The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

I need help chosing a protein powder from GNC.. The guy at the store recommeded GNC Mass I.V. or Mutant Mass but i'm not sure if I want just a simple protein shake or an actual weight gainer. I'm a slim hard gainer and I already eat 3-4 healthy meals a day normally so I wouldn't mind having some extra calories..

Here is a link to the stuff:

http://www.gnc.com/G...ductId=12409765

He also mentioned that you want 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, so if I'm 155 and want to get to 170 he recommended 170 grams of protein a day. Does this sound right?

I'm thinking about just getting this Dymatize whey protein shake

http://www.gnc.com/Dymatize-Nutrition-Elite-Gourmet-Protein-Milk-Chocolate/product.jsp?productId=3557101

Edited by RottenCanuck22

Start with the heavier weight first, you'll be able to do more and more reps of it each and every time. Doing it at the end isn't giving it all you have, its giving it all you have LEFT! Hard to progress moving up weights the way you are doing it. However getting buff and at a quick rate? No such thing, just hard work and years of working out.

Some people can make gains with sticking to lower weights, some need higher weights.

So I should start off with my usual 3x8 reps of dumbbells with 25s and then end with the lower weight? Sounds interesting will try it.

did this happen to anyone before?

So usually i bench plate 25 5 times and plate 30 3 times. But yesterday when I went, I could barely lift plate 25 up and found plate 10 to be moderately challenging. I dont think its fatigue because I hadn't bench in like 4 days. Does anyone know why this happens? Is it just a bad lifting day?

I need help chosing a protein powder from GNC.. The guy at the store recommeded GNC Mass I.V. or Mutant Mass but i'm not sure if I want just a simple protein shake or an actual weight gainer. I'm a slim hard gainer and I already eat 3-4 healthy meals a day normally so I wouldn't mind having some extra calories..

He also mentioned that you want 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, so if I'm 155 and want to get to 170 he recommended 170 grams of protein a day. Does this sound right?

http://www.gnc.com/D...oductId=3557101

You don't gain weight because you aren't eating enough. Eating 'healthy' while trying to gain weight for the first time is a fools errand. Get the damn calories in and don't worry to much about putting some excess bodyfat on, it comes off easier than muscle mass goes on.

As for protein powder, Optimum Nutrition 100% whey.

170g of protein/day is about right although if you take the eating portion of trying to gain seriously, you shouldn't need much protein powder per day.

You don't gain weight because you aren't eating enough. Eating 'healthy' while trying to gain weight for the first time is a fools errand. Get the damn calories in and don't worry to much about putting some excess bodyfat on, it comes off easier than muscle mass goes on.

As for protein powder, Optimum Nutrition 100% whey.

170g of protein/day is about right although if you take the eating portion of trying to gain seriously, you shouldn't need much protein powder per day.

Thanks man..

This is the stuff I'll get,

http://m.gnc.com/Optimum-Nutrition-100-Whey-Gold-Standard-Extreme-Milk-Chocolate/product.jsp?productId=3267252

Decent price, good reviews... I'll give it a shot. That is the stuff you meant right? I notice it has added. BCaa and glutamine too

I have a quick little story to tell...

I'm trying to get bigger and i'm some what new to the gym. So i was working out shoulders beside some big guy and I was struggling lifting the weight, so this big guy tells me i'm doing too much weight. He tells me to hop off the machine so he could show me a little trick. He lowers the weight by half and tells me to do short little half reps (and he does 15-20) and THEN he tells me to do full reps. So i do them and now, 45 minutes into my workout i just NOW start feeling a burn.

So does anyone else do this instead of trying to grind out 6-10 reps? I'm so grateful that this guy took time out of his workout to help someone he didn't know and he could have saved me from injuring my shoulder (as your shoulders are the most injury prone part of your body). If you see anyone else at your gym doing a workout wrong, try helping them.

If your goal is pure mass, aiming for around 15 reps is better than 8-10.

http://www.gnc.com/Dymatize-Nutrition-Elite-Gourmet-Protein-Milk-Chocolate/product.jsp?productId=3557101

rule number one is dont but from GNC, they are the most overpriced supplement store ive seen. Use bodybuilding.com. As for weight gainers, they are not healthy and cost a lot per serving. They are usually filled with sugars or a sugar like substance called maltodextrin which is a little trick companies use. maltodextrin is like a sugar but isnt so they dont count it in the nutrition label section for sugar. Making your own gainer is healthier and cheaper. You can easily get anywhere from 600-1000+ calories in a shake consisting of regular house hold items and protein. Examples: whey protein, peanut butter, oats, bananas, and of course milk among many others.
  • Upvote 1

Physiotherapist said my SI joint is in perfect alignment and has full range of motion. Lower back strain/stiffness is from over resting.

For 6 weeks:

No deads. No prob.

No squats. Sucks.

No barbell rows. Brutal. I love them.

Oh well. Seems I'm over the acute phase. Just need to use the area lightly.

If the problem is over rest and your SI joint is in perfect alignment, then his prescription makes zero sense.

Sorry if this is a noob question but I wanted to know how many calories I should be eating a day to lose weight.

I have read some information saying to keep a calorie deficit to lose weight, and other information saying to create a calorie surplus, because a calorie surplus with allow for muscle growth and a higher metabolism.

Any input would be appreciated.

Sorry if this is a noob question but I wanted to know how many calories I should be eating a day to lose weight.

I have read some information saying to keep a calorie deficit to lose weight, and other information saying to create a calorie surplus, because a calorie surplus with allow for muscle growth and a higher metabolism.

Any input would be appreciated.

Depends how often/intense you are exercising

Somebody recommend me a workout routine.

I was doing the Big Man on Campus one by Steve Cook, but I don't want to do that again since it's started to just feel like the same old. Working the same things every week feels like it's just getting easier. I've definitely gained some strength though as I've upped my weights by quite a bit since starting.

I'm just between routines right now while going to the gym. I've just been doing whatever I feel like the past couple weeks.

Mostly looking to lose the little bit of a belly and gain some arm muscle.

I need to refill on protein powder. Do brand names actually matter? Is it alright if I just go to Costco or Superstore and pick up a random brand?

Gold Standard is pretty good.

Depends how much you care about fillers, preservatives, artificial flavours ect ect