The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

As for tonight, I watched Re-Animator: 7/10. Some really funny/abusrd/ridiculous bits, and a pretty good plot - minus the whole mind control aspect, was that ever even explained? haha 

Re-Animator is so amazing. And no, it was never explained.

---------------------------

Jupiter Ascending - Oh brother/10

Awful.

The End of the Tour: 8/10

I find Eisenberg so off-putting, so the 8/10 score is a testament to the strength of the film. I say film, it is more like an audio book, and I mean that as a compliment. The conversations are what Aaron Sorkin strives for but quite often misses. The rich back-and-forth, but minus Sorkin's pretentiousness that sometimes seeps through. A lot of the conversations really resonated with me, and I think I will pick up David Lipsky's book 'Although of Course You End Up becoming Yourself'. 

Youth: 6.5/10

This is one that I think a lot of people would hate. It had a mixed standing ovation AND boos at Cannes, lol? I thought the trailer made is seem like a linear, sorta old person's Lost in Translation - but nope. It's a purebred Italian arthouse movie, very similar to the stuff made by Federico Fellini. the basic plot is often totally interrupted by stuff totally beautiful (yet emotionally vacant) scenes of... stuff. Things loosely related to secondary characters. Visually it's a beautiful movie, and there's some really great music in it (Sun Kil Moon performs throughout; and in fact, SKM's song "Birds of Flims" is ABOUT being on the set of this movie) - but I didn't think it had any heart. Technically great, but no soul.

Michael Caine, Harvey Keitel (sp?), and Paul Dano are all great in it, though.

I think it conveyed the sense of morbidness it was supposed to. I was okay with it until the military swept by seconds later. It just felt so out place, and felt like it was meant to compound the shock value.

I don't shy away from morbidness, else I wouldn't be watching the movie in the first place. I just prefer a proper progression to things (even in horror films which tend to thrive on shock value in different ways.) I liked they nailed the build to the loss of control within the supermarket, which is why I like watching the movie.

It didn't ruin the movie, or it wouldn't be one of the first reccomendations that comes to mind when people are looking for somthing a little haunting or scary. But the ending still makes me shake my head.

End of the Tour - 8.5/10 - had a slow charm to it.

Started out something average about someone above average, but won me over on its own merits. Sudeikis was phenomenal as DFW, from the speech to the body language- obsessively observant, overly empathic, painfully self-aware. Larger than life.

Eisenberg was Eisenberg. Never quite been a fan and it seems like I've seen him way too often the past few years, but on the other hand I don't know anything about the real life person he's playing here, so I'll just say he felt .. acceptable in the role.

Like any decent roadtrip, it had its boring moments and its awkward friction, but walking out into a freezing open expanse at dawn with two black labs at heel, you don't want it to end.

Edited by The Bookie

End of the Tour - 8.5/10 - had a slow charm to it.

Started out something average about someone above average, but won me over on its own merits. Sudeikis was phenomenal as DFW, from the speech to the body language- obsessively observant, overly empathic, painfully self-aware. Larger than life.

Eisenberg was Eisenberg. Never quite been a fan and it seems like I've seen him way too often the past few years, but on the other hand I don't know anything about the real life person he's playing here, so I'll just say he felt .. acceptable in the role.

Like any decent roadtrip, it had its boring moments and its awkward friction, but walking out into a freezing open expanse at dawn with two black labs at heel, you don't want it to end.

I liked DFW's line about being unsure of whether he liked David Lipsky or not because he was spending too much of his focus on whether David Lipsky liked him. Were a lot of little insightful, self-aware moments like that. I just bought David Lipsky's book "Although of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself". Look forward to getting greater detail.

Isn't the whole point of acting to be more than a one trick pony?

i dunno, maybe. probably depends on like 'artistic ambition' or whatever. jackie chan wanted to do drama, but who wants to see jackie chan do drama? and you don't see woody taking his own serious roles. sometimes when you have a thing, it just works. eisenberg has a thing.. and i guess it doesn't work haha