The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(GDT) The Who Cares? Edition - Chicago Wolves vs Grand Rapids Griffins - 4/21/13, 2:00PM PST

NuxFan09

Chicago Wolves (37-29-5-4)

vs

Grand Rapids Griffins (41-26-4-4)

Allstate Arena - Chicago, Illinois

April 21, 2013

Western Conference Standings:

1. *Texas Stars | 76 GP | 43-22-5-6 | 97 PTS

2. *Toronto Marlies | 75 GP | 42-23-3-7 | 94 PTS

3. *Grand Rapids Griffins | 75 GP | 41-26-4-4 | 90 PTS

4. Charlotte Checkers | 76 GP | 42-26-4-4 | 92 PTS

5. Houston Aeros | 75 GP | 40-25-5-5 | 90 PTS

6. Oklahoma City Barons | 75 GP | 39-25-2-9 | 89 PTS

7. Rochester Americans | 75 GP | 42-29-3-1 | 88 PTS

8. Milwaukee Admirals | 75 GP | 40-28-4-3 | 87 PTS

9. Rockford IceHogs | 76 GP | 42-31-2-1 | 87 PTS

10. Chicago Wolves | 75 GP | 37-29-5-4 | 83 PTS

11. Lake Erie Monsters | 76 GP | 35-31-3-7 | 80 PTS

12. Abbotsford Heat | 76 GP | 34-32-4-6 | 78 PTS

13. Peoria Rivermen | 75 GP | 33-34-5-3 | 74 PTS

14. San Antonio Rampage | 76 GP | 29-38-2-7 | 67 PTS

15. Hamilton Bulldogs | 75 GP | 29-40-1-5 | 64 PTS

Chicago Wolves scoring leaders:

Darren Haydar - 70 GP, 20 goals, 37 assists, 57 points

Brett Sterling - 47 GP, 24 goals, 21 assists, 45 points

Bill Sweatt - 65 GP, 15 goals, 21 assists, 36 points

Jon Matsumoto - 64 GP, 15 goals, 18 assists, 33 points

Jordan Schroeder - 42 GP, 12 goals, 21 assists, 33 points

Grand Rapids Griffins scoring leaders:

Gustav Nyquist - 58 GP, 23 goals, 37 assists, 60 points

Tomas Tatar - 61 GP, 23 goals, 26 assists, 49 points

Landon Ferraro - 71 GP, 23 goals, 22 assists, 45 points

Francis Pare - 68 GP, 22 goals, 22 assists, 44 points

Jeff Hoggan - 75 GP, 18 goals, 25 assists, 43 points

Projected starting goalies:

Chicago: Joe Cannata (6-5-0, 2.62 GAA, .912 Save%, 0 shutouts)

Grand Rapids: Tom McCollum (17-11-2, 2.69 GAA, .902 Save%, 2 shutouts)

Lineup notes: No lineup changes reported as of now, although my hunch is that the Wolves will dress several Canucks prospects in this mean nothing, last game of the season. Corrado got called up by the Canucks so I would think Polasek or Sauve will draw in for him.

I don't think anything official's been made about Corrado yet - it could just be that he's been notified by the Canucks that they intend to call him up once the Wolves' season is finished today. I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Prediction: Arneil either dresses as many AHLers as he can or finally puts in all the Canucks prospects. :P Either extreme would be a fitting end to the season.

Schroeder is a healthy scratch. Wow. I mean, they could just be protecting him from injury due to his impending call-up, but Sweatt, Jensen, and others are playing... Archibald, Gordon, Vandermeer, Desbiens, Mallet, Andersson the other Canucks scratches. So perhaps Schroeder just is being rested, since Archibald, Gordon, and Vandermeer (all regulars) are scratched as well (and figure to be among the call-ups).

Cannata starts. A bit late for that, though.

Schroeder is a healthy scratch. Wow. I mean, they could just be protecting him from injury due to his impending call-up, but Sweatt, Jensen, and others are playing... Archibald, Gordon, Vandermeer, Desbiens, Mallet, Andersson the other Canucks scratches. So perhaps Schroeder just is being rested, since Archibald, Gordon, and Vandermeer (all regulars) are scratched as well (and figure to be among the call-ups).

Cannata starts. A bit late for that, though.

Griffins get called for slashing and the Wolves will get their 1st of the night.

And right off the bat Jeff Hoggan scores his 2nd of the game shorthanded. The Wolves gave up the puck at the line easily and Hoggan wasted no time rushing in and burying his 20th of the season.

2-0 Griffins.

Not surprised.

The Griffins actually have a system and set lines. The players know how to play with each other.

The Wolves have different players in the lineup every night, and the lines are constantly different. Maybe if Cannata had played a game in the last 3 weeks he could stand on his head better. But lack of playing time is clearly hurting his game.

On a side note, Cannata has not really impressed me this season. He started out great, and he hasn't been bad, per se, he just hasn't been really impressive when given the nod.

That being said, he's had absolutely no opportunity to get in a rhythm. Early in the season when he was actually getting consistent starts he was doing very well. Then when Climie got healthy, Cannata's only appearances in net were pretty much relief efforts whenever Climie was pulled. Those games are generally bad games to begin with so Cannata was kind of always thrown into the fire in those situations.

In any case, we'll get a better read on him if he's the starter for the new farm team next year or at least a backup getting a steady diet of games.

Archived