The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

The Wolverine - 7/10

* Way better than Origins (god I hate that POS movie), a decent, and somewhat-violent (even more so with the unrated version, severed limbs, impalements, 4-5 Fbombs) Wolverine treatment that Origins should have been.

* The action was good, the plot was ok, even if it was just a filler between First Class and Days of Future Past (stay during the credits for an extra lead-in scene).

* Jackman was absolutely shredded for this movie, did some reading; apparently he put on 20ish more LBS of muscle for this Xmen movie than the others because he had ample time to properly train. Also, during his shirtless scenes, he did a 36 hour Dehydration prior to shooting to give off an even more vascular and toned physique. I am a hetero male, but damn he put a lot of time and effort into looking that jacked(man).

Only 2 gripes with the movie

1) How does he remember Nagasaki? Stryker erased his memory in origins (1980's), yet he can recall vivid details from an event in the 1940's.... They never explained this, nor did they even pass it off as memory fragments(which I could have bought), they seemed like whole memories.

2) The sex scene with the grand daughter... Why go into her background with an arranged marriage that ruined her relationship with the love of her life only to have her sleep with Logan within 24 hours of her knowing him. It seemed forced, and didnt fit her character at all.

Crazy. I think he's a damn good actor. What is it you don't like?

I don't think I've ever heard someone say that they don't like/care for Philip Seymour Hoffman. Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love, Capote, Charlie Wilson's War, Doubt; just terrific in all of them. And in the films where he had a lesser role: Boogie Nights, The Big Lebowski, The Talented Mr. Ripley, he was just so good. One thing I love in Hollywood is when average looking to below average looking actors make a name for themselves and continue to get hired (ie: Hoffman, Paul Giamatti), simply because they can act their way out of anything.

Edited by Monty

I don't think I've ever heard someone say that they don't like/care for Philip Seymour Hoffman. Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love, Capote, Charlie Wilson's War, Doubt; just terrific in all of them. And in the films where he had a lesser role: Boogie Nights, The Big Lebowski, The Talented Mr. Ripley, he was just so good. One thing I love in Hollywood is when average to below average actors make a name for themselves and continue to get hired (ie: Hoffman, Paul Giamatti), simply because they can act their way out of anything.

I know, that's why I'm all :blink: Guy's a seriously good actor IMO. I'd go see anything he's in as it's almost guaranteed to be good. He just doesn't do bad movies and always does a great job small or big role.

Edited by J.R.

His first appearance was at that dance and everyone else is in overdone in makeup and fashion and, as always, he just looks like a mess. This was when I realized how the movie was going to end:

without Catnips going topless even ONCE

I don't think I've ever heard someone say that they don't like/care for Philip Seymour Hoffman. Magnolia, Punch Drunk Love, Capote, Charlie Wilson's War, Doubt; just terrific in all of them. And in the films where he had a lesser role: Boogie Nights, The Big Lebowski, The Talented Mr. Ripley, he was just so good. One thing I love in Hollywood is when average looking to below average looking actors make a name for themselves and continue to get hired (ie: Hoffman, Paul Giamatti), simply because they can act their way out of anything.

...Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, Happiness, The Savages, Owning Mahoney, State and Main, The Ides of March, The Master, Moneyball...

He's fantastic in everything.