The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

More Southern Logic-Man Can't Use Wifes Name

nucklehead

http://news.yahoo.co...jWb_2rLwbdUTC0V#_=_

Told: "That only works for women".

A newly married South Florida man who opted to take his wife's last name is fighting the state's Department of Motor Vehicles after it suspended his driving license on grounds of fraud.

Real estate investor Lazaro Sopena offered to change his name following his 2011 marriage to Hanh Dinh in order to help his wife's Vietnamese family perpetuate their family surname.

Shortly after their marriage, Lazaro Dinh obtained a new passport and Social Security card and changed his bank account and credit cards before applying to update his drivers license...More than a year later Dinh received a letter from Florida's DMV last December accusing him of "obtaining a driving license by fraud," and advising him that his license would be suspended at the end of the month. Ironically, it was addressed to Lazaro Dinh...

In BC the law is gender neutral unlike the law in Florida when one changes surnames upon marriage:

Reverting To A Maiden Surname Or Previous Married Name

• After marriage, you can choose to continue using your own surname, or you can start using your spouse's surname. Changing to your spouse's surname does not constitute a legal change of name under the Name Act.

• A spouse by marriage may use the surname he or she had immediately before the marriage, the surname he or she had at birth or by adoption, or the surname of his or her spouse by marriage.

• Please note: A Change of Name would be necessary to combine or hyphenate surnames.

• Individuals who decide to revert to their original surname at a later date do not need to apply for a Change of Name.

• In the case of divorce or a person just wanting to revert to a previous name, they may choose: their married surname; their previous married surname; or, their name at birth.

http://www.vs.gov.bc.ca/name/revert.html

Yup, I didn't know that until I got married myself. It came up in conversation at the notary when we were doing our marriage license.

Interesting point about the hyphenated names though, as mine is hyphenated but has been since before my great-great grandparents (although obviously the law would likely have been a little different then).

Archived