The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If at the trade deadline edler still hasnt re-signed, do you trade him?

billabong

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You're comparing the effect of moving an all-star 40+ point d-man for prospects/picks to moving a rookie prospect for a rookie prospect? Really?

Cody was getting moved regardless. I didn't mind seeing Cody moved as bringing in Pahlsson turned the third line back into a checking line capable of playing shutdown. This in turn frees up the second line from shutdown duty to play a more offensive role. A formula that was extremely successful the previous season prior to Mahotra's freak eye injury. I didn't see it as weakening the team.

Let me know when you're finished crying about Cody.

Edit: Btw, my sig is based on the incessant whining here about CBC, Bettman, critical Canuck articles, and analyst opinions. The slightest thing, even when true, brings the crybabies out in droves. I added Cody to the existing sig after the trade was made.

He wouldn't understand the significance of Pahlsson scoring 6 points in 19 games and being +4 while in a shut down role - the fact that he, Higgins and Hansen weren't only shutting down other team's top lines, but were carrying the play and outscoring them is a point that would be lost.

On the other hand, the fact Hodgson had a mere 8 points in 20 games and was -7 after the trade probably also bounces right off his hard head. Got his big minutes, could scarcely score more than the shut down guy who was acquired for 4th round pick, and got scored on frequently - in fact looked downright horrible and inept in his own end of the ice. Something the Canucks couldn't afford, particularly after his scoring cooled off so vapidly.

If King could actually perceive what is happening before his eyes, he's have seen that the Canucks third line was their best line at the end of the season - Daniel was injured, Kesler and the second line was also hobbling, but the third line was carrying the play against the best lines in the NHL. King though, oblivious. Complains about Pahlsson's play. Wants to move Higgins. Dumb stuff.

If the top two lines were performing normally, that trade would have paid off in spades.

But don't count on him stopping his whining about Hodgson. It's what noobs do - buy the hype and then whine and whine.

I'm the one that buys the hype, yet you're the one that rattles off GM Mike Gillis' explanations practically verbatim out of the fact that you really can't think for yourself.

Only a completely biased homer would defend the Sami Pahlsson acquisition, which was a total failure. We got rolled by the 8th seed, so, tell me, who exactly was Pahlsson "shutting down"? In fact, who was he "shutting down" in 3 years of basement-dwelling in Columbus? Right, nobody. -9, -13, -6 in those 3 years, BTW. As I said before, he hadn't been relevant in 5 years. A 35 year-old with one foot into retirement stepping into a situation like ours was a recipe for disaster, and it played out exactly as I thought it would.

Manny Malhotra has been a minus player for much of his career as well, so he's also not a good shutdown player? It's hard to have good +/- when you start most of your shifts in the defensive zone and play against the other team's top lines. Getting a plus would require time spent in the other team's end, unless you are very good at scoring from your own side of center.

Does that make it any better/acceptable? No.

Obviously not exclusively, but he was a part of that team, was he not? Kinda like how "shutdown" Jason Garrison wasn't shutting anybody down on Florida from 2009 - 2011, given their results, Sami Pahlsson was not "shutting down" anybody as a member of one of the league's worst teams from 2009 - 2012.

In fact, Sami Pahlsson's been a minus player for 11/12 of his years in the NHL. And the one "positive" year ('02-'03), he played a total of 34 games only. This is a candidate for a shutdown role? An obvious mistake to acquire him, which I knew when it happened, and what followed confirmed it. He added nothing to our team.

Does that make it any better/acceptable? No.

Obviously not exclusively, but he was a part of that team, was he not? Kinda like how "shutdown" Jason Garrison wasn't shutting anybody down on Florida from 2009 - 2011, given their results, Sami Pahlsson was not "shutting down" anybody as a member of one of the league's worst teams from 2009 - 2012.

In fact, Sami Pahlsson's been a minus player for 11/12 of his years in the NHL. And the one "positive" year ('02-'03), he played a total of 34 games only. This is a candidate for a shutdown role? An obvious mistake to acquire him, which I knew when it happened, and what followed confirmed it. He added nothing to our team.

Noob-think King. You clearly don't understand the shutdown role.

You also don't get the significance of being a mere -6 as a shutdown guy playing against the other team's top lines and pairings, while his best team-mates were in the -20 range (guys like Nash, Brassard, Tyutin, Vermette) - and shutting down nobody.

Archived