if they feel they are worth more than what is being offered they are under no obligation to sign the deal. A recent example is Drew Doughty from a couple of years back. I think he missed all of training camp and the pre-season, but started in time for the regular season.

Another example is Ryan O'Reilly. He couldn't come to terms with the Avalanche. The season was a month old before he signed an offer sheet with the Flames, which the Avalanche then matched.

There are loads of other examples, I just can't think of any off the top of my head right now.

Do the canucks owe 3rd rnd draft picks in the next three years to Dallas and Boston?

As far as I know, no picks were exchanged in consideration of signing either guy.

Edited by goalie13

My understanding of your answer is that the Canucks didn't offer any picks for hiring the GM and coach they did, but aren't those teams awarded a third round compensatory pick for losing someone from their organization? As I see it, barring trade, the canucks have no third round picks til 2018? Anaheim Boston? Dallas?

This new ruling hasn't started yet. I think it is expected to start in the Next Offseason. So we should be safe from that.

From the article
The Senators received a conditional draft pick as a result of that fracas and no club has been compensated similarly since. That can be expected to change, maybe beginning as soon as next offseason.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/361381-report-nhl-to-reintroduce-draft-pick-compensation-for-front-office-coaching-hires/

Edited by Whale Tail

If a ECL player plays the 1st 9 games of the season and gets sent down. Is one year of his contract used up or does he still have 3year left? Also does the club have to pay him once sent down?

ECL? I'm thinking you mean ELC or Entry Level Contract.

Basically, he gets paid for the nine games and then his contract slides to the next year.

If a player aged 18 or 19 signs an entry-level contract with a club (with his age calculated on Sept. 15 of the year he signed the contract) but does not play in at least 10 NHL games — regular season or playoffs — the contract will "slide" or be extended one year. The extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between Sept. 16 and Dec. 31 in the year he signed the contract.

Depending on the contract's structure, the player's cap hit can be affected either by an increase or a decrease. Players who sign at age 18 can have their contract extended (or "slide") two seasons.

CBA reference: Section 9.1 (d) (P. 23-24)