The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

Good story, but man, saying this around here might get you banned

Remember a few years ago when CDC was in love with Muse and pretty much the whole forum was at their Vancouver concerts? haha. I dunno, never been a big fan myself, they just seem soo  pompous, which is probably why I dislike Mars Volta as well

I don't mind the odd song of theirs (especially a few off of Black Holes & Revelations). But yeah, they were somewhat pompous to begin with, and it just gets worse and worse every album.

The new album I can't stand...except, I'm not gonna lie, that Madness song is some catchy s***! The rest is just...well, s***.

I buy about 500 CD's and LP's a year and the very best one that I have acquired this whole year is from Vancouver's own Ford Pier and his mighty Vengeance trio called "Huzzah". As hard rocking and literate a rock album as you will ever hear it is simply brilliant and what's more you can go to Red Cat records (IMHO the best record/CD store in B.C.) and buy a copy off the man himself since, like all great musicians, he needs a day job to stay alive. Catch them live too; these guys can PLAY!

Ducktails (solo project of the guitarist from Real Estate) has a new album out, and i think it's just great. I'm a total sucker for Real Estate's work, and this is different but the same. Has all the same reverb/delay/effects on the guitar, and has that 'real estate feel' but the scope seems very narrow. Not really much band jamming so much as it's guitar work, like comparing Lotus Plaza to Deerhunter

anyway, i think it's great. if you're a fan of Real Estate, definitely check it out. the previous Ducktails record, III: Arcade Dynamics, is also good.

I'm really loving Fidlars debut reminds me of The Black Lips. I really think the new Foxygen album is awesome as well

Maybe it is just me but does the chrous not sound a little like Suspicious Minds?

Do anyone here watch The Needle Drop? I don't always agree with his opinion but he is one of the best at reviewing music.

Do anyone here watch The Needle Drop? I don't always agree with his opinion but he is one of the best at reviewing music.

I watch almost all of his reviews, and I think his opinions are sometimes completely inaccurate, or often just super confusing. But! his opinions are presented with such humour and charm that I continue viewing them anyway. He's very modest about his opinions, and I like that.

One example is his "5/10" review of The Walkmen's Lisbon, which I found very odd. He constantly reiterates that he's been a fan of the band's past work, but says that Lisbon features The Walkmen at their most "punk rock"? I dunno, their debut album is loaded with some straight up punk jams, and when he criticizes things like "band interplay" it just seems kinda vague. To be honest, I kind of doubt he's even listened to their early work, because his comments about the band just seem odd. Maybe he listened long ago? Who knows.

And his criticism of Grizzly Bear, and high, high, high praise of gnarly metal and drone music and internet 4chan favs Death Grips (the only 10 he's ever given?) just seem silly. I don't care if his opinions differ from mine, but his justification for those opinions just seems confusing at times.

That said, I think he's given some really great reviews and commentary about other things, and I think he's a cool guy.

That Coachella line-up is unreal.

Grinderman AND Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds? So awesome.

I can't go, but if I could, I'd be all over that, and these:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Grizzly Bear

Vampire Weekend (seen, fantastic live)

Hot Chip

Tame Impala

The Faint

Yeasayer

Franz Ferdinand (seen, killed it)

Bat For Lashes

The xx

Divine Fits

Spiritualized (seen ages ago, remember it being unique)

Dropkick Murphys

Passion Pit

Janelle Monae

The Evens

La Roux (love their underappreciated album)

Father John Misty

Smith Westerns

Metric

DIIV

Of Monsters and Men (their style should make for a great show)

so... Black Flag reunited.

Without Henry Rollins, of course. But Vancouver's Ron Reyes (the dude who was the vocalist briefly before Rollins) is the singer again.

Wonder if they'll come around the west coast? Absolute legends.

Black Flag without Henry Rollins is like Dead Kennedys without Jello Biafra....it's not the same...at all.

Reyes was a wuss too. He quit the band in 1980 in the MIDDLE of a performance because of escalating violence. Greg Ginn and the rest of the band started calling him "Chavo Pederast" the rest of that show because he quit on them. It's too bad Dez Cadena can't sing anymore...he was the guy who was their singer immediately before Rollins...I'd rather hear him than Reyes.

And Reyes isn't from Canada, he's from California.

Black Flag without Henry Rollins is like Dead Kennedys without Jello Biafra....it's not the same...at all.

Reyes was a wuss too. He quit the band in 1980 in the MIDDLE of a performance because of escalating violence. Greg Ginn and the rest of the band started calling him "Chavo Pederast" the rest of that show because he quit on them. It's too bad Dez Cadena can't sing anymore...he was the guy who was their singer immediately before Rollins...I'd rather hear him than Reyes.

And Reyes isn't from Canada, he's from California.

Dez can't sing anymore? Could he ever? He was my fave BF vocalist by a slim margin over Hank; if anything even more depraved and intense. Who is in this reunited lineup?

Greg Ginn is, and always will be the only member of Black Flag that truly matters. Rollins was just the face of the group

Reyes is FROM California, but he's lived in Vancouver for about 30 years

Reyes moved to Vancouver with a woman he met while BF was on the road touring. He went back to Vancouver with her after he bailed on the band mid-performance in 1980 in Redondo. Dude had a horrible drinking problem and was paranoid his girlfriend was going to get hurt so he quit mid-performance leaving Ginn, Dukowski and Robo without a singer for the rest of that gig. That was a pretty dick move, in my opinion. Henry Rollins is the reason most people even know who Black Flag is so anyone suggesting this tour will be anywhere near as successful as it could be with Rollins is fooling themselves. Agreed that Ginn is indeed the heart and soul of Black Flag but you ask 10 random music fans who Greg Ginn is and then ask the same 10 who Henry Rollins is and it's not even close. Dukowski was a very vital piece as well, because he acted as spokesman when the band was just getting off the ground and was fronted by Keith Morris, later of Circle Jerks.

Archived