The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Keep it real and stop wishing

whytelight

MG said he wants something that will help now and help the future.

Which means a roster player and prospect.

About keeping Lu for the season some of us on CDC have been saying that for weeks. It might be better to keep Luongo for a short season where we play 48 games in 99 days. Too much load on CS.

Many of us have posted on the other fourms (trades and rumors) about these trades invloving Luongo and come pretty high valued players. I think we all need to take a look at some facts here and stop the hype. Although I'd love a top 4 D or a top 6 F coming to our team, we need to look at some facts here.

1. MG said he will only trade Luongo if it will help the team. Bozak, Kadri, and the other garbage- names teams have been rumored to offer will not help us. Other teams know the position MG is in and will use that to our disadvantage; MG won't trade Luongo for a band-aid.

2. We currently have the best tandem in the Leauge. CS is unproven and Luongo is an elite, world-class goalie that helped us to game 7 of the SCF. Luongo did not lose game 7, our team did. Would you want to go into the playoffs with CS and Eddie Lack? I don't.

3. Believe it or not, MG might be thinking to himself, "currently, the best thing for the TEAM (not the fans, not the city) is keeping RL and taking a run at the SC with the Leauges best two goalies.

I agree and I disagree with you.

Yes Leaf fans are in a bit of a dream world (so are we, but our dreams are a little more vivid, and our eye's are also shuttering as we are about to wake).

The part I agree about, and which I posted in October (before getting over involved) is they really cannot afford to give up their good young players. It would be best that Toronto really should stay the course. It's not that Lou wouldn't get in the play off's if they traded Kadri, Bozak and a 2knd for Lou; it's how long it would take for them to be contenders. Take for granted that Gardiner is no longer a prospect, Kadri remains no worse than their 2knd best prospect. Plus he is far closer to ready than Rielly their top guy. Add the obvious problem that they are dreadfully short at centre, and how do you project them becoming a contender even if they make the dance??? Kadri and Bozak would not be as disastrous a loss as trading for Kessel, but...

I really see only two ways to swing a deal with Toronto. They do have depth on wing, if they sign Lupul and Kessel. Ashton and Biggs would not seriously compromise their future; both right wingers. The alternate is a bigger hockey deal; perhaps Gardiner for Edler and a trade for Kadri/ MacArthur. MacArthur is a cap dump for them to make it work but a solid rental for us. Add in an expiring contract for them with Connoly and a buyout on Komisarek and then they have the money to re-sign Edler, Lupul and Kessel. We do this to protect against Edler walking, but gain Kadri, our own cap relief and MacArthur helps make us a serious contender this year. But its awfully expensive to give them two all stars for a prospect, MacArthur and Gardiner. Add it up and a deal is unlikely.

Or they do a deal because the believe Kadri is a bust.

Leafs fans in particular is living a dream. They think their team is a cup winning team, they think their team will make the playoffs, and they think they can get Luongo for absolutley nothing. But like I said, they are living a dream, and I don't think Luongo if he does get traded, it will not be to Toronto, as they have too little assets to make a trade like this. They don't have much offensive players, they don't have much prospects, they don't have much of anything!. Well done Burky.

3. Believe it or not, MG might be thinking to himself, "currently, the best thing for the TEAM (not the fans, not the city) is keeping RL and taking a run at the SC with the Leauges best two goalies.

Is that why Roberto showed up in Vancouver with one duffel bag to last the entire year? Surely,MG talks to Roberto about his being dealt.

Since June we have been told by Gilman and Gillis that they were trading Roberto.

Archived