The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music of 2013

coleman26

i can't think of a single RnB album i'd give more than 4/10, except The Weeknd

easily my least favourite popular genre

You wouldn't give more than 4/10 to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill? The Love Below? The aforementioned Voodoo?

Like I said, I'm not a big fan of most R&B, but that seems a little extreme. I do like some of the old-fashioned stuff. Have enjoyed everything Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings have released.

I wasn't sure when or if this day would come, but it finally has. I have absolutely no interest in new music anymore. The last new album I was actually excited about was the Sleigh Bells debut album. Since then, I just couldn't care less. At 30, I finally turned into my dad, and I have no positive or negative feelings about that. Only music that I grew up with does it for me now. Very much in the, "these kids with their music today" stage of my life.

Still love movies though.

I wasn't sure when or if this day would come, but it finally has. I have absolutely no interest in new music anymore. The last new album I was actually excited about was the Sleigh Bells debut album. Since then, I just couldn't care less. At 30, I finally turned into my dad, and I have no positive or negative feelings about that. Only music that I grew up with does it for me now. Very much in the, "these kids with their music today" stage of my life.

Get out of here, old man!

:P

I'm 34, and on the other end of the spectrum. I look forward to new music, but am starting to care less and less about movies.

I think part of it is having my first child. Who has 90 minutes+ to be fully engrossed in a movie? But I listen to music all the time - even as I type this. Movies seem to steal time, whereas music can often accentuate whatever else you need to do.

Get out of here, old man!

:P

I'm 34, and on the other end of the spectrum. I look forward to new music, but am starting to care less and less about movies.

I think part of it is having my first child. Who has 90 minutes+ to be fully engrossed in a movie? But I listen to music all the time - even as I type this. Movies seem to steal time, whereas music can often accentuate whatever else you need to do.

Music still does it for me, just not new music. Can't get excited about it.As for movies, I enjoy that time more, but I also rarely get through a movie in one sitting. I usually fall asleep halfway through, regardless of how good it may be.

You wouldn't give more than 4/10 to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill? The Love Below? The aforementioned Voodoo?

Like I said, I'm not a big fan of most R&B, but that seems a little extreme. I do like some of the old-fashioned stuff. Have enjoyed everything Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings have released.

Well, I mean... I obviously would "objectively" rate Lauryn Hill's album higher, because I understand how important it was, its context, popularity, etc. And I for sure recognize Hill's (former?) talent... but I can't say I've voluntarily listened to more than two or three of her songs in as long as my memory serves. So how could I rate it high on personal preference, if I haven't even gone out of my way to listen to her music in a decade?

I guess my rating would be purely based on personal preference, which admittedly is a pretty poor way to look at stuff.

but yeah, point taken: 4/10 is pretty extreme. I've just never been big on the genre, minus the super old school stuff from way back when.

Just curious, what kind of music do you turn to then? Or, what did you 'grow up with'?

funny, just been listening to vamp weekend for the first time in ages this weekend. really enjoyed both their albums, which is new for me, as i never was fussy about their second. excited to hear this.

Random fact I remember reading awhile back: both of VW's albums were intentionally released in January on the theory that they could cash in on people's 'winter blues', since their music is so reminiscent of hot climates.

Anyways, since it was mentioned up-thread and I'm really excited for it, NPR recently had a sneak preview of the second Rogue's Gallery compilation of sea chanties. The featured track is a duet between Tom Waits and Keith Richards!

http://www.npr.org/b...-villagers-more

i've always wondered if there's a 'release schedule' for music that the industry generally goes by

like, you know how there's the unwritten law that if a movie has intellectual depth and an artsy presentation it's usually released between Oct - Jan to fit the award circuit, and the mindless summer garbage is released in the summer?

is there an equivalent for music, do you think? i've been trying to notice consistences for 'album of the year' type releases, stuff with mega hype, and i can't really notice anything

Just curious, what kind of music do you turn to then? Or, what did you 'grow up with'?

Well, it depends really. I have over 9000 songs on my ipod, obviously don't listen to them all. It's cliche, I know, but the bands I go back to the most are The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Queen, The Kinks, and Elvis. Mixed in with that would be AC/DC, Beastie Boys, Beck, Daft Punk, The Flaming Lips, Radiohead, and Blur. Of the "current" bands since 2000, the only bands I can think of that I listen to on a regular basis would be The White Stripes (yes tail end of the 90s), Panda Bear, The Shins, and Graham Coxon.EDIT: Forgot Tom Waits.

Well, it depends really. I have over 9000 songs on my ipod, obviously don't listen to them all. It's cliche, I know, but the bands I go back to the most are The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Queen, The Kinks, and Elvis. Mixed in with that would be AC/DC, Beastie Boys, Beck, Daft Punk, The Flaming Lips, Radiohead, and Blur. Of the "current" bands since 2000, the only bands I can think of that I listen to on a regular basis would be The White Stripes (yes tail end of the 90s), Panda Bear, The Shins, and Graham Coxon.

Look at this guy! "Randomly" name-dropping Panda among a list of top-20 bands!

Quit trying to suck up to glassjaw, Monty.

i've always wondered if there's a 'release schedule' for music that the industry generally goes by

like, you know how there's the unwritten law that if a movie has intellectual depth and an artsy presentation it's usually released between Oct - Jan to fit the award circuit, and the mindless summer garbage is released in the summer?

is there an equivalent for music, do you think? i've been trying to notice consistences for 'album of the year' type releases, stuff with mega hype, and i can't really notice anything

I could see Vampire Weekend trying that, since so much of their music totally makes me think of going on vacation.

One of the best pure Summer albums of the last few years was Cut Copy's Zonoscope, and it was released in the dead of January. Then again, Cut Copy is Australian, and January is their summer, so I guess it made sense.

my brother said labels try to get bands to release albums in like march so that they'll be at their peak of popularity for "festival season"

my friend works in a record store and he told me that bands used to release albums to coincide with christmas, but now that less people buy music and festivals got so big, that isn't the case any more.

Well, it depends really. I have over 9000 songs on my ipod, obviously don't listen to them all. It's cliche, I know, but the bands I go back to the most are The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Queen, The Kinks, and Elvis. Mixed in with that would be AC/DC, Beastie Boys, Beck, Daft Punk, The Flaming Lips, Radiohead, and Blur. Of the "current" bands since 2000, the only bands I can think of that I listen to on a regular basis would be The White Stripes (yes tail end of the 90s), Panda Bear, The Shins, and Graham Coxon.EDIT: Forgot Tom Waits.

On second look, maybe your post isn't so...Wait a minute!

For a classic-rock-listening old fart, you're quite the name-dropping ninja.

Archived