The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

If you guys haven't tried good mornings then you really should. Same with really focusing on hamstrings, but the good mornings for sure. They definitely help with the deadlifts. I had never done them before then decided to. Went from about 315 for straight legged deadlifts before to well over that now so you can see gains pretty quick if you're new to good mornings.

Good to hear. It's amazing what gaining 30-40lbs of (mostly) good weight does for how you look.

Will you look how you want? No. Will others (especially the women) think you look much better? Yes.

My recommendation would be to do the Starting Strength (google this and Mark Rippetoe) linear progression while eating lots and drinking a decent amount of milk. You'll be amazed at how quickly you can go from "weak" to "not fracking around" territory.

Milk is king. Can easily drink 6-8 glasses a day, tons of protein and calories quick.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I obviously don't get why it happens. As I mentioned earlier that I had been doing DB lunges and split squats weeks prior with heavy ass weight by my standards and never felt nauseous. Maybe my nutrition/diet was lacking somewhat those days of hack squats.

You hold your breath when straining because it increases intra-abdominal pressure allowing you to push harder. In addition, the increased intra-abdominal pressure helps protect the spine, something I think you'd want to do if you lift anything remotely heavy. As stated before, the valsalva (holding breath while straining) isn't actually dangerous so don't worry about it.

If you guys haven't tried good mornings then you really should. Same with really focusing on hamstrings, but the good mornings for sure. They definitely help with the deadlifts. I had never done them before then decided to. Went from about 315 for straight legged deadlifts before to well over that now so you can see gains pretty quick if you're new to good mornings.

I agree, with two caveats:

1: you need to be able to squat 275 to depth for a set of 5.

2: don't go over 35% of you 5RM squat when doing good mornings.

You hold your breath when straining because it increases intra-abdominal pressure allowing you to push harder. In addition, the increased intra-abdominal pressure helps protect the spine, something I think you'd want to do if you lift anything remotely heavy. As stated before, the valsalva (holding breath while straining) isn't actually dangerous so don't worry about it.

This.

Holding your breath through a heavy lift like a squat is absolutely necessary. Otherwise your whole spine will collapse. You should take a relatively deep breath inwards and then flex your core and hold it as tight as possible through the lift. Letting the air out will result in your spine and chest collapsing inwards. This is particularly important for squats, where the hole weight of the bar remains on your shoulders through the whole lift.

As for the nausea thing, it could be lactic acid buildup. Now that you are lifting heavier, you are getting more lactic acide in your system. Could also be diet. Not consuming enough calories and liquids can lead to dizziness and feeling nauseated.

Another Q for ya'll;

So as I posted I dropped about 30+ lbs, from 198-168ish now, I measured by BF back then and it was a ridiculous number like 27-28%, I'm at about 15-16% now. I still have a gut, a little bit of double chin both things I want to get rid of. I've burned the fat in most of the other areas on my bod so these are the last to go.

My question is, should I continue to cut (restricted diet,lots of cardio) or should I start my bulking?

Reason I ask is, I'm so damn lanky at 6' to give you perspective,

in dumb bells I;

Curl - 25lbs

Chest Press - 35lbs

Shoulder Press - 35lbs

2 hand tricep extensions (sitting with dumbbell behind my head) - 35lbs

I have motivation to achieve a flat stomach before I start bulking, it's just when guys giggle and give me weird looks because I'm so lanky, my motivation takes a hit on the chin.

Another Q for ya'll;

So as I posted I dropped about 30+ lbs, from 198-168ish now, I measured by BF back then and it was a ridiculous number like 27-28%, I'm at about 15-16% now. I still have a gut, a little bit of double chin both things I want to get rid of. I've burned the fat in most of the other areas on my bod so these are the last to go.

My question is, should I continue to cut (restricted diet,lots of cardio) or should I start my bulking?

Reason I ask is, I'm so damn lanky at 6' to give you perspective,

in dumb bells I;

Curl - 25lbs

Chest Press - 35lbs

Shoulder Press - 35lbs

2 hand tricep extensions (sitting with dumbbell behind my head) - 35lbs

I have motivation to achieve a flat stomach before I start bulking, it's just when guys giggle and give me weird looks because I'm so lanky, my motivation takes a hit on the chin.

If you're 6' and 168lbs, you're probably don't have much mucle mass. In which case, a cut down to ~10% or so body fat is pointless and extremely difficult.

You don't have enough mass to worry about a bulk/cut. Just keep hitting the gym regularly and lifting lots. Aim for 8-12 reps per set.

As you increase muscle mass, you'll look less fat, as the fat will be spread out over a greater mass. You'll also increase your metabolism.

In terms of diet just try to eat lots of clean foods. You can also add in some cardio if you want to lose fat. Whatever you do, do not run a calorie deficit at your size. You'll just end up spinning your wheels.

• Upvote 1

If you're 6' and 168lbs, you're probably don't have much mucle mass. In which case, a cut down to ~10% or so body fat is pointless and extremely difficult.

You don't have enough mass to worry about a bulk/cut. Just keep hitting the gym regularly and lifting lots. Aim for 8-12 reps per set.

As you increase muscle mass, you'll look less fat, as the fat will be spread out over a greater mass. You'll also increase your metabolism.

In terms of diet just try to eat lots of clean foods. You can also add in some cardio if you want to lose fat. Whatever you do, do not run a calorie deficit at your size. You'll just end up spinning your wheels.

I have very little muscle mass but I have a protruding gut though... I've had that for a very long time, can't remember when my stomach was flat.... I think if I slim down another 10lbs that I can get the flat stomach and then do a long-term clean bulk.... thats what Im contemplating and thats what my buddies suggest too

Getting back into running. Want to lose some fat around my gut and chin but weight loss isn't a priority.

If I want to sizen my calfs, should I just hit the hills or will regular street running do the trick?

Getting back into running. Want to lose some fat around my gut and chin but weight loss isn't a priority.

If I want to sizen my calfs, should I just hit the hills or will regular street running do the trick?

Why not both? Mix it up.

Incline would be good for your calves, and ofcourse the more you run, the easier the fat will come off.

Or go to the gym and really hit your calves.

Edited by PlayStation

I have very little muscle mass but I have a protruding gut though... I've had that for a very long time, can't remember when my stomach was flat.... I think if I slim down another 10lbs that I can get the flat stomach and then do a long-term clean bulk.... thats what Im contemplating and thats what my buddies suggest too

Taxi is a smart man. You NEED to gain some weight back. I'm very much in favor of tracking everything that you eat in a day by using a food scale to measure the intake of everything you eat, and myfitnesspal to track your daily intake.

Continuing to cut to ~10% bodyfat at your height and weight is a fools venture. You would end up suppressing you metabolism pretty horrendously through a combination of reduced cals and the lots of cardio and just thus making a complete mess of things for when you start to bulk.

Sidenote: lots of low intensity cardio is actually a horrible way to go about things when trying to lose fat. Your metabolism becomes dependent on the low intensity cardio to maintain your weight after 3-4 weeks so it's overall, not a great option as the ONLY option to get things moving again is to do more...which isn't a good option. HIIT intervals are a much better option from a metabolic standpoint, and they actually improve cardiovascular function.

Edited by Henrik Kesler

Taxi is a smart man. You NEED to gain some weight back. I'm very much in favor of tracking everything that you eat in a day by using a food scale to measure the intake of everything you eat, and myfitnesspal to track your daily intake.

Continuing to cut to ~10% bodyfat at your height and weight is a fools venture. You would end up suppressing you metabolism pretty horrendously through a combination of reduced cals and the lots of cardio and just thus making a complete mess of things for when you start to bulk.

Sidenote: lots of low intensity cardio is actually a horrible way to go about things when trying to lose fat. Your metabolism becomes dependent on the low intensity cardio to maintain your weight after 3-4 weeks so it's overall, not a great option as the ONLY option to get things moving again is to do more...which isn't a good option. HIIT intervals are a much better option from a metabolic standpoint, and they actually improve cardiovascular function.

I'm not aiming for a percentage per se, what I want is to get rid of my belly

You can lose body fat while doing heavy weights though. I'd only suggest going on a cut for newbs if you are 40+ pounds overweight. For people who just want to lose a little weight, you'll do that if you train hard. Also, as you fill out your frame and develop your core muscles, you'll appear less fat.

I think you're focussing too much on a single goal here. I'd suggest getting into the gym 3-5 times a week and workign hard and consistently. Put on some solid muscle mass and your belly will disappear on its own.

Cleaning up your diet is always a good idea too. Start eating fewer carbs and more lean meats. If you're only a few pounds overweight, you'd be surprised what a slight tweaking of your diet will do. If you haven't already cut out sugared drinks, do that right away.

Basically, what I'm saying is that as someone new to weight lifting, don't focus on bulk/cuts. Just focus on hitting the gym and eating a cleaner diet. The rest will take care of itself. Once you get to the point you have hit a wall, then you might want to try switching it up.

• Upvote 1

You can lose body fat while doing heavy weights though. I'd only suggest going on a cut for newbs if you are 40+ pounds overweight. For people who just want to lose a little weight, you'll do that if you train hard. Also, as you fill out your frame and develop your core muscles, you'll appear less fat.

I think you're focussing too much on a single goal here. I'd suggest getting into the gym 3-5 times a week and workign hard and consistently. Put on some solid muscle mass and your belly will disappear on its own.

Cleaning up your diet is always a good idea too. Start eating fewer carbs and more lean meats. If you're only a few pounds overweight, you'd be surprised what a slight tweaking of your diet will do. If you haven't already cut out sugared drinks, do that right away.

Basically, what I'm saying is that as someone new to weight lifting, don't focus on bulk/cuts. Just focus on hitting the gym and eating a cleaner diet. The rest will take care of itself. Once you get to the point you have hit a wall, then you might want to try switching it up.

Cool, yeah I agree with that.... I've for the past two months focused mainly on cardio and only did very light workout like a couple sets of few exercises (15min max) then go do 40-60mins of cardio.... It did help burn a great amount of fat, I think I should start training harder again now, and then end my workouts with a moderate amount of cardio.

Yeah the clean diet has helped tremendously, I haven't touched junk food in months, it actually feels good, like how the guy in supersize me started feeling depressed after eating nothing but mcD.

I think I'm very close to that wall now with the method im using right now, the switch will help.

..... For being my nemesis on CDC, I appreciate the advice lol :P

Cool, yeah I agree with that.... I've for the past two months focused mainly on cardio and only did very light workout like a couple sets of few exercises (15min max) then go do 40-60mins of cardio.... It did help burn a great amount of fat, I think I should start training harder again now, and then end my workouts with a moderate amount of cardio.

Yeah the clean diet has helped tremendously, I haven't touched junk food in months, it actually feels good, like how the guy in supersize me started feeling depressed after eating nothing but mcD.

I think I'm very close to that wall now with the method im using right now, the switch will help.

..... For being my nemesis on CDC, I appreciate the advice lol :P

5-10 min warm up light cardio, 40-60 minutes lifting. Go. Now.

I'm dying! Need to get back in the gym asap! Been only once in the last almost 2 weeks! Argh midterms are almost done and I'll have to make up for it with non stop gym! My back and neck are so sore from studying though -___-

I'm in your position right now... How long did it take for you to get back to form?

After only working out twice in almost four weeks I'm back at it.

For some odd reason my legs (leg press) got A LOT stronger, but my bench and military press went down substantially (only able to hit 3 reps of my 8 rep max for bench)

Even my workout buddies said I got a lot smaller up top, and I barely lost any weight.

I'm in your position right now... How long did it take for you to get back to form?

For some odd reason my legs (leg press) got A LOT stronger, but my bench and military press went down substantially (only able to hit 3 reps of my 8 rep max for bench)

Even my workout buddies said I got a lot smaller up top, and I barely lost any weight.

Meh you'll be sore the first time you go, after that its all good. Didn't experience really anything other than that. Everything was fine.

Edit: Only difference was that I lost some weight (did not keep calories up)

Edited by PlayStation

How does one maintain their strength and size if they have to take a few weeks off or can't go regularly for a period of time. It happens to all of us at some point. What is the point of this in the long run if you put in all this work over months, years, and much of it can go away in a couple weeks because of other priorities.