The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to slot in Vandermeer RIGHT NOW!

PrimeMinisterBure

So been reading on both sides of the arguement. Just wondering, if we do have Vandermeer in the lineup, is it a big enough deterrent?

I mean opposing players are still going to finish their hits on the Sedins or get in a scrum after the whistle. IT is not a deterrent if you choose not to fight.

The Sedins have to be better adapted to this. In all their time in the NHL, they should know what opponents do to try to get them off their game. They can't get frustrated. They have to bring an element to their game where they can work around it.

This thread was an entertaining read for 4 threads, then tiring afterwards.

Look, Vandermeer is not the answer. As has been stated much earlier, the Canucks have two great options to play with the Sedin's. Once in the playoffs, they will most likely play Burrows with them; however, if the game/series is chippy and more aggressive, then AV will simply play Kassian with them, who can also contribute offensively.

However, if the trade deadline approaches and Gillis wants to have his bases covered, thinking that perhaps Volpatti and Kassian aren't quite enough, then I have the perfect answer for them. Chris Thorburn. In Winnipeg, we love the guy, and he's cheap. However, the Jets do not look like they will will make the playoffs this year, and can probably get a 2nd or 3rd round pick in return for him (6'3", 230 pounds). Perfect player for the Canucks to add as insurance on the 4th line.

I see a use for the goon, but I'm extremely capitalist:

prime example: Duncan Kieth injures Sedin? A "useless" player like Vandermeer injures Kieth equally. Same attack. Plain and simple.

These goons are a dime a dozen. Every time one gets suspended, find a new one. Cannon fodder.

example 2: a goon injures a Sedin? Have our goon injure their star player.

Sick of the NHL. They don't care about star players. They care about ratings, which come from dirty hits.

Wow, this is the third time that you've used the the term "tard" or "retard" that I've seen in this thread alone. You're quite the hero for trying to insult someone by using words that are terms used for the mentally handicapped who have no control over their disability........Do you make fun of the pyhsically handicapped too? Somebody should slap the stupid out of you....but then you'd still be ignorant.

That's funny because if you look at our playoff run in 94' in the Finals Odjick didn't even play. Yes we had Hunter and Antoski on limited minutes, but that was it.

We lost to Boston because:

1) We couldn't score on the road.

2) We couldn't defend on the road.

3) The team didn't show up in game 7.

The Canucks were more beat up in the Finals against Boston, and we lost key players.

If we had a 100% healthy team we might have had a chance.

I find it humorous that people seem to think the reason we lost to Boston was because we werent tough enough. Its completely fabricated, and unfounded. In fact the Sharks played us way tougher than Boston did, and we all know what we did to them.

Thomas played out of his mind. We couldnt buy a goal, PP or otherwise. We averaged 34 shots a game. We just simply couldnt match up with a team that was extremely deep, and our injuries plagued us in a huge way. Thats it.

That's how Brian Burke builds his teams, this team with the exception of McLaren is pretty much BB's team, so you're saying they Leafs weren't tough before but are tough now just because of McLaren? Toronto was in the playoffs last year too until they crap the bed so don't get ahead of yourself yet. Look at the players Burke acquired

C.Orr

M.Brown

Both useless plugs

lol I'm not gonna lie, I laughed about the "WAKE UP, GILLIS, YOU MORON" part that was bolded.

As for the rest of your thread, having Vandermeer in a couple games isn't gonna make a tiny bit of difference. Perhaps save your thread for when we go on a losing streak, because right now quite frankly we've won 6 straight. *knocks on wood*

You have absolutely no idea how hockey works. You really think that a player has to literally be beside another at all times to provide protection for another..? So, if a line on which a player that just threw a nasty hit on a Sedin just iced the puck, AV can't throw out the fourth line to pay that player back for his action??? I'm totally mistaken on my entire knowledge of hockey in this case. Thank you for your informative post. Now please return to playing with your mobile and abacus.

Orr = Volpatti in terms of hockey ability, but Orr hits and fights a lot BETTER. Brown = Wesie, except Brown fights better. I bet you at the end of the year, Orr + Brown will have as many points as Wesie + Volpatti. The silly thinking of our 4th line guys are better "hockey players" than other teams "tough" 4th line is very naive. Can you imagine what Orr would do to the Boston skills guys if Marchant rabbit punch Phil Kessels? I bet you Orr will probably make Lucic wanted to hide behind the ref again.

I was the guy who brought up Semenko.... Thanks for paying attention..

As far as the series with Boston goes do you remember Horton fighting Weise? A top 6 forward beating up our 4th liner? Do you remember what that little rat Marchand did to Salo and Sedin?

Having toughness isn't limited to having a goon. It also means you need overall toughness. Canucks need players in the top 6 who are big and strong. Guys like Brown, Doan, Chara aren't goons but tough as nails. That's what this team is lacking.

Frankly I would rather have a goon on this team over Malhotra. You can play him limited minutes and if someone runs our star players he runs the other teams' stars.

Sadly the Sedin Sedin Burrows experiment has been tried and failed on more than one occasion.

You don't really watch hockey do you? You think everyone that plays on the fourth line is the same except for how good they are at fighting? Orr and Brown are total plugs, Brown had one year where he got 15 points and another couple where he got 13. Orr has never had more than a single digit scoring season ... ever. Volpatti has scored 32 in a season and had double digit scoring 5 other times. Weise has scored 50 points twice in his career and has also scored 43 and 38 point years as well. Regardless of the points two of these players can skate and two can't. I'll let you figure out which is which, but I'm sure you won't. Under .... nope.

Can't wait until the Leafs come falling to the ground like they do every year and your argument can be flushed down the toilet.

Archived