The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

I got a question for my fellow lifters, really need some opinions this crap is stressing me hard, I'm focusing more on this drama then the real priorities in my life....

Preface: I'm also battling depression. (med free) So for myself, smiling is like having my teeth pulled out, I just can't, I rarely do when I'm alone, only time I do is when I'm amongst or talking to my friends.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I started going to the rec center 5min walk from my house a few months ago...

I've gone from a bloated 198lbs to a now leaner 169lbs, I feel better physically hands down. I am in now way a "big" guy, I consider myself skinny, although my friends say I'm just average. I would say, in my age group I'm probably the skinniest guy working out there. It has helped boost my mood, hasn't cured the depression but I do feel better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I started going, for about 2 1/2 - 3mnths I took this cheap pre-workout, super high in caffeine like 500mg/serving (cup of coffee is 60mg).... I'm sensitive to stimulants already, label warned for someone like me not to take it..... blah blah I went through 2 tubs of the crap, it helped me shed the weight, suppressed appetite and gave me hard jittery energy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now straight up, I would go super high on caffeine, music pounding in my ears.

The receptionist(s) would smile and be polite, I would just "hi" or "hey" without smiling and go inside, the depression wouldn't let me smile and if I forced it, it would come across extremely fake and lame. After awhile I could tell they seemed to be annoyed at me, and I was labeled as "that guy" to them, I caught them a few times talking sh$% about me as I walked in (I look back there muttering something to each other while looking at me).

The trainers stationed at the gym are obviously friends with the front staff, they started to give me dirty looks as well after awhile.

So that's just the staff, now amongst the other gym goers....

I would catch myself staring at other guys/girls, in reality Im just so high on caffeine and distracted with my music thinking about 20 other things but gazing at someone, I would glance at other people in the mirror while lifting and it would be so obvious. It got to the point where I would write it on my hand to not stare at anyone.

So here is this skinny guy, music loud, jittery on caffeine, staring at people, never smiling. I'm man enough to admit that I f'd up and brought this on myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So fast forward to now, I don't take caffeine, I don't blast my music and I don't stare as much as I did before. I just try and stare into my own eyes or watch my form in the mirror while lifting.

Now, I still have depression, smiling is still a b&^tch for me, the front desk gives me the absolute evil eye when I walk in the door or they literally chuckle at me.

The trainers all stare at me, frowning.

There is like a crew of guys that frown at me whenever I walk in, and when I'm lifting, they walk by me puffing there chest out and eyeing me. Or they look at me and chuckle. The girls I stared at are obviously creeped out by me, they give me super weird looks whenever I'm near.

It's so bad, that when I was walking back home the other day, one of the guys in his ride w/ his buddy, slowed down, pointed at me to his buddy and then gave me the look that he wants to scrap with me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....... W T F am I suppose to do now? ......

I've thought of telling the staff that Im fighting depression and thats why I don't smile and that I don't mean it in a negative way, but (friends have told me) and I know, this will probably just be made into some joke and I'll be made out to be insane or f'd in the head.

There's nothing I can do/say to the other gym goers without having the same result as above.

This gym is a 5min walk for me, the other rec center (never gone too) is about a 10min drive for me.

I'm literally the black-sheep and "that guy" at this gym.

I just want to work out and improve my body and health, not deal with drama, I don't enjoy going anymore, I hate it because of this.

............ What do I do? , What would you do in my situation?

I hope someone actually reads this whole rant and gives me some good advice / perspective. (+'s given)

Edited by key2thecup

I got a question for my fellow lifters, really need some opinions this crap is stressing me hard, I'm focusing more on this drama then the real priorities in my life....

Preface: I'm also battling depression. (med free) So for myself, smiling is like having my teeth pulled out, I just can't, I rarely do when I'm alone, only time I do is when I'm amongst or talking to my friends.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've gone from a bloated 198lbs to a now leaner 169lbs, I feel better physically hands down. I am in now way a "big" guy, I consider myself skinny, although my friends say I'm just average. I would say, in my age group I'm probably the skinniest guy working out there. It has helped boost my mood, hasn't cured the depression but I do feel better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I started going, for about 2 1/2 - 3mnths I took this cheap pre-workout, super high in caffeine like 500mg/serving (cup of coffee is 60mg).... I'm sensitive to stimulants already, label warned for someone like me not to take it..... blah blah I went through 2 tubs of the crap, it helped me shed the weight, suppressed appetite and gave me hard jittery energy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The receptionist(s) would smile and be polite, I would just "hi" or "hey" without smiling and go inside, the depression wouldn't let me smile and if I forced it, it would come across extremely fake and lame. After awhile I could tell they seemed to be annoyed at me, and I was labeled as "that guy" to them, I caught them a few times talking sh$% about me as I walked in (I look back there muttering something to each other while looking at me).

The trainers stationed at the gym are obviously friends with the front staff, they started to give me dirty looks as well after awhile.

I would catch myself staring at other guys/girls, in reality Im just so high on caffeine and distracted with my music thinking about 20 other things but gazing at someone, I would glance at other people in the mirror while lifting and it would be so obvious. It got to the point where I would write it on my hand to not stare at anyone.

So here is this skinny guy, music loud, jittery on caffeine, staring at people, never smiling. I'm man enough to admit that I f'd up and brought this on myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So fast forward to now, I don't take caffeine, I don't blast my music and I don't stare as much as I did before. I just try and stare into my own eyes or watch my form in the mirror while lifting.

Now, I still have depression, smiling is still a b&^tch for me, the front desk gives me the absolute evil eye when I walk in the door or they literally chuckle at me.

There is like a crew of guys that frown at me whenever I walk in, and when I'm lifting, they walk by me puffing there chest out and eyeing me. Or they look at me and chuckle. The girls I stared at are obviously creeped out by me, they give me super weird looks whenever I'm near.

It's so bad, that when I was walking back home the other day, one of the guys in his ride w/ his buddy, slowed down, pointed at me to his buddy and then gave me the look that he wants to scrap with me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've thought of telling the staff that Im fighting depression and thats why I don't smile and that I don't mean it in a negative way, but (friends have told me) and I know, this will probably just be made into some joke and I'll be made out to be insane or f'd in the head.

There's nothing I can do/say to the other gym goers without having the same result as above.

This gym is a 5min walk for me, the other rec center (never gone too) is about a 10min drive for me.

I just want to work out and improve my body and health, not deal with drama, I don't enjoy going anymore, I hate it because of this.

I hope someone actually reads this whole rant and gives me some good advice / perspective. (+'s given)

I don't know if you'll like this answer but... Just go in there and do what you want. You're not in the gym to impress those people at the gym, you're there to benefit yourself.

Don't give a crap about what others think of you. Working out is your time, not anyone elses.

• Upvote 1

Honestly could it be that you are simply just over thinking things and its not exactly how you are thinking it is?

Could honestly be mistakenly thinking all of that.

Anyways my advice, workout with a friend, totally will distract you. Or try and speak to the staff? Or let your friend talk to them for you? If not, move on to another gym.

• Upvote 2

I don't know if you'll like this answer but... Just go in there and do what you want. You're not in the gym to impress those people at the gym, you're there to benefit yourself.

Don't give a crap about what others think of you. Working out is your time, not anyone elses.

I know man, but its to the point now its hostile for me. Staff & go-ers.

Honestly could it be that you are simply just over thinking things and its not exactly how you are thinking it is?

Could honestly be mistakenly thinking all of that.

Anyways my advice, workout with a friend, totally will distract you. Or try and speak to the staff? Or let your friend talk to them for you? If not, move on to another gym.

No doubt that, definetly is how I'm saying it..... my friends go to the gym close to them, can't really say anything to the staff without it being made into a joke, I think all I can do is drive to the other gym now.

If its that hostile then find a new gym.. theres an abundance in most cities

But as LeanBeef said.. working out should be for yourself first and foremost. You shouldn't care what other people are thinking, unless you're breaking the rules.

If you mind your own business and start getting ripped I'm sure their opinion will change

• Upvote 1

If its that hostile then find a new gym.. theres an abundance in most cities

But as LeanBeef said.. working out should be for yourself first and foremost. You shouldn't care what other people are thinking, unless you're breaking the rules.

If you mind your own business and start getting ripped I'm sure their opinion will change

Yeah man..... I guess, f 'em, I'm going to just go there 2 times a week, and goto the other gym up the street, I just liked going to this one cause it's right by my house and I just walk but they don't have a bench press, squat rack, deadlift rack or preacher curl station (all of which the other gym has).....

I haven't broken any rules what so ever, just don't fit into the social clique BS.

Edited by key2thecup

Yeah man..... I guess, f 'em, I'm going to just go there 2 times a week, and goto the other gym up the street, I just liked going to this one cause it's right by my house and I just walk but they don't have a bench press, squat rack, deadlift rack or preacher curl station (all of which the other gym has).....

I haven't broken any rules what so ever, just don't fit into the social clique BS.

They don't have a bench or squat station? That's brutal, get out of there.

• Upvote 1

They don't have a bench or squat station? That's brutal, get out of there.

lol yeah man, it's like one of the newer rec centers too.... they don't have either but they have like 6 cable machines, I asked them before why they don't there like this gym is more tailored for cross training and athletics than bodybuilding or something like that

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but you mentioned being 168 lbs and skinny?

Don't worry man, I am significantly below that weight, and always the smallest guy in the gym, but it motivates me when people stare and I lift as much as them.

As other users say, just focus on helping yourself!

• Upvote 1

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but you mentioned being 168 lbs and skinny?

Don't worry man, I am significantly below that weight, and always the smallest guy in the gym, but it motivates me when people stare and I lift as much as them.

As other users say, just focus on helping yourself!

Thanks bro, thats what I think Ima do.... goto the other gym on certain days to hit the bench, squat and deads, and go here on other days...

I just don't want to get jumped since this entire crew of go'ers there hate me, caught one of them pointing at me today and saying something to his buddy

Right now theres no direct verbal crap to me, its just stares and frowns..... one of the trainers stared me down today too....

Edited by key2thecup

Thanks bro, thats what I think Ima do.... goto the other gym on certain days to hit the bench, squat and deads, and go here on other days...

I just don't want to get jumped since this entire crew of go'ers there hate me, caught one of them pointing at me today and saying something to his buddy

Right now theres no direct verbal crap to me, its just stares and frowns..... one of the trainers stared me down today too....

I think you're over-looking things due to your depression. People with depression often over-think things and make small situations into something bigger. Maybe the guy just wanted to see if you were the guy from his gym when he drove past you, and nothing more. I remember when i dealt with slight depression (due to a death in my family) i always thought that i was gonna get jumped and thought I was getting set up and couldn't trust anyone (not even my closest friends).

But anyways, I would try going to the other gym but if that isn't working for you, go back to your other gym, lay off the caffeine and talk to the people you think that wanna jump you. Just start off with "Hey, sorry to bother you but i was wondering if you knew any pre-workout supplement i can take? I've been taking caffeine for some time now and i've noticed i've been jittery, frequently staring at people and its actually been causing me to be slightly depressed". Even if you don't need another pre-supplement, just talk to them anyways, it'll help.

Anyways, don't be worried at whoever judges you, you're there to workout, it boosted your mood and you feel better so postives > negatives and besides, the caffeine making you do weird things, but its also helping you workout.

Hope you can solve this situation, be sure to give updates :)

I think you're over-looking things due to your depression. People with depression often over-think things and make small situations into something bigger. Maybe the guy just wanted to see if you were the guy from his gym when he drove past you, and nothing more. I remember when i dealt with slight depression (due to a death in my family) i always thought that i was gonna get jumped and thought I was getting set up and couldn't trust anyone (not even my closest friends).

But anyways, I would try going to the other gym but if that isn't working for you, go back to your other gym, lay off the caffeine and talk to the people you think that wanna jump you. Just start off with "Hey, sorry to bother you but i was wondering if you knew any pre-workout supplement i can take? I've been taking caffeine for some time now and i've noticed i've been jittery, frequently staring at people and its actually been causing me to be slightly depressed". Even if you don't need another pre-supplement, just talk to them anyways, it'll help.

Anyways, don't be worried at whoever judges you, you're there to workout, it boosted your mood and you feel better so postives > negatives and besides, the caffeine making you do weird things, but its also helping you workout.

Hope you can solve this situation, be sure to give updates :)

lol dude this was right outside the gym and he pointed at me and started gigglin with his bud, im not misjudging the situation, it is what it is... I appreciate your advice though

i've never dealt with any social clique BS in a gym. you go in, do your thing, don't talk, don't make eye contact and you get out. sort of like taking public transit. lol. your problem originated from the spacing out and staring. no one likes to be stared at! it either creeps people out making people avoid you or it turns them aggressive. knee-jerk reaction would be "wtf are you looking at?"

you've already got a rep at this gym and that's hard to alter. i'd say move gyms. keep a low profile. no one cares if you avoid people or don't smile or don't talk to anyone. however, they will notice if your social behaviour is different. be aware of what makes them uncomfortable. i guess you are aware though.. lol. i guess.. just control it..

• Upvote 2

lol dude this was right outside the gym and he pointed at me and started gigglin with his bud, im not misjudging the situation, it is what it is... I appreciate your advice though

That can mean anything. They can be pointing at a piece of equipment near you and laughing at how bad it is.

i've never dealt with any social clique BS in a gym. you go in, do your thing, don't talk, don't make eye contact and you get out. sort of like taking public transit. lol. your problem originated from the spacing out and staring. no one likes to be stared at! it either creeps people out making people avoid you or it turns them aggressive. knee-jerk reaction would be "wtf are you looking at?"

you've already got a rep at this gym and that's hard to alter. i'd say move gyms. keep a low profile. no one cares if you avoid people or don't smile or don't talk to anyone. however, they will notice if your social behaviour is different. be aware of what makes them uncomfortable. i guess you are aware though.. lol. i guess.. just control it..

Yeah man, no doubt I brought this onto myself by spacing out, I agree I really don't think I can alter my rep, Im the blacksheep here amongst everyone.

That can mean anything. They can be pointing at a piece of equipment near you and laughing at how bad it is.

No this occurred outside the gym as I'm walking home, not inside. Direct eye contact with me, then turn to buddy point at me and giggle.

I'm dying! Need to get back in the gym asap! Been only once in the last almost 2 weeks! Argh midterms are almost done and I'll have to make up for it with non stop gym! My back and neck are so sore from studying though -___-

Im in the exact same situation. It sucks because you feel like you lost all your gains you worked for in the last month because you're sitting on you butt for 2 weeks straight.

Working out between all the studying would probably be really beneficial, but I just don't wanna lose that time.

I have 4 exams in 7 days. Finally done on Wednesday!

Im in the exact same situation. It sucks because you feel like you lost all your gains you worked for in the last month because you're sitting on you butt for 2 weeks straight.

Working out between all the studying would probably be really beneficial, but I just don't wanna lose that time.

I have 4 exams in 7 days. Finally done on Wednesday!

Same, 4 in 6 days however. (Week before that was busy with tons of homework and quizzes) So I really do not have any time to waste, haven't even been able to play GTA online for more than 20 minutes :(

2 more days and we are both free :)

Edit: do you still pound the calories when not lifting? If Im not going to the gym for an extended period of time I pull back on the calories to an amount where I'd be "cutting"

I only eat big, when I lift, dont want to go through a huge bulk where I'll cut for over month, so I just go a little over maintenance.

Edited by PlayStation