The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don cherrys view on the canucks goaltending situation

yete

I still think luo wants to go home to Florida that's were his house and family are I bet mike is the one stalling out till he gets what he wants I think luo even has the Florida mask all picked out . Can't say I blame mike though you have to get a star player back for luo and I think at some point it will finally happen going to be hard to see him go..personally I would trade shnids to get more back to win now

He's exactly right when it comes to goalies not getting into a groove. Neither goalie can play well when they are contantly sqitched out. I'm on the fence on who we should trade, though. The obvious answer is we should trade one that will give us the best return.

with trading Loungo we only have one option and that is with Florida. Florida isn't going to make a trade to get luongo,

Schneider will have to be the one being moved we have at least 20 options where we can trade schneider. Luo deserved a NTC i don't agree to length of his contract though.

i like both but reality looks to schneider being dealt in the offseason.

like others have posted we do have lack and cannata, at least our farm has decent goalie prospects

Definitely Can fetch more or can easily trade Cory. The risk is Lu is 33 years old how many excellent years is he going to have left. The way the defense plays this teams needs outstanding goaltending to win. Will Eddie lack be able to provide that if Lu's game trails off when he's 36

Nice post G.

I like your line of thought there, but it's almost a guarantee the Canucks would want a proven NHL player coming back. Too much value in Luongo (or Schneider) to bring back nothing but prospects. I think you'd have to add a solid depth player into that deal. I've said for a while GMMG should be looking at a decent 3rd liner, a backup, and some combination of two/three average prospects/picks. Going for quantity over quality raises the chances of coming out somewhat even on what will almost certainly be a 'loss' type of deal.

I guess Shore sort of fits into that, but I'd still look for a bit more. What do you think of adding Santorelli? Admitedly, I have no idea what his status or contract are currently. Vancouver kid, had a decent season a couple years ago and seems to have fallen into disuse. ((I get that Clemenson also fits as a proven guy, but swapping the backup almost seems a given))

As well, I don't know who the Canucks could throw in as contract dumps unless you're thinking AHL players to stay within the limits. I would think Barker might work, though I'd like to at least see him play.

I still don't understand where people get the idea the Canucks could get more for Schneids than for Luongo. Being 'easier to move' doesn't mean a higher return, and Luongo is a world class tender. I do not agree with Cherry or any other media type that there has been a goaltending issue. Those guys just need something to yap about.

honestly if Lack is as good as ppl here say he is.. then the obvious choice is to trade Schneider.. Lack is a couple years younger so when Luongo goes on the decline then he can mentor lack to take over.. i mean lack probably wouldn't want to play here coz he'll be in the same situation as Schneider down the road.. he'll never get to be a starter in vancouver... chances are he probably won't even get enough games to prove anything before we trade him away for probably lower than what we could have gotten if he was given a chance to showcase himself..

being professional about the situation and the way they perform is different.. they can be as professional as they want.. but deep down it's messing with both of their confidence.. Luongo not getting a start in net after a Schneider avg game lost... and Schneider worrying about losing the net if he plays poorly.. we need our goalie to get hot so we can make the playoff.. Minnesota have played significantly better of late.. Colorado once they get their injured bodies back will play better.. if the Canucks continue their hot/cold streak.. it's not completely out of the realm of possibility they miss the playoff.. perhaps that's what they need to wake up the management and get something done and address our needs/concerns

There are really two ways to approach the 'two prime goaltenders' situation:

1. Clear #1 with a #2 ready to go whenever he gets the chance.

2. Two #1s without clearly defined roles.

Boston did well with the first model over the Thomas/Rask era. If you remember, Thomas wasn't even the starter at the beginning of the 10-11 season. Rask was the #1, but when Thomas got his chances he was playing out of his mind and the #1 job eventually became his.

St. Louis did great with the second model last year with Halak/Elliot, it really seemed to revitalize Halak. The system seems to be breaking down a little bit this year though, Elliot has not played well. This is obviously what Vancouver is trying out right now.

I think either of these approaches can work, but it really depends on the psychology of the players involved. I also think it depends a lot more on the defense effort in front of the goalies than most people generally acknowledge.

It's only the fans' voice on the message boards, but the contract seems to be the deal-breaker for any Luongo trade in Florida. With 6 wins in their first 21 games, they may as well use this shortened season to evaluate some of their prospects at the NHL level. They have almost no money committed to their goalies after this season.

You don't just trade someone because they are in demand. If anything players are that are in demand should probably never be traded, since talented youth is the best asset to hold on to.

You do some house cleaning, by removing future burdens and aging players for a decent return.

Never at any cost should an organization trade away its most valuable assets, makes zero sense for the long term future of the franchise.

Archived