The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

40 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It was a solid 7.5 for me until the last half-hour. But I've never seen a decent movie with a worse denouement - just TERRIBLE.

Aside from Nolan going the 10 part miniseries route, what absolutely ruined the film's momentum was the last half-hour or so. Really veered off course.

15 hours ago, Apples said:

Spectre 7/10 - Daniel Craig is boring 

46 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Ugh - tried watching this the other day, but we shut if off after 20-25 minutes.

Even the "good" Bond movies are getting tiresome. The weaker ones are downright unwatchable.

Bond films are all the same. Just horrible.

Unless it's Roger Moore playing Bond, I have no interest in them. However, the wife loves them, so I get dragged to every one. Spectre was nonsense, even for a Bond film.

56 minutes ago, Svengali said:

Also what do you (and everyone else) think of Prometheus? I might watch it at some point this week.

I really enjoyed Prometheus, each time I've seen it.

Now, I had the pleasure of actually watching this first, followed by the Alien films. How I went 33 years without watching the Alien films, I don't know. I know a few people who were really let down by it because they had heightened expectations; hoping it was going to be somewhat similar to the rest of the Aliens franchise. So yeah, I thought it was really good.

I also think NOT ROONEY MARA is severely underrated as an actress. Really stole the show in it.

Edited by Monty

6 minutes ago, Monty said:

I really enjoyed Prometheus, each time I've seen it.

Now, I had the pleasure of actually watching this first, followed by the Alien films. How I went 33 years without watching the Alien films, I don't know. I know a few people who were really let down by it because they had heightened expectations; hoping it was going to be somewhat similar to the rest of the Aliens franchise. So yeah, I thought it was really good.

I also think Rooney Mara is severely underrated as an actress. Really stole the show in it.

That's quite the impression she has on you considering she wasn't in the film   :P

It is Noomi Rapace - the original Girl With the Dragon Tattoo :) 
And yes, she was excellent in it.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

That's quite the impression she has on you considering she wasn't in the film   :P

It is Noomi Rapace - the original Girl With the Dragon Tattoo :) 
And yes, she was excellent in it.

Frick. That's who I meant.

1 hour ago, Svengali said:

What did your "rating score" end up being?
Also what do you (and everyone else) think of Prometheus? I might watch it at some point this week.

Prometheus was "alright", but doesn't make a lick of sense by the end.

Here's my "review" of Interstellar:

On ‎2015‎-‎10‎-‎19 at 1:47 AM, D-Money said:

Interstellar - 4/10

This movie was pretty good, for a while. Then around the 2:20 mark, it completely goes off the rails, possibly more than any movie I've ever seen.

Edited by D-Money

^ 4/10 haha, fair enough. Prometheus doesn't make a lick of sense by the end? So Nolan wrote it?.

I also see from googling just now that Ridley Scott is making a Prometheus 2.
And Monty that is crazy that you hadn't seen the Alien movies. I take it you don't have cable since one can actually watch those movies non-stop on Space/AMC/Whatever until the end of time.

(just gonna throw in that I'm not too crazy about Scott doing a Blade Runner sequel as well, but there's nothing I can do about it) .

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2015 at 2:47 AM, D-Money said:

Interstellar - 4/10

This movie was pretty good, for a while. Then around the 2:20 mark, it completely goes off the rails, possibly more than any movie I've ever seen.

When movies get into the 2 and a half hour mark and still don't manage to get the point across, there's a problem.

6 minutes ago, Svengali said:

^ 4/10 haha, fair enough. Prometheus doesn't make a lick of sense by the end? So Nolan wrote it?.

I also see from googling just now that Ridley Scott is making a Prometheus 2.
And Monty that is crazy that you hadn't seen the Alien movies. I take it you don't have cable since one can actually watch those movies non-stop on Space/AMC/Whatever until the end of time.

(just gonna throw in that I'm not too crazy about Scott doing a Blade Runner sequel as well, but there's nothing I can do about it) .

There's a few reasons for that. One, I grew up with "Farmer Vision", so I didn't get the opportunity to watch horror films growing up. Also, while my parents didn't mind us watching "R" rated films growing up, they also restricted what kind of "R" rated films they would allow us to watch. My grandfather fought in WWII, so my mother thought it was important for us to watch well made war films. Really, any "R" rated films that were relatable to real life, they had absolutely no issue with. But when it came to horror films, or any violent film that didn't have a "message", then they would restrict as much as possible.

By the time I got to university, because I wasn't into sci-fi/horror films (due to not watching them), I went full on artsy films; because, you know, that's what snobby university students do. It wasn't until much, much later that I started getting into bloodier films.

But yeah, it is crazy. The first two "horror/bloody" films I watched were Evil Dead 2 and 28 Days Later (right when 28 Days Later came out).

19 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

speaking of getting recommendations, does anybody have any recs for movies... about making movies?

doesn't matter if they are mediocre (2012's Hitchcock), or great (Coen Bros' Barton Fink). I guess other examples would be Ed Wood, Shadows of the Vampire, and even Hugo to some extent.  I haven't seen Trumbo, but I think it's about something similar.

I know this is not a particularly popular genre of movies - but sometimes I enjoy them, even when they aren't great.

Not a film per se but HBO's Project Greenlight was very enjoyable

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Monty said:

There's a few reasons for that. One, I grew up with "Farmer Vision", so I didn't get the opportunity to watch horror films growing up. Also, while my parents didn't mind us watching "R" rated films growing up, they also restricted what kind of "R" rated films they would allow us to watch. My grandfather fought in WWII, so my mother thought it was important for us to watch well made war films. Really, any "R" rated films that were relatable to real life, they had absolutely no issue with. But when it came to horror films, or any violent film that didn't have a "message", then they would restrict as much as possible.

By the time I got to university, because I wasn't into sci-fi/horror films (due to not watching them), I went full on artsy films; because, you know, that's what snobby university students do. It wasn't until much, much later that I started getting into bloodier films.

Ah, that makes sense. Do you remember all the well made war films you watched?

I'm an immigrant from Not-Rooney-Mara's country and my parents let me watch Caligula at age 10 (no joke) ... it's amazing that I'm not wearing a suit made out of skin right now.

thx for the recs homies

i really liked Interstellar, but i had low expectations going in. i should watch it again. i liked the weird end, especially in comparison to something like the f-cking martian 

i didn't like Prometheus, but it had a couple of cool visuals I guess

27 minutes ago, Svengali said:

Ah, that makes sense. Do you remember all the well made war films you watched?

I'm an immigrant from Not-Rooney-Mara's country and my parents let me watch Caligula at age 10 (no joke) ... it's amazing that I'm not wearing a suit made out of skin right now.

I could list them, but it's a lot easier to just say, "Watch the standard films that everyone recommends". Most films I've seen once, and can't watch a second time, just due to the content. However, if you haven't seen Band of Brothers, I recommend that. Probably my favorite one. Not sure why, but that is probably the only war miniseries (or film) that I've watched a number of times.

There are some I won't watch on principle alone. One that sticks out first and foremost is Monuments Men. While based on a true story, it really is a horrid idea and worse to make a film about it. One of the most scathing reviews I remember listening to was from an artist who said, something along the lines of, "If you don't think all those artists were turning over in their graves at the thought that a team was put together to save their art, you're gravely mistaken. Each one of those artists would have gladly let their works burn and be forgotten if it meant that even one family were saved instead. Putting resources into saving their art was a complete waste." The fact that they made a movie about it was also incredibly offensive.

I'm gonna throw this out there since we seem to have a bunch of dedicated and varied film fans here (which is awesome): what are some of your favorite 'sleeper' films?  Ones which you think sort of fell under the radar, but enjoyed.  Looking to build a new list and wouldn't mind just checking out some recommendations.  

Just now, SILLY GOOSE said:

I'm gonna throw this out there since we seem to have a bunch of dedicated and varied film fans here (which is awesome): what are some of your favorite 'sleeper' films?  Ones which you think sort of fell under the radar, but enjoyed.  Looking to build a new list and wouldn't mind just checking out some recommendations.  

Good question. I think most guys on here know about sleeper picks out there in the world of cinema.

That said, I wouldn't say these are "under the radar" or "sleepers", but certainly a gems that I think people tend to forget about:

- Shadow of a Doubt: 1943 Hitchcock film

- Suspicion: 1941 Hitchcock film

- The Adventures of Robin Hood: 1938 version with Erol Flynn. This is also in my top 5 favorite films. It's definitely not an unknown, but I know many people haven't seen it today. The cinematography is terrific for a film back then especially the final fight scene at the end.

14 minutes ago, Svengali said:

^^ Yeah I love Band of Brothers as well (but have not seen The Pacific yet).

And I agree with your second paragraph. Have you seen the doc The Rape of Europa? (about all the art the Nazis stole in WWII)

Haven't seen it yet, no. I've read the book, though.

59 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

My two fav. movies of 2015 were sleepers for sure: The End of the Tour, and Lobster.

HBO's 4 part miniseries Olive Kitteridge (2014) was absolutely fantastic, although kinda depressing. It's a straight up drama spanning a woman's life in a small town. Frances McDormand gives a really great performance. Not exactly a sleeper because it was on HBO and won a bunch of Golden Globes/Emmys, but I didn't see many people talking about it.

It Follows (2014/2015?) is another fav of this year (or was it last?). I dunno if this counts as a sleeper, but it's easily one of my favourite 'horror' or thriller movies of the last decade.

If you wanna go way, way, way, way back, then F.W. Murnau's "Sunrise" and Buster Keaton's "Sherlock Jr." and Charlie Chaplin's "City Lights" are probably my 3 favourite early, early movies. I do not know many people who seek that stuff out willfully. I saw the first two because of film studies classes, and I still think about them like 5 years later.

Between then and now, you have a lot of "classics" that a lot of people haven't seen but are widely celebrated by those who have:

Days of Heaven (dir. Terrence Malick)

Aguirre the Wrath of God  (dir. Werner Herzog)

Mean Streets (dir. Martin Scorsese)

BUT, MOST OF ALL, for anyone who is a fan of horror or "weird" movies, I cannot recommend strongly enough FREAKS (1932). Tod Browning (also directed Dracula) created a horror masterpiece with this one, I think. It's not silent, but the audio is a bit weird, some people are a little difficult to understand. But again, for anyone interested in horror, this is an absolute masterpiece of the genre imo

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Almost everyone I talk about movies with in-person has never seen Mud (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935179/?ref_=nv_sr_1), which I thought was fantastic.

The Secret In Their Eyes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1305806/?ref_=nv_sr_1) was pretty awesome. Being a foreign movie, may have gone under the radar for a lot of people (even though it won the Oscar).

Enough Said (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2390361/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1) wasn't mindblowing or anything, just a simple movie that not many people bothered with that was surprisingly good.

Going back a bit farther, The Visitor (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0857191/?ref_=nv_sr_1) was a great little movie.

Edited by D-Money

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

triangle (christopher smith)

time lapse (bradley king)

in the mouth of madness (john carpenter)

prince of darkness (john carpenter)

the sweet hereafter (atom egoyan)

the others (alejandro amenabar)

behind the mask: the rise of leslie vernon (scott glosserman)

the infinite man (hugh sullivan)

the taking of deborah logan (adam robitel)

hidden genda (ken loach)

14 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Almost everyone I talk about movies with in-person has never seen Mud (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1935179/?ref_=nv_sr_1), which I thought was fantastic.

The Secret In Their Eyes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1305806/?ref_=nv_sr_1) was pretty awesome. Being a foreign movie, may have gone under the radar for a lot of people (even though it won the Oscar).

Mud was very good, and I enjoyed the Secret in their Eyes as well.

good recommendations people- keep em coming!  I'm going to try and watch a bunch of these and get back to y'all

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

I liked "Secret in their Eyes" quite a bit. Would give it an 8/10.

Speaking of under the radar, did anyone see the recent remake starring Julia Roberts, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Nicole Kidman? It came out last November and looks like it didn't make much of a dent. The trailer looks alright but the reviews are nothing to get excited about.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1741273/?ref_=nv_sr_6

Edited by nuckin_futz

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I liked "Secret in their Eyes" quite a bit. Would give it an 8/10.

Speaking of under the radar, did anyone see the recent remake starring Julia Roberts, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Nicole Kidman? It came out last November and looks like it didn't make much of a dent. The trailer looks alright but the reviews are nothing to get excited about.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1741273/?ref_=nv_sr_6

Unless you can't read subtitles, there is pretty much zero reason to bother with the remake.

Even a good movie would likely pale in comparison...and based on the reviews, it is far from good.